Drafting a QBOTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
    I love everything about manning as a QB.. However if I was to name something I just don't see in his game.. is that clutch that john Elway had.
    John had some bad super bowls too, let's not confuse it. He threw for 123 yds against the Packers. He was a passenger when we won that super bowl.

The thing you don't see in his game is an impact defense and a running game that he could lean on. Think about how deadly Manning would be if we actually cared about running the ball. The defense would be in deep ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Shananahan View Post
      I agree with this to an extent. It sucks because the pre-snap stuff is what makes Manning so deadly, and more often than not he's correct in exactly what he needs to do, but in a lot of ways I also feel like, when we get to the playoffs and the teams are tougher and the flags aren't there, it just becomes too... cute and ineffective. I wanted to see Denver just come out and go at Seattle. It's not like we don't have talent at the wideout spot, top athletes who can compete against almost anybody. It's not like we don't have a smart, talented OC. Just stop scheming and scheming for your yards and simply take them from the defense.
      Doubtful the 6 man protection (OL+RB) would've allowed it, but I really wanted to see them attack down the field.

Seattle was sitting all over that horizontal chit.

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
        John had some bad super bowls too, let's not confuse it. He threw for 123 yds against the Packers. He was a passenger when we won that super bowl.

The thing you don't see in his game is an impact defense and a running game that he could lean on. Think about how deadly Manning would be if we actually cared about running the ball. The defense would be in deep ****.
        He made some great throws in key moments, ran one in, and the helicopter play energized the whole team.

He was hardly a "passenger" in that game

Comment

Wasting a high to mid round pick on a QB is plain crazy. Bottom line is that Peyton Manning is our QB until the day he taps out END OF EFFing story. If for some reason that ends up being 2 or 3 more years I would rather have either Oz or Dysert who have been here and at that point not being totally raw to the NFL or our system.

Draft players that can help now. We missed way too many player that could have helped out our team this year, instead we already picked our QBOTF in Oz 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Broncos Met With Clemson QB Tajh Boyd at Senior Bowl <a href="http://t.co/W0BBUi1z1b">http://t.co/W0BBUi1z1b</a></p>&mdash; Kim Constantinesco (@PredomOrange) <a href="https://twitter.com/PredomOrange/statuses/430792544612810753">February 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
            <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
            Thanks, hadn't seen that before. I might be on to something here

Originally posted by rmsanger View Post
            pass on drafting QB... If we want to blow a pick I'd rather have a big possession WR to complement DT (e.g. Bmarsh replica without the headcase).

I think we have bigger needs to address at MLB, S, RT, CB2, and DE over QB.
            You have to draft for your current needs and there are players who can come in on day one and make an impact, but you also have to keep in mind what is going to be your need 3-5 years away too because it usually takes 2-3 years to get players up to NFL speed/strength and for them to learn the system.

I'm not advocating spending all of our picks on QB, just #31. If we sign Jairus Byrd and Rahim Moore comes back healthy next year, we don't really have a hole to draft a S at #31 and could take a lower pick for that and develop the player. The FO might want to sign a MLB for a short-term run rather than try to lean on a rookie at the position.

Comment

"I don't want them to use all their picks on a quarterback, I just think they should use their best pick on a quarterback."

Comment

No way. We need to push all in for 2014 and chase that trophy at all costs. The future be damned - the future is now.

Comment

I actually really like what Dysert had shown in his limited time in preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if he beats out Oz at some point next year.

I just looks more poised and comfortable in the pocket.

Comment

At this point I really hope the front office drafts either a TE or Wide Receiver in the first to watch the Omane meltdown.

Comment

Originally posted by elsid13 View Post
                      At this point I really hope the front office drafts either a TE or Wide Receiver in the first to watch the Omane meltdown.
                      Trade our 1 and 2 to move up to take a QB.... not too shabby!

Comment

Originally posted by Taco John View Post
                        No way. We need to push all in for 2014 and chase that trophy at all costs. The future be damned - the future is now.
                        Lol dude. The future just ripped off our heads and took a huge shiat down our necks. There is no way this team is going to beat a physically dominant team without wholesale changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                          Lol dude. The future just ripped off our heads and took a huge shiat down our necks. There is no way this team is going to beat a physically dominant team without wholesale changes.
                          I'm sorry but that's what they said about San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by elsid13 View Post
                            Now you're talking!

"Star Wars offense!"

http://videosift.com/video/Bill-Murr...nters-from-SNL

Comment

If a players draft stock falls there is usually a reason for that.

Kyle Orton was once considered a potential top ten pick towards the end of his junior year in college.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                                First - Manning is playing for us in 2014 (and also 2015). We're not cutting him and he's not retiring before then.

Second - I'm not sold on Oz.

There are a bunch of good college QBs coming out this year (also quite a few teams that could take a QB high), so a good one could slip to us at the end of the first round. It might also be possible to trade down a little, get an extra pick and still grab a decent 2 year project QB.

The name I have in mind is Tajh Boyd. Early in the season he was seen as a possible top pick, but his inconsistency really hit his draft stock (especially his Senior Bowl week). Sit him 2 years, focus him on his footwork and have him ready for 2016.

I know this is looking far ahead. And I don't follow college ball all that much, so I couldn't tell you beyond Jameis Winston (not that we'd have a shot at him) any other QB who could be available 2015+.

Thoughts?
                                So we use a draft pick to replace one project, for another project. Pass. Boyd sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X