Drafting a QBOTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
    First - Manning is playing for us in 2014 (and also 2015). We're not cutting him and he's not retiring before then.

Second - I'm not sold on Oz.

There are a bunch of good college QBs coming out this year (also quite a few teams that could take a QB high), so a good one could slip to us at the end of the first round. It might also be possible to trade down a little, get an extra pick and still grab a decent 2 year project QB.

The name I have in mind is Tajh Boyd. Early in the season he was seen as a possible top pick, but his inconsistency really hit his draft stock (especially his Senior Bowl week). Sit him 2 years, focus him on his footwork and have teh last thim ready for 2016.

I know this is looking far ahead. And I don't follow college ball all that much, so I couldn't tell you beyond Jameis Winston (not that we'd have a shot at him) any other QB who could be available 2015+.

Thoughts?
    If we had drafted Russell Wilson instead of Oz and he's sitting behind Manning the last two years just like OZ is doing how do you know how good Wilson is?

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
      How can people not feel great about Oz? They haven't seen him really. When he's performed in preseason he's done an OK job. He's learning on the job right now. He has the arm and size you want from the position. He's a young guy. I remember hearing the same stuff about Rodgers. I think Denver was extremely smart bringing in a young QB that they liked who could learn the offense and work with Manning. Hopefully we get to reap those benefits in a few years. Same with Dysert.
      Rodgers is the subject of many myths.

He was a top 10 prospect who slid because no one drafted a QB after Smith went #1 overall. Packers were smart enough to draft Rodgers once Favre began jerking them around every year with retirement talk, but it wasn't a crapshoot by any means. He was projected as a legit starter, who only sat because Favre stuck around a few more years, or else he would have been starting much sooner.

Oz was drafted pretty high on the assumption he would have been a potential first rounder had he stayed in school an extra year. I never cared for the pick, but he's here, so I keep rooting for him to be something special, although I haven't seen anything in his limited snaps that excites me.

Comment

Denver can't afford to draft a QB early this year. They need help on all three levels of defense, especially at DB and LB with our injuries, free agents and lack of long-term options as starters.

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post
          If we had drafted Russell Wilson instead of Oz and he's sitting behind Manning the last two years just like OZ is doing how do you know how good Wilson is?
          Wilson wasn't drafted to start, but he flashed so much in preseason that they had to start him. That's what I'd like to see from Oz, flashes that get everyone excited about his potential.

Comment

Just as they say, the best time to look for a job is when you already have one. I think it applies here. What we DON'T want is to draft because we need a QB. I have no problem with the team taking a mid-draft flyer on a QB with talent.

People assume if we draft a QB it means we will ignore other positions. We could go back and forth on this forever, but looking at past drafts...you can point out players from every position that people passed over in many different rounds.

Sherman and Wilson being good examples.

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post
              This is true. At least Oz will have 4 years total to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
                Wilson wasn't drafted to start, but he flashed so much in preseason that they had to start him. That's what I'd like to see from Oz, flashes that get everyone excited about his potential.
                "Flashes" as you say all come in perspective though.

Wilson's flash would've been mostly ignored with PFM on the roster.

Matt Flynn provided a much better background for it.

Comment

I don't even think the Seasquawks knew what they were getting in Wilson.

This was the same front office that traded for Charlie Whitehurst and signed Matt Flynn for big money off one game.

I knew Wilson was a good player from watching him college, but his NFL career has exceeded all expectations. He also understands to not make the major mistakes.

Comment

We draft at 31 . The likely pick for our #1 is safety as there are only a few
                    safeties that rate well, and they are likely to last until around the late 1st , early 2nd.

BPA is great, but the team has needs, and safety is ONE of two clear defensive
                    weaknesses. MLB is the other. It would be great to get Dansby ( WE REALLY should have signed him last year, but after this season he is going to get paid, and get paid a LOT).

The change this year is that the draft won't happen until MAY, and FA opens on March 11. Two months for things to fall out and clarify. I think the rush
                    to sign guys in FA is not going to happen until late April, as teams wait to let the market set the price. The Agents will try to get the price up, and the clubs are going to keep the market down. Those that sign early will be the big names...and after that not much will happen, as teams bring in guys but don't make offers right away.

It going to be interesting.

As far as drafting a QB, both Osweiler and Dysert are adequate. Dysert is actually the player I would bet will be the starter after Manning. And unless
                    Manning retires ( and negates his contract himself) he will start at LEAST next year.
                    Last edited by ScottXray; 02-04-2014, 08:25 AM.

Comment

We're getting Von, Wolfe, Vickerson, Harris, and Moore back. We also have to see how Smith and McCray develop.

I'd love to add Byrd at S.

Beyond that we're in need of a MLB, and a starter can be found in round 2-3

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                        "Flashes" as you say all come in perspective though.

Wilson's flash would've been mostly ignored with PFM on the roster.

Matt Flynn provided a much better background for it.
                        Well, he obviously wouldn't have started over Manning, but that's not the point. Wilson showed right out of the gate he had something. That's what I want Oz to show. You either have it or you don't. Sitting behind a QB doesn't make you more talented, even if it is Peyton Manning.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
                          yes and no Wilson didn't win that game he had the meat that we need on the o line, mistakes oh yeah he makes a lot of em . super bowls wins equal the meat...which is the protection of the quarterback
                          Wilson can move which someone forgot to tell Robert Ayers.

His mobility is a big help to their offensive line. He's definitely a different player when kept in the pocket possibly because of his height. They also don't seem to run a super complicated offense.

He is what he is though. A game manager with a good defense who can make a play.

Comment

Some have made the case that we wasted the pick for Brock. If manning does play two more seasons then I would say that they were right and I was wrong. just go with the top talent at a position of need. were almost desperate now with guys such as Moreno, Decker, Beadles, etc. set to test FA

Comment

Originally posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
                              Well, he obviously wouldn't have started over Manning, but that's not the point. Wilson showed right out of the gate he had something. That's what I want Oz to show. You either have it or you don't. Sitting behind a QB doesn't make you more talented, even if it is Peyton Manning.
                              Right out of the gate his competition was Matt Flynn, so he had more opportunity to show he had something over competing against say, Peyton Manning.

And IMO Os has showed something. He has a great arm, and improved from year one to two, at least the little bit I saw in camp. He's not going to truly have a chance to prove himself until he's playing in game situations, and I don't count garbage time clean-up a true "game situation".

Os may fall flat on his face, he might be very, very good. Really, at this point, it's all speculation.

Comment

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/MaaQAJE2m69/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/sbnation/status/430540315108192256
                                Last edited by bronco militia; 02-04-2014, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X