40 time question .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 time question .

On a scale of 1-10 how important is the running back and wide receiver 40 time ? It seems the focus is all about 40 times as normal. Anyways just curious.

Chef Luigi would be better suited to answer this question than I can.

I will defer to him.

Comment

For WRs and RBs not that important, maybe a 1 or 2. Now for OL, it's quintessential, at least a 9!

Comment

I'd say about a 5. It's not as important as some people think, but it is more important than other people think. I'd say that athletes simply need to be in the proper range. If you're a WR, you don't have to run a 4.3, but you better not run a 4.8.

The 40, just like a lot of those other tests, just show if a player is athletic enough to play in the NFL, but it does not show if the player can actually play football. If you're not athletic enough to play on that level, then the skills and knowledge of the game don't really matter all that much. And at the same time, if a player doesn't have the skills or knowledge, then it really doesn't matter how athletic they are.

Comment

Interesting, NFL's website has De'Anthony Thomas running a 4.50 40. I saw that his unofficial time was 4.34. But we've seen the tape on Thomas, and we know that he has blazing speed. So what does his 40 time say? I guess not much.

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
            On a scale of 1-10 how important is the running back and wide receiver 40 time ? It seems the focus is all about 40 times as normal. Anyways just curious.
            I never thought it meant much. just works for bragging rights. how often in the NFL are you ever going to be just straight line running.

For RB the drills I always paid most attention to were the broad jump, vertical jump and 3 cone drill. the jumps show the leg strength the guy has and the 3 cone shows whether or not he is able to quickly change direction.

with WR I pay attention to the 3 cone drill because it helps evaluate how well a receiver can make his breaks on his route running.

With the 40 I am less interested in the overall time, but more interested in the initial burst and first 10 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by BMORE View Post
              For WRs and RBs not that important, maybe a 1 or 2. Now for OL, it's quintessential, at least a 9!
              Maurice Clarett would agree with you after ripping off a 4.72 and 4.82 seconds in the 40. ...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                Maurice Clarett would agree with you after ripping off a 4.72 and 4.82 seconds in the 40. ...
                ! Not to shabby!

Comment

I'd say it's important, but I don't really put much emphasis on it. Many players are faster on the field than their 40-times would indicate. There's a lot of really, really good receivers who ran 4.7-times and slower, for example. Super-speed itself is not always going to be put to use anyway since players are frequently cutting and following plays, not running a track meet. Personally, I like to pay attention to the cone drills since it's such a good indicator of burst, acceleration, and agility.

Comment

HUH I really thought this would go the way of its not important. I really think its over hyped. It just seems to me that the 40 time just has nothing to do with game speed but yet all they talk about is 40 time on the combine .

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
                      HUH I really thought this would go the way of its not important. I really think its over hyped. It just seems to me that the 40 time just has nothing to do with game speed but yet all they talk about is 40 time on the combine .
                      I've read that scouts are more interested in the splits. They not only want to know what your 40 time is, but how quickly you got to speed. The actual time is for ESPN to get excited about, but teams definitely analyze the run itself.

Comment

40 time matters. It matters more to WRs and RBs. As Mike Mayock would say he's quicker than fast. He's referring to the split, those players tend to be your Wes Welker types. Whereas a fast 40 time would show the ability to run away from a defense, and hit the homerun.

Comment

I am not sure I have heard of "running the 40" -- but in golf they do "driving the 40" -- which measures how long it takes the ball to go 40 yards in the air after being hit with the club. . . and sometimes, just sometimes, the club goes further than the ball.

Comment

I think that Al Davis proved for all time that a good 40 time is a poor (or at least an incomplete) predictor of a good player.

I think that for most positions it only becomes important if it is below the normal range--at some point you are just too slow to play a particular position, but there are good and great players within a standard range, and the faster ones aren't necessarily much better.

Comment

Quickness and power more important for RB and WR IMO but 40 times show the DNA of athletics. Things like how high you jump, how fast you are, tells them if you are a freak or not.

We get caught up in 40 times, but i think the short shuttle, the bench press just as important. They want to see power and explosion, along with flat out speed.

I think for smaller wr it is very important to run fast, but for the bigger physical guys prob not as much.

Comment

Working...
                              X