Broncos extend John Elway's contract; add GM to title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos extend John Elway's contract; add GM to title

"In contract and title, the Broncos have extended their relationship with John Elway.

The most famous employee in team history, Elway has received a three-year contract extension from the Broncos while also tacking on the title, "general manager" to his current position of executive vice president of football operations, according to an NFL source.

Until the new deal, Elway was entering the final year on the original contract he signed with the Broncos and owner Pat Bowlen in January, 2011.

Technically, the Broncos and president Joe Ellis ripped up the final year of Elway's old contract and gave him a four-year deal that runs through 2017. Plus this new title: executive vice president of football operations/general manager.

Make no mistake, Elway is in it for the long term.

"General manager" is a term commonly given to those with final-say authority on building the rosters of sports teams. Which is what Elway has done. And continues to do.

At the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters this week, there are sounds of jackhammers and bulldozers as a new fieldhouse is being built and the team's existing office building is undergoing major reconstruction.

More quietly in his upstairs office, Elway has been working 10 to 12 hours a day this week. His Broncos just reached the Super Bowl, only to get whipped 43-8 by the Seattle Seahawks on Feb. 2 in New Jersey.

Elway's new contract returns leadership continuity to the Broncos' franchise. The Broncos also retained defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio with a new two-year contract last week and they are expected to work out a new multiyear extension with Fox.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...t-add-gm-title
    Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 02-12-2014, 08:58 AM.

Sweeeet. Just hope he's got a long term plan for QB

Comment

Thank You, John Elway.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
        Sweeeet. Just hope he's got a long term plan for QB
        no, i assume he'll just ignore the position forever.

Comment

Also, thank you Ellis and Bowlen.

Well deserved. The turn around in talent top to almost bottom since he's been here has been nothing short of amazing. Really like the continuity continuing.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
            no, i assume he'll just ignore the position forever.
            I don't have faith in Brock.

Comment

Elway deserves it..Need to concentrate now on LB,Safety and Improve defensive line.
              More importantly..draft players that are leaders..not players like champ, manning, DT etc

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                I don't have faith in Brock.
                then if it doesnt work out, they'll move to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by go_broncos View Post
                  Elway deserves it..Need to concentrate now on LB,Safety and Improve defensive line.
                  More importantly..draft players that are leaders..not players like champ, manning, DT etc
                  Your post was spot on....if you shut your stupid trap after the first sentence. Does becoming internet retarded come naturally or do you have to really work on it?

Comment

VP/GM/GOAT

whatevs..

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                      Your post was spot on....if you shut your stupid trap after the first sentence. Does becoming internet retarded come naturally or do you have to really work on it?
                      Well...i say what i see it..
                      Mr..Champ disappears in Big games. He is not Ray Lewis..

Champ doesn't have leadership skills..he just plays the game..he doesn't elevate players around him. There is a reason why he never won SB.

Manning sucks in playoffs..he acts like a kid when there is an adversity.
                      I miss Al Wilson..He is a leader and i have no doubt that this team would have won SB if he is on this team.

Comment

Champ doesn't have leadership skills..he just plays the game..he doesn't elevate players around him. There is a reason why he never won SB.

I miss Al Wilson..He is a leader and i have no doubt that this team would have won SB if he is on this team.
                        Peyton Manning isn't a leader? Are you absolutely ****ed in the head?

Yes, he had a bad super bowl...after two fantastic playoff games before that. So he doesn't "suck" in the playoffs.

Comment

You can scream and be a leader all you want. Still won't win anything. Talent and skill does though.

I'd rather have skill than Rah-Rah ANY DAY

Comment

Mr..Champ disappears in Big games.
                            <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9G9139DXvNY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

How long have you been a Broncos fan (what season)? Champ was brought on this team because Manning was destroying us in the playoffs. He was surrounded by absolute ****. Were you a fan in 2005 when he stopped Brady from scoring and returned it to the 1 yard line? How many teams have we had that was SB bound because we have Champ Bailey on our team? He was our best player on defense when we had mostly an average squad on defense. Shanny changed out our Defensive Coordinator every year for 4 seasons. We were a mess. Champ didn't get Shanny fired, Shanny got fired for being a 8-8 type team. This season wasn't based on Champ's play since he was injured. When he played in those playoff wins, he performed.

Basically, stop being a MacGruder and a one trick pony. You expect a SB every single season. Like they grow on trees. We went from a 4-12 disaster season before getting 3 AFC West Championships. Pretty damn good turnaround. You think the last two seasons could have been done with a different QB and then make the SB? If so, let us know which QB you think brings us the #1 seed in the AFC and then delivers us the SB (or just get us a SB XXXII style).

Until then, shut your pie hole on an absolutely terrible take.
                              Last edited by broncocalijohn; 02-12-2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X