Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is How We Do It

Raiders retain HC Dennis Allen: C Grade
    One trait that quality head coaches possess is an ability to make good half-time adjustments. Dennis Allen could not do that. The Raiders would've been 7-7-2 this season had their halftime scores stood as the final result, so keep that in mind when I tell you how much they were outscored by in second halves this year: 214-135!

Allen hasn't shown any signs that he can be a head coach in the NFL. His team didn't try hard in some games this year (Week 9 vs. Eagles, Week 14 vs. Jets, Week 17 vs. Broncos come to mind). Allen is also extremely fortunate that he had offensive coordinator Greg Olson to coach up Terrelle Pryor and Matt McGloin; otherwise, Oakland's 2013 season could've been a complete disaster.

I'm not giving the Raiders a terrible grade for not making a move, however, because it's not exactly Allen's fault that he's had crap quarterbacks to work with. Outside of Bill Belichick and Jim Harbaugh, who could possibly win with Pryor and McGloin?

Raiders sign G/OT Rodger Saffold (5 years, $42.5M; $21M guaranteed): MILLEN SOCHI TWO-TOILET EXPERIENCE Grade
    Reggie McKenzie continues to destroy the Raiders. From the man who spent a first-round pick on a second-round corner prospect with a heart problem and refused to franchise anyone this offseason, McKenzie's latest deal might be the biggest joke of all.

I don't understand this. Why didn't McKenzie just franchise Jared Veldheer, who happens to be better than Rodger Saffold? And does McKenzie really think Saffold can play left tackle? Because he can't. He can't even stay healthy. Saffold has missed 17 games in the past three seasons, so why would he suddenly remain healthy on the West Coast?

I get that McKenzie has lots of money to spend this offseason, but this is the type of deal that will screw Oakland down the road.

Raiders sign OT Austin Howard (5 years, $30M; $15M guaranteed): C- Grade
    Reggie McKenzie... why? What are you doing, Reggie? Why are you throwing tons of money at a right tackle when right tackles, as we've seen, are a dime-a-dozen? Why didn't you just franchise Jared Veldheer? Why haven't you noticed that you just gave Austin Howard nearly as much guaranteed money as Jason Peters received from the Eagles ($19 million)?

I like this move better than the Rodger Saffold acquisition, which was just awful, but it still deserves a poor grade. Howard will provide an upgrade at right tackle, but there's no question that Oakland has overpaid for his services.

j/k

Now for real:

Broncos sign S T.J. Ward (4 years, $23M; $14M guaranteed): A+ Grade
    Wow. How did the Broncos land T.J. Ward, one of the top free agents on the market, to a deal worth less than $6 million per year? This is an amazing signing, and it's well worth the first A+ of the day (not counting the Jaguars actually getting something for Blaine Gabbert, because that still seems unreal).

The safety position was a big need for Denver and getting a major talent like Ward really improves the pass defense. The Broncos just got a lot better.

Broncos sign CB Aqib Talib (6 years, $57M; $26M guaranteed): B Grade
    I love Aqib Talib for 1-year deals. I hate Aqib Talib getting a long-term contract. Talib has frequent meltdowns and is always in danger of getting into some off-the-field incident, so in ordinary circumstances, handing him a 6-year, $57 million contract with $26 million guaranteed could be completely disastrous.

With all of that said, this is a quality signing for a couple of reasons. First, the Broncos are thinking short-term. They know they have just a couple more seasons left with Peyton Manning, so they're going "all in" now while sacrificing the future. This is a fine strategy for them because they're in for a major decline once Manning moves on regardless. Second, I love that Denver is once again spitting in the face of its arch rival by stealing one of its valuable players. Talib was great for the Patriots last year, yet now Denver will have his great coverage on its side.

John Elway did a great job of fixing his questionable secondary on the first day of free agency. The Broncos have solidified themselves as the favorites to come out of the AFC, and it's not even looking remotely close right now.

Broncos sign DE DeMarcus Ware (3 years, $30M; $20M guaranteed): A+ Grade
    Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware on the same defense? I think every quarterback in the AFC West just crapped their pants.

Ware is coming off a down year, but if he can get healthy in 2014, he has the potential to lead the NFL in sacks, especially with Miller commanding attention on the other side. Ware has endured several injuries recently, so there's no guarantee that he'll be close to 100 percent, but the risk is definitely worth the reward.

It's just unbelievable that the Broncos are getting deals like this. As a reference, Lamarr Houston, who has 16.5 career sacks, was given nearly as much guaranteed money ($15 million) from Chicago. Michael Johnson, who notched just 3.5 sacks in 2013, received more guaranteed money ($24 million) from Tampa Bay. And my personal favorite, Everson Griffen, who has just one career start, signed a larger contract with Minnesota ($42.5M overall; $20M guaranteed). John Elway is just trolling these teams at this point.

John beast mode Elway

Comment

Where is this at so I can read the others.

SD actually got a great deal on Donald.

Comment

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php

Comment

Nice to see the deals in perspective. Not over paying anyone. Maybe a gamble on the length for Talib. Of course the flip side of that gamble is that we may have locked that position down for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by manchambo View Post
            Nice to see the deals in perspective. Not over paying anyone. Maybe a gamble on the length for Talib. Of course the flip side of that gamble is that we may have locked that position down for several years.
            Talib is basically a 3 year deal (the term of the guarantee). Ignore the "fluff" as even Elway used that term today in the press conference.

Comment

Super Bowl loss is really to credit here.

followed by free weed

followed by Peyton Manning weed

followed by Peyton Manning

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
                Super Bowl loss is really to credit here.

followed by free weed

followed by Peyton Manning weed

followed by Peyton Manning

Comment

It's Wednesday night, and I feel alright.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0hiUuL5uTKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                    the Broncos are thinking short-term. They know they have just a couple more seasons left with Peyton Manning, so they're going "all in" now while sacrificing the future.
                    that's the thing, though. they aren't really "sacrificing the future" with any of these signings.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
                      that's the thing, though. they aren't really "sacrificing the future" with any of these signings.
                      True. "Sacrificing the future" is a myth perpetuated by jealous fans from rival teams and some worrywarts here on the Mane.

Comment

Working...
                      X