Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montee Ball expects to have 'huge role' on Broncos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Montee Ball expects to have 'huge role' on Broncos

    "I'm going to play a huge role in next year's success," Ball told Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post, "and I'm really looking forward to it."

    Ball was drafted No. 58 overall last year to make an immediate contribution as the Broncos' starter. That plan was shelved when Moreno outshined Ball and Ronnie Hillman in basic fundamentals such as ball security and pass protection during preseason action.

    The coaching staff witnessed steady improvement from Ball throughout his rookie season. From Week 13 through the Super Bowl, Ball totaled 393 rushing yards (5.4 yards per carry) to Moreno's 375 (3.9 YPC).

    While Moreno is more solid in the passing game, Ball has a much higher ceiling as a runner. Football czar John Elway touted the former Wisconsin star as a Terrell Davis clone last May.



    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...gn=Twitter_atl





  • #2
    i suspect the sky outside looks like it's some shade of blue




    ETA: just poking fun at the obviousness of the article...nothing against the op
    Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 02-13-2014, 06:39 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      In other news, Sylvester Williams expects to be eligible for Social Security next season.

      Comment


      • #4
        I also suspect the Broncos will draft a RB to help replace Moreno.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lestat View Post
          I also suspect the Broncos will draft a RB to help replace Moreno.
          there are so many functional guys they can sign on the cheap if they want another back.

          Comment


          • #6
            That plan was shelved when Moreno outshined Ball and Ronnie Hillman in basic fundamentals such as ball security and pass protection during preseason action.
            His eleven carries in four games must have really knocked their socks off!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DomCasual View Post
              His eleven carries in four games must have really knocked their socks off!
              He should have had a bigger role in the team. You could see the last half of the year he was the much better runner. I think Manning was just very comfortable with Moreno, which is understandable.

              Ball needs to protect the ball and the QB before he can get starting RB carries.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
                He should have had a bigger role in the team. You could see the last half of the year he was the much better runner. I think Manning was just very comfortable with Moreno, which is understandable.

                Ball needs to protect the ball and the QB before he can get starting RB carries.
                In fairness, I think they knew what they had in Moreno last preseason. They didn't play him much, because they didn't have to. They wanted to see what the other two guys (especially Ball) would do with the playing time.

                It's just funny to see a columnist make a statement that shows he really doesn't know what he's talking about. He's not referring to carries. But the fact that Moreno only had eleven carries is indicative of the fact that he barely played.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by extralife View Post
                  there are so many functional guys they can sign on the cheap if they want another back.
                  I am guessing they bring in a cheap Vet as well. They would have a stable of young RB's which is good for upside but bad when you need some experience.

                  I hope the KM experiment is over. He is fine in a back up role on the cheap but Ball has equaled or surpassed KM in every phase of the game.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DomCasual View Post
                    In fairness, I think they knew what they had in Moreno last preseason. They didn't play him much, because they didn't have to. They wanted to see what the other two guys (especially Ball) would do with the playing time.

                    It's just funny to see a columnist make a statement that shows he really doesn't know what he's talking about. He's not referring to carries. But the fact that Moreno only had eleven carries is indicative of the fact that he barely played.
                    I really think they wanted one of the young guys to win the job and keep KM on the bench. I think KM had the best year of his career because of Manning audibles, he didn't get hurt, and because he needed to play for his contract. After being sat for half the year the season before he had to have an impact or find a kiosk at the mall.

                    I am glad he produced but he has peaked and after that NE game seemed to get slower and produce less especially on the ground whereas Ball just took off.

                    Had Ball not fumbled a couple times early he would have taken a lot more snaps away from KM early.

                    I really would like to see something from CJ Anderson or I will jump off the bandwagon. I hope CJ is reading this and all motivated and stuff now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      He has showed me great explosiveness on a few plays. Time to get into the weight room.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by extralife View Post
                        there are so many functional guys they can sign on the cheap if they want another back.
                        Most of those vets will cost more than a draft pick on a cheap 3 year deal.
                        We know they like Ball and Anderson. What happens if one of them goes down?
                        Ball is not great in pass pro, nor is he a big threat at pass catching.

                        Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
                        He should have had a bigger role in the team. You could see the last half of the year he was the much better runner. I think Manning was just very comfortable with Moreno, which is understandable.

                        Ball needs to protect the ball and the QB before he can get starting RB carries.
                        Oh it wasn't the running that got him bench. He whiffed on quite a few blocks and got Manning rocked early on. He improved in pass pro but not to the level of a top starting RB.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          One FA RB I think Denver would be smart to get is Starks from the Packers. He is a very tough inside runner with a decent quickness; not the fastest guy but fast as Terrell Davis.

                          I don't think his football IQ is to great but maybe he can be taught. I think he would come cheap and immediatley displace Hillman.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We need someone who runs differently than Ball. Ball is a tough between the tackles runner. I think we need a complimentary piece. I like Bradshaw on a cheap deal. But some interesting cuts could happen..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BMORE View Post
                              We need someone who runs differently than Ball. Ball is a tough between the tackles runner. I think we need a complimentary piece. I like Bradshaw on a cheap deal. But some interesting cuts could happen..
                              I agree that Denver should look at a different style runner, but Bradshaw is damaged goods, was injury prone before the neck injury, and old. Pass.

                              I'm not digging the Starks idea either.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X