Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drafting a QBOTF

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post
    Right out of the gate his competition was Matt Flynn, so he had more opportunity to show he had something over competing against say, Peyton Manning.

    And IMO Os has showed something. He has a great arm, and improved from year one to two, at least the little bit I saw in camp. He's not going to truly have a chance to prove himself until he's playing in game situations, and I don't count garbage time clean-up a true "game situation".

    Os may fall flat on his face, he might be very, very good. Really, at this point, it's all speculation.
    Matt Flynn has nothing to do with it. Wilson entered camp as the backup, and got backup snaps, until he showed he had special ability. Yes, he wound up starting because he is a better QB than Matt Flynn, but that is not my point. If Manning was in Seattle, of course Wilson would be sitting, but at least they and everyone else would know that Wilson had something, and would possibly be a starter somewhere else sooner rather than later. He showed how dynamic he was right from the start.

    Oz may turn out to be the guy, not saying it's impossible, just that I wish he generated a little more buzz about his abilites.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
      Well, he obviously wouldn't have started over Manning, but that's not the point. Wilson showed right out of the gate he had something. That's what I want Oz to show. You either have it or you don't. Sitting behind a QB doesn't make you more talented, even if it is Peyton Manning.
      I've trotted out this example many times before, but through 2 seasons sitting, many many people didn't think Aaron Rodgers had what it took. Many doubted him even as he took the reins in his 4th.

      And I don't use that example so much to be selective. It's just hard to find good examples of touted draft picks sitting for years behind HOF'ers nearing the end.

      I think the NFL's strategy on backup QB's has changed somewhat. In the old days teams seemed to like long-time vets backing up elite QB's. Elway had Kubes, then Brister. Marino had Bernie Kosar behind him for quite a few years towards the end. Frank Reich was like Kubes in Buffalo under Kelly. A career backup.

      Now it's a lot more about developing new talent all the time. So there aren't a ton of examples of kids sitting for years behind established future HOF'ers.

      It'll be interesting to watch how the new strategy pans out.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
        We're getting Von, Wolfe, Vickerson, Harris, and Moore back. We also have to see how Smith and McCray develop.

        I'd love to add Byrd at S.

        Beyond that we're in need of a MLB, and a starter can be found in round 2-3
        DE Quanterus Smith will very nice to get back from IR, I can see him developing into the bookend the Broncos need to pair up with Von Miller.

        It was smart on the Broncos end to give him a year to fully heal from his knee injury, if you remember he was starting to practice with the team in training camp, and his knee was holding up, just wasn't there yet.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
          Rodgers is the subject of many myths.

          He was a top 10 prospect who slid because no one drafted a QB after Smith went #1 overall. Packers were smart enough to draft Rodgers once Favre began jerking them around every year with retirement talk, but it wasn't a crapshoot by any means. He was projected as a legit starter, who only sat because Favre stuck around a few more years, or else he would have been starting much sooner.

          Oz was drafted pretty high on the assumption he would have been a potential first rounder had he stayed in school an extra year. I never cared for the pick, but he's here, so I keep rooting for him to be something special, although I haven't seen anything in his limited snaps that excites me.
          We drafted Os because of potential and the fact that Manning's future after next surgery was up in the air, so we hedged our bets. There's a growth process for young qbs. We'll never truly know what he is as a player until he actually starts.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
            Matt Flynn has nothing to do with it. Wilson entered camp as the backup, and got backup snaps, until he showed he had special ability. Yes, he wound up starting because he is a better QB than Matt Flynn, but that is not my point. If Manning was in Seattle, of course Wilson would be sitting, but at least they and everyone else would know that Wilson had something, and would possibly be a starter somewhere else sooner rather than later. He showed how dynamic he was right from the start.

