If you weren't upset enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you weren't upset enough

This will really make you upset. This is a very nicely written article by Greg Cosell that breaks down the major problem of the game for Denver, our offensive line verse Seattle's pass rush.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...1436--nfl.html

I just read this myself and was going to post. As I've been saying, it was all about the pass rush and our inability to handle it. They gameplanned and executed almost perfectly, successfully disrupting Manning and our O.

...Before Super Bowl XLVIII, I thought one of the biggest potential mismatches was Seattle's nickel defensive line vs. the Broncos' offensive line.

I couldn't be certain the Seahawks could get quick pressure, because Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning gets rid of the ball so quickly. But they did, and it was perhaps the biggest factor in Seattle's dominating win.

Denver had some receivers open, especially early on before the game got out of hand. But the Seattle pass rush wouldn't let Manning get to them.

The Broncos had three potential big plays in their first two series, and didn't hit any of them...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
      I just read this myself and was going to post. As I've been saying, it was all about the pass rush and our inability to handle it. They gameplanned and executed almost perfectly, successfully disrupting Manning and our O.
      Seattle was successful because they had an otherworldly secondary and very good front 4.

There just weren't people open in 3 seconds on most plays so he couldn't dish it off.

Contrast that with a D like the one KC had (and I'd argue a far superior pass rush) all Payed-a-Ton needed was a yard of separation to complete a short pass to a big play target. The KC pass rush was useless because the secondary couldn't press/cover every target for 3 seconds.

And normally I'd say that's absolutely sorry but Denver has some damned good targets to throw to...

Comment

i love how this article tries to deflect blame for manning when in each example the picture clearly shows he had a wide open guy and he just didn't see him, that in route needs to be thrown on the break, he wasn't even looking.

Comment

It's always the lines.

Comment

Manning missed open guys, but bottom line is if you can get hits on the QB early in games, you can set the tone and make the QB feel he always has to get rid of the ball quickly, which can result in missing open receivers. I wish the Bronco defense could do such a thing more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Willynowei View Post
              i love how this article tries to deflect blame for manning when in each example the picture clearly shows he had a wide open guy and he just didn't see him, that in route needs to be thrown on the break, he wasn't even looking.
              On every example he was pressured. He had to move in the pocket, last time I checked PFM wasn't going to outrun the Seattle DLine. He also had to look for his closest open target.

Peyton would have torn Seattle up with a clean pocket. This shows that their were openings in the D. Because he was under duress the entire game, he was much quicker in his progressions.

Look we lost as a TEAM. If Peyton had clean pockets all game and couldn't find the open target then we can pin the game on him, and he might deserve the playoff stigma that he can't seem to escape.

Comment

Always been the knock on Manning - hit him early and he gets rattled.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                  Always been the knock on Manning - hit him early and he gets rattled.
                  That can be said for any pocket QB. I've heard the same thing said about Brady too.

Comment

Originally posted by BMORE View Post
                    That can be said for any pocket QB. I've heard the same thing said about Brady too.
                    Yep, the Broncos were able to get some hits on him early and he missed receivers. Who knows how the game changes if Brady doesn't overthrow a wide open Edelman on that crossing route in which he has a chance to score if completed.

Comment

Originally posted by BMORE View Post
                      True, but then the Pats will go max protect (covering same ground we've covered all this last week).

Comment

It's not like Peyton missed throwing to wide open receivers and had a clean pocket. All the turnovers and bad throws were a result of pressure. Our good stretch of great OLine play ran out. Clark was exposed as being a true back-up and Franklin had a really bad night.

As a result there was a trickle down effect on Peyton, to the RBs, to the WRs.

It's the ultimate team game!

I'm not sure if we should expect radical changes along the OLine and shuffling. But there are questions about Clady's recovery, Franklin's poor play when it mattered the most, is Manny the answer at Center, is Clark good enough to play on the right side?

Comment

3 guarantees in life:

Death, taxes, and Bmore Manning blaming everyone else except Peyton.

Comment

If Peyton played well they still would've lost. Why can't people understand the ENTIRE organization blew it?

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                              3 guarantees in life:

Death, taxes, and Bmore Manning blaming everyone else except Peyton.
                              And Price not understanding football concepts, and deleting his countless posts where he looks like a fool. Who do you like to take over as our QB today? Don't worry I'll ask you in a few days, it will change all offseason.

Comment

Working...
                              X