Broncos have decision to make about Welker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos have decision to make about Welker

Last year, the Broncos signed receiver Wes Welker to a two-year, $12 million deal. Cap accounting kept the 2013 charge at $4 million....more at

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-about-welker/

What do you guys think. Get rid of welker and keep Decker.. I like Decker more

Cutting him means a $2m dead money hit.

Comment

Decker will cost more over the long term. Keep Welker and draft a replacement. Decker is not a 8 Million a year player.

Comment

Welker is not going anywhere.

Comment

Welker is one concussion away from being done for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Finkle View Post
            Decker will cost more over the long term. Keep Welker and draft a replacement. Decker is not a 8 Million a year player.
            Ayep

Comment

Welker got 10 TDs this year. The most in his career. Eric Decker had 87 receptions, for 1,288 yards and 11 TDs. I want them both to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
                But he's only got one year under contract. Paying Deck big money is going to hamper our ability to keep D and JT.

I love Deck. But he just might not be in the cards. And if there's any chance he's on his way out, you can't afford to lose Welker as well.

So either both come back. Or only Welker comes back. Only way I see it going down.

Comment

Every player is one big injury away from being done for good.

It's not like Welker is on a huge long term contract.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                    But he's only got one year under contract. Paying Deck big money is going to hamper our ability to keep D and JT.

I love Deck. But he just might not be in the cards. And if there's any chance he's on his way out, you can't afford to lose Welker as well.

So either both come back. Or only Welker comes back. Only way I see it going down.
                    Right, but what happens in two years when we don't have Decker or Welker?

Comment

That's a good question. Another one is what happens in two years when you have to decide between Decker and DT? Or if Manning hangs 'em up.

Too many open questions and moving parts. I guess that's what keeps the league interesting.

But worst case, we'd be in the same position with Welker we're in with Decker now. And at that point I don't see Welker commanding anything like Decker's upcoming salary. Only a few QB's in the league can make the most of Wes' skillset. And one of their bridges already burned.

Comment

Osweiler will run after his second read. :-)

Comment

The good teams draft to prevent situations like that. It's not like it is an all or nothing scenario here.

Comment

Originally posted by OBF1 View Post
                            Welker is not going anywhere.
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
                              Cutting him means a $2m dead money hit.
                              and keeping him means an $8 mil hit. I'm actually torn on this one. If you had asked me this question back in October, the answer would be easy. Bring him back....no question. But after the concussions, he didn't look like the same guy at all. Here's the breakdown of his first 8 games vs his last 8 games (which included 5 regular season and 3 post season):

1st 8: 555 yds and 9 TDs
                              2nd 8: 383 yds and 2 TDs

If it comes down to a choice of Decker vs Welker, I think I'd lean towards Decker at this point. If Decker prices himself out, there could be an interesting decision for the team here. With the offseason now cut down so much with the new CBA, it might be hard to tell where exactly Welker is health/mentality wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X