Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Denver have gone for it on 4th & 2 in the 1st Quarter?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should Denver have gone for it on 4th & 2 in the 1st Quarter?

    Should Denver have gone for it on 4th & 2 in the 1st Quarter?

    According to Gregg Easterbrook in his post-SB 48 TMQ article, Fox's decision to punt on 4th and 2 near mid-field was the "Sour Play of the Game". He also sees it as the pivotal moment in the game at the 8:45 mark in the 1st quarter.

    "Denver's record-setting offense opened the game with a goofy safety, but the Broncos' defense held Seattle to a field goal following the free kick. So it's Bluish Men Group by 5-0. No problem for the highest scoring team in NFL annals. Denver took possession, advanced to fourth-and-2 on its 43 -- and punted. What good is the highest-scoring offense in NFL history if the Broncos are afraid to try on fourth-and-short from midfield?

    "Highlight reels will show Seattle's touchdowns on interception and kickoff returns -- but to TMQ, this was the pivotal moment of the contest. Facing the league's best defense, Denver needed to set an aggressive tone. Instead the Broncos set a passive, retreating tone."


    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...s-back-defense

    Thanks, Fox! Thanks for going "Full Turtle" when you needed to dial it up!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
    Should Denver have gone for it on 4th & 2 in the 1st Quarter?

    According to Gregg Easterbrook in his post-SB 48 TMQ article, Fox's decision to punt on 4th and 2 near mid-field was the "Sour Play of the Game". He also sees it as the pivotal moment in the game at the 8:45 mark in the 1st quarter.

    "Denver's record-setting offense opened the game with a goofy safety, but the Broncos' defense held Seattle to a field goal following the free kick. So it's Bluish Men Group by 5-0. No problem for the highest scoring team in NFL annals. Denver took possession, advanced to fourth-and-2 on its 43 -- and punted. What good is the highest-scoring offense in NFL history if the Broncos are afraid to try on fourth-and-short from midfield?

    "Highlight reels will show Seattle's touchdowns on interception and kickoff returns -- but to TMQ, this was the pivotal moment of the contest. Facing the league's best defense, Denver needed to set an aggressive tone. Instead the Broncos set a passive, retreating tone."


    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...s-back-defense

    Thanks, Fox! Thanks for going "Full Turtle" when you needed to dial it up!
    No - there was still a lot of football left to play at that point.

    Comment


    • #3
      I didn't mind the call to go for it. It was the play that bothered me. Was almost on par with the 3rd and 10 draw up the middle in sheer stupidity.

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe but we still would have lost.

        Comment


        • #5
          We LOST on 90% of the plays in the game...so, sure you change one play and maybe you only lose on 89%...not too shabby.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, one thing's for sure: we lost any hope of recapturing momentum by electing to punt.

            It would have been a bold move, but it would have been a statement, too. "Either get 2 freaking yards, or we're gonna send the defense back out here with Seattle on *our* 43 yard line!"

            I think it was a blunder. Sadly, it was a predictable blunder.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HELLHAMMER View Post
              I didn't mind the call to go for it. It was the play that bothered me. Was almost on par with the 3rd and 10 draw up the middle in sheer stupidity.
              Are we talking about the same play? I'm complaining about Fox's decision to punt on 4th and 2 with 8:45 left in the 1st quarter.

              Here's the play by play for that series:

              Denver Broncos at 10:21

              4-S.Hauschka kicks 65 yards from SEA 35 to end zone, Touchback. PENALTY on SEA-83-R.Lockette, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at DEN 20.

              1-10-DEN 35

              (10:21) (Shotgun) 27-K.Moreno left tackle to DEN 38 for 3 yards (56-C.Avril, 91-C.Clemons).

              2-7-DEN 38

              (9:53) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short middle to 88-D.Thomas to DEN 40 for 2 yards (31-K.Chancellor).

              3-5-DEN 40

              (9:22) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short middle to 80-J.Thomas to DEN 43 for 3 yards (54-B.Wagner, 28-W.Thurmond).

              4-2-DEN 43

              (8:45) 4-B.Colquitt punts 29 yards to SEA 28, Center-46-A.Brewer, fair catch by 81-G.Tate.

              Comment


              • #8
                TMQ has always been a strong proponent for "going for it" on 4th down. Not just in really short situations, or in desperation mode late in the game - Easterbrook advocates for going for it on 4th down pretty much anywhere outside your own 40 yard line, and at any point in the game. He presents fairly convincing statistical analysis to back up his theory.

                He's been preaching this gospel to mostly deaf ears for 10 + years now. Bellicheat has said he is aware of Easterbrook's theory, and agrees the league may some day get there.

                But football coaches are a conservative (and mostly castrated) lot.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
                  Are we talking about the same play? I'm complaining about Fox's decision to punt on 4th and 2 with 8:45 left in the 1st quarter.

                  Here's the play by play for that series:

                  Denver Broncos at 10:21

                  4-S.Hauschka kicks 65 yards from SEA 35 to end zone, Touchback. PENALTY on SEA-83-R.Lockette, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at DEN 20.

                  1-10-DEN 35

                  (10:21) (Shotgun) 27-K.Moreno left tackle to DEN 38 for 3 yards (56-C.Avril, 91-C.Clemons).

                  2-7-DEN 38

                  (9:53) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short middle to 88-D.Thomas to DEN 40 for 2 yards (31-K.Chancellor).

                  3-5-DEN 40

                  (9:22) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short middle to 80-J.Thomas to DEN 43 for 3 yards (54-B.Wagner, 28-W.Thurmond).

                  4-2-DEN 43

                  (8:45) 4-B.Colquitt punts 29 yards to SEA 28, Center-46-A.Brewer, fair catch by 81-G.Tate.
                  think we're talking about different plays. My fault I just read the headline.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BroncsRule View Post
                    TMQ has always been a strong proponent for "going for it" on 4th down. Not just in really short situations, or in desperation mode late in the game - Easterbrook advocates for going for it on 4th down pretty much anywhere outside your own 40 yard line, and at any point in the game. He presents fairly convincing statistical analysis to back up his theory.

                    He's been preaching this gospel to mostly deaf ears for 10 + years now. Bellicheat has said he is aware of Easterbrook's theory, and agrees the league may some day get there.

                    But football coaches are a conservative (and mostly castrated) lot.
                    I agree.

                    But if football coaches as a species are conservative, then we need a new word to describe Fox's conservatism, because Fox & Company give new meaning to the word "conservative".

                    The only word that comes to mind is "Luddite". Denver's head coach has just earned a new middle name from me: John "The Luddite" Fox.

                    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/luddite

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
                      Well, one thing's for sure: we lost any hope of recapturing momentum by electing to punt.

                      It would have been a bold move, but it would have been a statement, too. "Either get 2 freaking yards, or we're gonna send the defense back out here with Seattle on *our* 43 yard line!"

                      I think it was a blunder. Sadly, it was a predictable blunder.
                      You keep saying "we". I think you mean them as in "the other team that I was not rooting for".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey Armchair, go kill yourself.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          At the time I didn't like it, though mostly because Colquitt used that moment to get to the front of the "I'm going to **** this one up guys" queue (which, like my Johnson, was long and distinguished).

                          29 yard punt, fair caught at the 28! WTF? You can go for it, or you can execute a solid special teams play and pin them behind the 10. You can't punt for a net of less than 30 yards.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The entire opening was one long f*** up. It was almost like the entire squad looked around and went "holy s***, we're in the Super Bowl!!!"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yes.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X