Football sucks - Speedskating Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football sucks - Speedskating Rules

Dutch speedskating coach Jillert Anema knows how the United States can improve on its Olympic 0-fer on the Sochi ovals -- stop playing sports like football.

"You have a lot of attention for foolish sport, like American football," Anema told CNBC on Friday. "You waste a lot of talent, athletic talent, in a sport where it's meant to kill each other, to injure each other.

"... (The U.S.) is so narrow-minded, and you waste a lot of good talent in a sport that sucks."

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2...g-not-football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...k81BnxNds#t=96

Comment

well, its true to an extent. a huge, huge amount of our athletic talent goes towards football (its what gets scholarships and pays, i dont blame them, just how it is). imagine how we could compete in weightlifting or other power, speed-strength sports if they had the base that football has.

Comment

That's why Shani Davis gold medaled in the last two Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
          That's why Shani Davis gold medaled in the last two Olympics.
          the quote was in response to a question about the US' declining relevance in the sport. which, you know, implies that there was past success. I'm pretty sure the Dutch speed skating coach is aware of America's historical standing in his sport.

Comment

American professional sports create thousands of millionaires every single year.

If that dutchy sells his gold medal, he might be able to make rent this month.

Comment

Originally posted by extralife View Post
              the quote was in response to a question about the US' declining relevance in the sport. which, you know, implies that there was past success. I'm pretty sure the Dutch speed skating coach is aware of America's historical standing in his sport.
              It's not their fault the suits were crap.

Comment

See what happens when you legalize hashish?

Comment

In fact, if this guy wasn't such a fairy, he may have had a shot to come to the US and be a card carrying toothless member of the NHL...which I'm sure he has no problem with.

Comment

He can suck coch if you ask me. Speedskating compared to football, gimme a F'n break you F'n Dutch Fag. Shut your F'n mouth before one of our football players knocks you the F out, MF.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                      He can suck coch if you ask me. Speedskating compared to football, gimme a F'n break you F'n Dutch Fag. Shut your F'n mouth before one of our football players knocks you the F out, MF.
                      eloquent as always, zona

Comment

Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post
                        well, its true to an extent. a huge, huge amount of our athletic talent goes towards football (its what gets scholarships and pays, i dont blame them, just how it is). imagine how we could compete in weightlifting or other power, speed-strength sports if they had the base that football has.
                        ! Yeah! Brutus, do you want to play football as a Linebacker or try to put on some ice skates and speed around this oval for us?

Football is a sport for big guys that would rarely be at another sport.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                          Football is a sport for big guys that would rarely be at another sport.
                          true for linemen, but certainly not for most of the people on the field.

Comment

To be fair,

1) the Dutch are bat**** crazy about speedskating. Anything short of national obsession is going to look half-assed in their eyes.

2) from the outside (hell, even the inside) football looks pretty barbaric compared to almost any other international sport (save maybe rugby).

Still, despite the stranglehold of football, baseball and basketball on male athletic talent, the US manages to dominate the summer games and be one of the top countries in the winter games. The only tradeoff that's slightly bittersweet in my mind is that we'd probably have an elite level soccer league in the US if football hadn't developed. And win the World Cup once in a while.

Comment

If we were going to pick another sport to love nationally, it sure as hell wouldn't be speedskating, might at well pick badminton

Comment

Working...
                              X