No announcement yet.

Should the Broncos draft Michael Sam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he was a Von Miller caliber talent. . .a guy that had game-changing abilities to make the Denver Broncos' defense substantially better, I'd be all for it. Could care less if he's gay or straight.

That being said, he's not. He's probably at best a 3rd round graded talent, a guy that might make a roster as a rotational pass-rusher. I really don't want the franchise to go through Tebow 2.0 with this kid, especially, if the reward isn't a star player on the field. I do think what he's doing takes serious balls and I wish him the best. Hope he makes roster, just not the roster of a team coming off one of the most embarrassing losses in SB history. Team is going to be under enough scrutiny going into the off-season.
    Last edited by razorwire77; 02-10-2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Maybe good value on the board if any sort of bigotry leads to a slide? As a player...obviously dominant in college but weirdly small for DE. Maybe the Doom comparison is relevant but Doom thrived because of his freakishly long arms.

I've read he likely lacks the speed for OLB but I wonder if he he has the skills to move inside to Mike?

Comment

Originally posted by razorwire77 View Post
        If he was a Von Miller caliber talent. . .a guy that had game-changing abilities to make the Denver Broncos' defense substantially better, I'd be all for it. Could care less if he's gay or straight.

That being said, he's not. He's probably at best a 3rd round graded talent, a guy that might make a roster as a rotational pass-rusher. I really don't want the franchise to go through Tebow 2.0 with this kid, especially, if the reward isn't a star player on the field. I do think what he's doing takes serious balls and I wish him the best. Hope he makes roster, just not the roster of a team coming off one of the most embarrassing losses in SB history. Team is going to be under enough scrutiny going into the off-season.
        You realize the 'circus' would be larger if he were a superstar gay athlete, right?

Comment

Don't understand why the guy comes out. Its certainly not going to help his value and will prob hurt him. You may not like it but thats the way things are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetmeck View Post
            Don't understand why the guy comes out. Its certainly not going to help his value and will prob hurt him. You may not like it but thats the way things are.
            I thought the exact opposite when I first heard the news. Unless he was a consensus high first round pick, it most certainly COULD help him.

Plenty of teams would love the PR associated with bringing in the first gay NFL player and I'm sure there are at least a few that don't want to deal with the negative backlash associated with not even considering drafting such a player if he was a consensus 2nd or 3rd round pick before the announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Shananahan View Post
              You realize the 'circus' would be larger if he were a superstar gay athlete, right?
              Of course, but that would be offset by the benefits of a superstar's on field performance.

I don't think Sam the NFL football prospect is good enough to offset the negatives of the media circus that will follow him. I don't think this team needs any more distractions than the myriad distractions and side stories that will come as a result of ****ting the bed in the SB.

If Denver believes benefit of him as a player outweighs the distractions, than go ahead and pull the trigger. I do hope the kid sticks on a roster.

Comment

Just think of all the possible 'Sam I Am' rhymes.

Do it!

Comment

Originally posted by razorwire77 View Post
                  Of course, but that would be offset by the benefits of a superstar's on field performance.

I don't think Sam the NFL football prospect is good enough to offset the negatives of the media circus that will follow him. I don't think this team needs any more distractions than the myriad distractions and side stories that will come as a result of ****ting the bed in the SB.

If Denver believes benefit of him as a player outweighs the distractions, than go ahead and pull the trigger. I do hope the kid sticks on a roster.
                  Have you considered the possibility that maybe he could be really good, really gay and not much of a 'distraction' whatsoever?

Comment

Bring that gay bastard in...I wanna see him manhandle guys...but no sucking, that would be a wasted pick!

Comment

He should be judged by the penetration he gets on the field, not off it.

Comment

Have you considered the possibility that maybe he could be really good, really gay and not much of a 'distraction' whatsoever?
                        He could certainly be a good or even great football player. I have my doubts, based on the one year wonder phenomenon and the level of competition where he put up the bulk of his numbers. I've been wrong before though. If he could help this franchise erase the embarrassment of last week, I could care less if he's really, fabulously, super duper, shiny gay.

He strikes me as being a pretty intelligent and decent individual. I don't think he would intend to be a distraction, but rather the media echo chamber would force the distraction onto the franchise much like what happened with the Tebow situation.
                        Last edited by razorwire77; 02-10-2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

While his agents deliberate over whether the cover of ESPN the magazine or Time is better for his 'career'

http://www.outsports.com/2014/2/9/53...ouri-nfl-draft

Comment

I don't get the Tebow comparisons at all.

You're talking about one of the greatest college football players ever at the premiere position. You're talking about somebody whose lifestyle, background, beliefs and choices were starkly unlike the vast majority of players at any position and any talent level, much less those at the very top of the pile. You're talking about a guy who was considered for the Heisman three straight times after winning the award as a true sophomore and a two-time National Championship winner. You're talking about a guy who, despite all of that success, created an atomic newsbomb simply by being drafted in the first round due to his enormous amount of critics and then went on to have an NFL career that took all of the previous polarization to unseen, ridiculously retarded new levels.

Then you're comparing him to a guy who by your own standards was a one-year wonder that many had never heard about prior to his senior season and who feasted against lesser competition. This is a guy who is such a media firestorm that his coming out to the entire team at the start of what would end up being a surprise top-ten season didn't register on anybody's radar until just now.

Seems pretty ridiculous, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                              While his agents deliberate over whether the cover of ESPN the magazine or Time is better for his 'career'

http://www.outsports.com/2014/2/9/53...ouri-nfl-draft
                              Yeah, stuff like this is not how I think these things should be done.

Perhaps it might be wise to put my most recent post on hold for awhile.

Comment

Then you're comparing him to a guy who by your own standards was a one-year wonder that many had never heard about prior to his senior season and who feasted against lesser competition. This is a guy who is such a media firestorm that his coming out to the entire team at the start of what would end up being a surprise top-ten season didn't register on anybody's radar until just now.
                                And who was heavily featured on every network morning show this morning.

The central question is very similar. Will his media presence outshine his talent? I think in Timmy's case, the answer was eventually found.

With Michael Sam, it's still an open question.

Comment

Working...
                                X