2014 NFL Combine Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
    Deep class at OT and teams who need QBs will push back some players of need for us.
    OT, DT/DE, WR are 3 positions that seem deeper than usual this year. Which is a good thing for Denver considering their needs. Lack of an elite CB doesn't really effect Denver too much as I see value in the late 1st-3rd round there.

I think Denver can make hay this draft even if they sit tight and let the draft work itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
      Lmao. Meanwhile Mayock says this is the deepest draft in 10 years.

Deep class at OT and teams who need QBs will push back some players of need for us.
      That is why I am hoping Tuitt falls to us. He is down to 300 pounds and I think he is athletic enough to play LDE for us and still get to the QB. We are talking about a Seymour type player at pick 31.

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
        I have to disagree with you here. For the short time we had Von and Phillips on the field at the same time I felt that the pass rush can come from more places and not lose to much in the run defense.
        At this point in his career Phillips is more of a DE than a pure OLB.
        He has been that way somewhat since he has been in the league, similar to Woodley,Ware and Porter.

Van Noy to me is more of a pure OLB who will be very rarely able to slide down and put his hand on the ground and rush as a DE on a major per snap basis.
        Which would make him a situational pass rusher for us unless you play Von more at DE and take one of the other DL off or you take Trev off the field and let Van Noy slide into his position.

There isn't enough room for Van Noy unless he bulks up into a more pure DE.
        I don't think that will be his best position.

Comment

I think Mayock is garbage as an evaluator.

Tuitt is not any different from Malik Jackson or Derek Wolfe. Tuitt is a good player, but we already have two other 5-tech/3-tech's.

Comment

I'm not really sure we should assume Wolfe is just going to be right back in the lineup. Even if he is, I disagree that Tuitt isn't any different that Malik or Wolfe. Playing the same position<>being the same player.

NYG and Seattle's Super Bowl winning teams have proven that investing in DL isn't really a bad idea anyway. If Tuitt is there, I think it's hard to pass on him. Depends on who else is there of course.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
              I'm not really sure we should assume Wolfe is just going to be right back in the lineup. Even if he is, I disagree that Tuitt isn't any different that Malik or Wolfe. Playing the same position<>being the same player.

NYG and Seattle's Super Bowl winning teams have proven that investing in DL isn't really a bad idea anyway. If Tuitt is there, I think it's hard to pass on him. Depends on who else is there of course.
              Truitt is a way better player at 300 pounds then Wolfe is. I believe Truitt will make a Richardson like impact his first year in the NFL and like you said who knows if Wolfe will even play and if he does bonus for us.

Comment

If you draft Van Noy, you do so with the notion that Von plays RDE. I know most don't like this, but that's what Von does best. It takes a position of need and makes it a strength.

Van Noy would not leave the field, he would be our SLB and would play LB in subpackages with Trevethan. His best asset is his ability in coverage. He has shown the ability to get after the passer, which makes him a moveable piece like Von.

Comment

He's not the same, but he plays the same position (5-tech/3-tech). Tuitt is probably better than both players, and would probably be the BPA at #31 if he is still there.

But I don't get why you would keep trying to fill the same hole, when you already have guys doing a good job at that position. There are plenty other holes to fill.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                    But I don't get why you would keep trying to fill the same hole, when you already have guys doing a good job at that position. There are plenty other holes to fill.
                    i don't think Malik is starting-caliber. I think he's better as a rotational pass rusher and I don't think it's smart to depend on Wolfe coming back. I reallyl hope he can, but it's a weird situation. So from that standpoint, I don't look at it as having stellar options at the position. It;s a critical position and from my POV, I think Denver can stand to upgrade it. if Tuitt can play at an elite level (which, given the comparisons to Seymoure), I think it's a position that you almost have to take if he's BPA. the more I think of it, the more I think it might be a moot issue as I think Tuitt will rise as the draft nears.

As for Van Noy, I think a lot of his pass rush skill is overstated. Playing across from Ziggy Ansah he was highly productive. but once Ansah was gone, he ws more pedestrian. I understand that offenses focused on him, but if elite pass rush skill is there, I tend to think the production will reflect that. And I don't like the idea of moving Miller to DE. His abillity to move around and his quicks from the LB position make him a unique pass rusher.

just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by elsid13 View Post
                      I think this very deep draft in WR, so we don't need to reach for either replacement early in the draft.
                      What? That makes no sense.You don't grab a WR when its deep, but you grab one when its shallow?

Comment

• Originally posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
                        What? That makes no sense.You don't grab a WR when its deep, but you grab one when its shallow?
                        If its a deep draft in that position you don't have take that position early and you don't need to trade up to get a player at a certain position.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
                          i don't think Malik is starting-caliber. I think he's better as a rotational pass rusher and I don't think it's smart to depend on Wolfe coming back. I reallyl hope he can, but it's a weird situation. So from that standpoint, I don't look at it as having stellar options at the position. It;s a critical position and from my POV, I think Denver can stand to upgrade it. if Tuitt can play at an elite level (which, given the comparisons to Seymoure), I think it's a position that you almost have to take if he's BPA. the more I think of it, the more I think it might be a moot issue as I think Tuitt will rise as the draft nears.
                          You're right about Tuitt, he should be a top 25 prospect. Don't forget that both Jackson and Wolfe are both entering their 3rd year, and will probably both have pretty darn good years depending on where Del Rio plays them.

As for Van Noy, I think a lot of his pass rush skill is overstated. Playing across from Ziggy Ansah he was highly productive. but once Ansah was gone, he ws more pedestrian. I understand that offenses focused on him, but if elite pass rush skill is there, I tend to think the production will reflect that. And I don't like the idea of moving Miller to DE. His abillity to move around and his quicks from the LB position make him a unique pass rusher.

just my 2 cents.
                          That's a really good take, and I agree with all of it. I don't think Van Noy is as good as Shaun Phillips, even though Phillips has limitations too. I don't see anything wrong with the DL, other than they need to find an impact RDE. Re-signing Shaun Phillips might be the best they can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                            Lmao. Meanwhile Mayock says this is the deepest draft in 10 years.

Looks pretty good to me. I'm really hoping the Broncos will grab one of these good safeties or CBs with that 31 pick.

Comment

• Van Noy is an OLB.. His best attribute is dropping into coverage. He was used to rush the passer at times, but is not a DE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                                No way Mosley is there. Call me crazy but I want a veteran at MLB this year. Someone like Smith. Unless it's a top 10 pick I find it hard to see a rookie come in and show leadership/be a leader of a defense at that position in probably our last true chance at a SB run in this window. 2 or 3 years ya I could see a rookie develop into a leader but this year id rather see someone who's got some experience to hold that spot.
                                this

Comment

Working...
                                X