            Oz may turn out to be the guy, not saying it's impossible, just that I wish he generated a little more buzz about his abilites.
            I'm pretty sure we've been over this a few times, and that Carroll declared it an open competition right from the start. Unusual, but it worked.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by bpc View Post
              We drafted Os because of potential and the fact that Manning's future after next surgery was up in the air, so we hedged our bets. There's a growth process for young qbs. We'll never truly know what he is as a player until he actually starts.
              agreed. We have seen him in don't make bad decision mode. He looked good with the 1's in preseason and not so good with the backup's

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
                I believe now that all is said and done...we know EXACTLY WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE....we have the best qb agree to disagree Elway has had some of the right pieces but not all so this off season he completes the puzzle. Hes 1 to 3 key players away
                I love everything about manning as a QB.. However if I was to name something I just don't see in his game.. is that clutch that john Elway had.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
                  I love everything about manning as a QB.. However if I was to name something I just don't see in his game.. is that clutch that john Elway had.
                  I think the difference in athleticism is part of that. Manning's biggest effups come when he tries to improvise under pressure. Times when Elway would've picked up a few yards on the ground, or at least skipped to the sideline for a chance at one of those patented improvised comeback routes.

                  Elway had some different tools at his disposal when things broke down.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                    I think the difference in athleticism is part of that. Manning's biggest effups come when he tries to improvise under pressure. Times when Elway would've picked up a few yards on the ground, or at least skipped to the sideline for a chance at one of those patented improvised comeback routes.

                    Elway had some different tools at his disposal when things broke down.
                    Sometimes I wish we'd just line up and run our play. One of my favorite things about the 97/98 teams was that we could probably tell the D what we were going to run (toss left to TD...) and they couldn't do a damn thing about it.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by bpc View Post
                      We drafted Os because of potential and the fact that Manning's future after next surgery was up in the air, so we hedged our bets. There's a growth process for young qbs. We'll never truly know what he is as a player until he actually starts.
                      One tangilble issue with Oz is he is on a 4 year contract and say Manning plays one more year. Oz could be a one year starting QB then a FA

                      Be interesting to see what happens.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by go_broncos View Post
                        We are in Win now mode.can't draft a QB..
                        probably the best post you have ever given the Mane. Kudos.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Broncos Met With Clemson QB Tajh Boyd at Senior Bowl <a href="http://t.co/W0BBUi1z1b">http://t.co/W0BBUi1z1b</a></p>&mdash; Kim Constantinesco (@PredomOrange) <a href="https://twitter.com/PredomOrange/statuses/430792544612810753">February 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
                          <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                            Sometimes I wish we'd just line up and run our play. One of my favorite things about the 97/98 teams was that we could probably tell the D what we were going to run (toss left to TD...) and they couldn't do a damn thing about it.
                            I agree with this to an extent. It sucks because the pre-snap stuff is what makes Manning so deadly, and more often than not he's correct in exactly what he needs to do, but in a lot of ways I also feel like, when we get to the playoffs and the teams are tougher and the flags aren't there, it just becomes too... cute and ineffective. I wanted to see Denver just come out and go at Seattle. It's not like we don't have talent at the wideout spot, top athletes who can compete against almost anybody. It's not like we don't have a smart, talented OC. Just stop scheming and scheming for your yards and simply take them from the defense.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                              Sometimes I wish we'd just line up and run our play. One of my favorite things about the 97/98 teams was that we could probably tell the D what we were going to run (toss left to TD...) and they couldn't do a damn thing about it.
                              Those were great times. But that's not how you utilize Manning's strength, unfortunately. He's a matchup guy.

                              Against ordinary teams, he knows who's most likely going to be open before the play even starts. Which is why he can ordinarily get rid of the ball so quickly.

                              Against great defenses though, he can't bank on that like normal. Great corners (or at least depth at corner) make him wait longer than he's used to. Combine that with a great DL, giving him less time than normal and you have a recipe for what we saw on Sunday.

                              Manning can beat even great coverage with more time. But great coverage and less time? Trouble for anyone. Especially him because of his obvious physical limitations in extending a play.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                pass on drafting QB... If we want to blow a pick I'd rather have a big possession WR to complement DT (e.g. Bmarsh replica without the headcase).

                                I think we have bigger needs to address at MLB, S, RT, CB2, and DE over QB.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X