Is free agentcy ruining the NFL ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is free agentcy ruining the NFL ?

Had quite a conversation at the pub last night. Turns out that people ( at least at the bar I was at ) tend to think it will. They find themselves not falling in love with teams like they used to because most of the time there favorite college players are gone in a few years.

Is this true with you ?

I see what they are saying but I'm still a Broncos fan and as strong as I ever have been. It bewildered me that most of the people like players more then teams.

I will say I live in Portland and it is a big college town and does not have a NFL team. This may make a difference.
    Last edited by Quoydogs; 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM.

I'll take Fantasy Football for 100

Comment

Since i've grown up with it, I would say no. It definitely eliminates the dynasty's of the past as you can assemble talent and hold onto it forever. For other fan-bases i think it gives a sign of hope about quick turnarounds which is a good thing in the NFL with regards to fans.

Bottom line, the teams that have been good over sustained periods of time are still doing so and that comes from good ownership/front office… Denver, New England, Pittsburgh & Baltimore being the most apparent in the AFC. Green Bay, NYG, SF, being the most apparent from the NFC.

Comment

not sure.

But someone has ruined the word Agent or Agency... not sure which one though

Comment

lol @ agentcy

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
            It bewildered me
            May I suggest this as a sig?

Comment

If this was asked like 15 years ago, it would be more of a valid question. Free agency has been around for so long that we know the answer, which is no. Free agency, combined with a salary cap and revenue sharing, has put everybody on an equal playing field, so every team has a chance, which is even more embarrassing for a team like the Raiders. I mean, with the rules today, how can then be that bad for so long.

Football television ratings are huge, which is another sign that free agency isn't ruining the game.

I'd say that people probably don't follow players to the same degree that they did before the days of free agency. I wouldn't buy any current player's jersey. I'm a fan of the team first, and I don't get too caught up with the players. I'm a fan of who ever is currently on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
                lol @ agentcy
                Yep you got me , now back to football

Comment

People have a right to work where they want to work, and for whom. Free Agency simply grants athletes the same rights as the rest of us. It's good for the NFL. It's a great reflection on a franchise when players want to play there, and it forces lesser fortunate franchises to change their ways.

Comment

Not like it does other sports. NFL keeps competition relatively even across the boards. FOs mess up with bad drafts. In NBA or MLB it's tied to big market/money teams. No one wants to play in Toronto, or go to the Royals. And players can gtfo out of those cities.

That's why NFL in Europe will produce bad teams though. Not many FAs will want to move over there.

Comment

It ruined the NFL a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
                        It ruined the NFL a long time ago.
                        Who shouts "hey kids, get off my lawn" loudest on the Mane?

Comment

I think to some extent it hurts the NFL and to another extent it helps the NFL and the fans. It sucks when you buy an Elvis Dumerville jersey with your hard earned dollars and he doesn't understand how to send an email, so uses a Kinko fax instead. Its good when it gives you the ability to sign a guy like Welker so you can go buy his jersey and show off how cool you are for the next two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Stout View Post
                            I think to some extent it hurts the NFL and to another extent it helps the NFL and the fans. It sucks when you buy an Elvis Dumerville jersey with your hard earned dollars and he doesn't understand how to send an email, so uses a Kinko fax instead. Its good when it gives you the ability to sign a guy like Welker so you can go buy his jersey and show off how cool you are for the next two years.
                            I no longer care who's playing for our team as long as they aren't criminals. I root for the laundry because at any moment player X could be gone to another team. So as far as I am concerned they can rip the names off the jerseys.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
                              Who shouts "hey kids, get off my lawn" loudest on the Mane?
                              GET OFF MY LAAAAAAWWNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X