Derek Wolfe’s nervous system “started shutting down” during seizure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek Wolfe’s nervous system “started shutting down” during seizure

Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe missed the final five games of the regular season and the entire playoffs after suffering a seizure in late November, but he says he’s ready to start training again next week.

Wolfe shared the news with Lionel Bienvenu of ABC-7 in Denver as part of an interview about his condition. Wolfe said that he thought the spinal cord injury he suffered in preseason had healed completely, but that he tried to come back too quickly from it and it “screwed up my nervous system” as a result.

Wolfe said his nervous system “started shutting down” on the team bus to the airport for a trip to Kansas City and he was knocked out for the next 26 hours. He woke up in the ICU and told Bienvenu that he broke the hospital bed while nurses tried to hold him down when he came around with no idea where he was. Rest has been the only thing on Wolfe’s plate since then, but he says he’s ready to start working out after regaining 20 lost pounds.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs
    Last edited by Drunk Monkey; 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM.

Good to hear. Denver needs him to come back healthy in 2014.

Comment

I wish I could lose 20 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
        Sorry if this has been poster but it was news to me to finally hear what was going on with methwolf.

Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe missed the final five games of the regular season and the entire playoffs after suffering a seizure in late November, but he says he’s ready to start training again next week.

Wolfe shared the news with Lionel Bienvenu of ABC-7 in Denver as part of an interview about his condition. Wolfe said that he thought the spinal cord injury he suffered in preseason had healed completely, but that he tried to come back too quickly from it and it “screwed up my nervous system” as a result.

Wolfe said his nervous system “started shutting down” on the team bus to the airport for a trip to Kansas City and he was knocked out for the next 26 hours. He woke up in the ICU and told Bienvenu that he broke the hospital bed while nurses tried to hold him down when he came around with no idea where he was. Rest has been the only thing on Wolfe’s plate since then, but he says he’s ready to start working out after regaining 20 lost pounds.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs
        Damn dude, that would be scary trying to hold a man like that down in that context.

Comment

Looks like that one dude that came here saying he knew something was more serious months ago was right. Forget his screen name but I apologize for kickin him(you) around

Comment

Dang. First of all, I hope it's fully recovered (for his life after football), seems like it is and he's ready to get back to "just like to kick ass"

Comment

Would be great if he can come back completely healthy. Scary injury though.

Comment

Unconscious for 26 hours. Wow.

Comment

Sounds like autonomic dysreflexia. And even if he were to come back healthy, he's crazy for ever wanting to play another down.

Comment

Freaky ****. Hope his doctors are on top of this. Nothing to mess around with.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                      Unconscious for 26 hours. Wow.
                      Likely a medically induced unconscious state to stop the seizures and autonomic hyperactivity.

Comment

Two players and a coach who all had brushes with death in the middle of the season. Here's to a boring 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                          Sounds like autonomic dysreflexia. And even if he were to come back healthy, he's crazy for ever wanting to play another down.
                          Dyslexia is a mother****er.

Let's skip the part where I google what you just said and pretend I'm a smart mother****er and you just tell me. Can we do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                            Well wikipedia tells me that it is "associated with throbbing headaches, profuse sweating, nasal stuffiness, flushing of the skin," etc. Which is probably why they put out initially that it was the flu.

Comment

Please note again this is pure speculation based on the quote from him (paraphrasing) "my wires got mixed up due to my spinal cord injury." I'm not a neurosurgeon, but have seen this syndrome in the flesh, albeit in people with actual paralysis from spinal cord injuries. It just sounds like it very well could be autonomic dysreflexia, and would make sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X