Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15-yard penalty for use of N-word

NFL expected to adopt 15-yard penalty for use of N-word on the field

The NFL is throwing a flag on use of the N-word.

In a groundbreaking move, the league is expected to agree to start penalizing players 15 yards for uttering the racial slur on the field, according to the group that monitors diversity in the league.

John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, said the rule will likely be adopted by the NFL competition committee at March’s owners meetings.

“I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we’re trying to do,” Wooten said, according to CBSSports.com. “We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room.

Under the possible new rule, homophobic slurs might also be outlawed because, as Wooten reiterated, "there is too much disrespect in the game."

Retired Giants star Harry Carson, who is now the executive director of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, told the Daily News that a rule allowing officials to penalize players for using the N-word is “already in place.”

The word is considered unsportsmanlike conduct, Carson said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1698783

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...the-field.html

N-word N-word N-word

Comment

I find it hilarious that the NFL has to feel like they need to take on a politically correct angle here. So does this mean all rap songs are not allowed to play in the parking lot or locker rooms? Check those beats headphones at the door son. Better not watch a movie anywhere near the facility.

Jay Z will be banned at least 500 feet from any stadium.

NFL. Continuing to be a joke.

Comment

consider there are more black players in the league, this rule seems racist.

Comment

****a, ****a, ****a, don't believe me just watch.

Seriously though, will they get rid of other cuss word and slurs as well? BTW, the majority people using this word are blacks (I'm one) and it's mostly used to refer to a friend or someone you know.

No white player would use this at a black player on the field unless they wanted their head beat in anyway.

This just screams of a PR stunt to me.

Comment

Hate the word no matter who uses it. Wish the word never existed. It'll suck to be a referee. How will they prove someone actually said it? Too subjective IMO. Good intentions, but bad move by the league.
            Last edited by Traveler; 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Does the rule specify whether it ends with "ger" or "ga"?

Apparently this matters to some people.

Comment

Words also banned are poopy head, cracker, and Bill Vinovich.

Comment

Thankfully, it's only a 5 yard penalty for thinking bad thoughts about another player.

Comment

You can gain 10 yards if you use the term "yippie kai yay Mister Falcon"

Comment

I agree with Harry Carson. This is already covered under unsportsmanlike conduct. This rule smells of weak PC in reaction to the Incognito bs.

Is it still okay to recite some guy's gf's phone number?

Comment

the NFL is really becoming not worth watching. I personally never say that word or really any racial terms, but these are grown ass men playing sports. give me a break. the league is really turning into that sarcastaball joke from south park.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vlv6BrrxD_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                        Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 02-25-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                          You can gain 10 yards if you use the term "yippie kai yay Mister Falcon"
                          what does the neutered tv version of "this is what happens when you find a man in the alps" for The Big Lebowski get you?

Comment

Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post
                            Does the rule specify whether it ends with "ger" or "ga"?

Apparently this matters to some people.
                            ! But this is one of the dumbest rules ever (and I'm a black guy saying it). I bet Goodell is going to sneak another hypocritic move like adding an extra game or more games in Europe after this PR move!

Comment

Asked whether NOB's (National Obesity Brotherhood) recent complaint about fat jokes will be considered Wooten stated, "You see, now that's disrespectful. And under the proposed rule thyroid jokes and male breast reduction jokes could fall under this new rule. As with pretty much every new rule the competition committee passes, it's going to be up to the fluid whims of each officiating crew. But we want people to know that the NFL is aware of and sensitive of NOB's movement and we support the nation's growing obese market."

Wooten declined to comment on whether the "growing obese market" was an intentional pun.

Comment

Working...
                              X