Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Fox contract extension?

The silence is hard to ignore.

Nothing new since Elway stated he was supposed to meet with Fox's reps at the combine.

Not so much as a blurb about "it went well" or "they are far apart" or "we are confident a deal will get done".

Anyone heard anything recently?

Dude is either going to have prove the team doesn't melt down this year and go at least 8 games in at 7-1 or 8-0 to get an extension before winning the SB.

He is going to have to prove he is worth it, I am guessing he doesn't get one until at least week 8 if not later.

Comment

I see no reason to give Fox an extension yet. Let him coach like he is on the hot seat this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Stout View Post
        I see no reason to give Fox an extension yet. Let him coach like he is on the hot seat this year.
        I've never been a big fan of coaches having "lame duck" seasons - meaning, prove it seasons or obvious "we aren't re-signing you next year" seasons.

It gives the team a built in excuse for dysfunction.

Comment

Haven't heard anything, don't know anything, but I have been inclined to speculate recently...I'm not sure what the state of his health may have to do with this. Behind closed doors he may be looking to dial things back a little or even retire after his heart scare. It could be that the lack of noise has been down to the fact that they might be planning to just let the contract run out and do a graceful transition to another in-house candidate.

Not saying I want this to happen, and its pure speculation that I wouldn't even bother to post if it wasn't offseason. Probably I'm way off base and the extension will be announced soon but I must admit the lack of talk has me curious and speculative.....

I'm thinking 'graceful transition' because if there was any conflict or disconnect you might have one side or the other's people making a noise in the media. Silence tends to indicate agreement one way or another...(but could just as easily mean its all but done)

Comment

Originally posted by chrisp View Post
            Haven't heard anything, don't know anything, but I have been inclined to speculate recently...I'm not sure what the state of his health may have to do with this. Behind closed doors he may be looking to dial things back a little or even retire after his heart scare. It could be that the lack of noise has been down to the fact that they might be planning to just let the contract run out and do a graceful transition to another in-house candidate.

Not saying I want this to happen, and its pure speculation that I wouldn't even bother to post if it wasn't offseason. Probably I'm way off base and the extension will be announced soon but I must admit the lack of talk has me curious and speculative.....

I'm thinking 'graceful transition' because if there was any conflict or disconnect you might have one side or the other's people making a noise in the media. Silence tends to indicate agreement one way or another...(but could just as easily mean its all but done)
            That's some mighty fine speculatin' sir!

He has talked in the recent past about retiring fairly soon, so I can definitely see that scenario, although he also has stated he feels 150% better now than he did before his heart surgery. So who knows!?

The other scenario I can think of is that Elway isn't happy with the "lay down" mentality displayed in high pressure situations over the past two seasons and has told him that he wants to see improvement this season before he'll commit to extra seasons with Fox.

Who knows!?

All I know is that it is very "weird" that we haven't heard anything since the combine.

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
              I've never been a big fan of coaches having "lame duck" seasons - meaning, prove it seasons or obvious "we aren't re-signing you next year" seasons.

It gives the team a built in excuse for dysfunction.
              didn't this work for Carolina and their HC Ron Rivera who just got an new contract but only after the team did much better?

I'm all for not extending Fox. Let him prove he can win a SB first.

Comment

Why should we extend Norv Turner II. Can't get team ready for a SB that soured me on him quite a bit.

Comment

How did the lame duck season go for Fox in Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
                    Why should we extend Norv Turner II. Can't get team ready for a SB that soured me on him quite a bit.
                    The Nuggets say, beware what you ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by SpringStein View Post
                      The Nuggets say, beware what you ask for.
                      That isn't fair the Nuggets changed their style of play 100% you figured they would suck until they added talent to fit his scheme. Whether you agreed with change or not.

I know they will keep Fox as long as Manning's here and maybe longer. I like alot of what he's done but, I do question him in big games and motivating area alot.
                      Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 03-04-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Norv Turner is one of the better offensive coordinators. I honestly don't think Fox is close to that as a d coordinator. I think the best thing Fox brings is a good locker room atmosphere. Players generally don't complain about him.

Comment

Fox Should get a Not too shabby contract....

Comment

That isn't fair the Nuggets changed their style of play 100% you figured they would suck until they added talent to fit his scheme. Whether you agreed with change or not.

I know they will keep Fox as long as Manning's here and maybe longer. I like alot of what he's done but, I do question him in big games and motivating area alot.
                            And who says the Broncos new staff wouldn't change their style of play? Happens almost every time there is a coaching change.

I'd much rather watch the Nuggets win 60 games and be entertaining and lose in the playoffs than to watch them play for a good draft selection.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisp View Post

I thought it was more telling that Elway resigned JDR as a DC so quickly yet hasn't made a move on Fox.

Fox puts up or moves on and they promote JDR next year, not too hard to speculate on this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X