Drafting a QBOTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting a QBOTF

First - Manning is playing for us in 2014 (and also 2015). We're not cutting him and he's not retiring before then.

Second - I'm not sold on Oz.

There are a bunch of good college QBs coming out this year (also quite a few teams that could take a QB high), so a good one could slip to us at the end of the first round. It might also be possible to trade down a little, get an extra pick and still grab a decent 2 year project QB.

The name I have in mind is Tajh Boyd. Early in the season he was seen as a possible top pick, but his inconsistency really hit his draft stock (especially his Senior Bowl week). Sit him 2 years, focus him on his footwork and have him ready for 2016.

I know this is looking far ahead. And I don't follow college ball all that much, so I couldn't tell you beyond Jameis Winston (not that we'd have a shot at him) any other QB who could be available 2015+.

Thoughts?

Cant waste the pick. There is no plan B, and we already burned a pick that could have helped us win on sunday on Brosweiler. Only thing to do is sit tight, and hope Manning delivers some hardware before hanging it up.

Comment

I heard on one of the channels over the weekend that the team is still high on Oz, so much so that they may not even draft a QB this year. They believe he's the guy to take over when the day comes.

Comment

Always draft a QB if there's one there.

Comment

I think this is a problem 2/3 years from now. I think we have to give Oz a chance and build this team so he can succeed. There is no reason to draft a qb right now, we have serious holes and character issues on this team that need fixing- not a good environment for a new qb to come into.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
            First - Manning is playing for us in 2014 (and also 2015). We're not cutting him and he's not retiring before then.

There are a bunch of good college QBs coming out this year (also quite a few teams that could take a QB high), so a good one could slip to us at the end of the first round. It might also be possible to trade down a little, get an extra pick and still grab a decent 2 year project QB.

The name I have in mind is Tajh Boyd. Early in the season he was seen as a possible top pick, but his inconsistency really hit his draft stock (especially his Senior Bowl week). Sit him 2 years, focus him on his footwork and have him ready for 2016.

I know this is looking far ahead. And I don't follow college ball all that much, so I couldn't tell you beyond Jameis Winston (not that we'd have a shot at him) any other QB who could be available 2015+.

Thoughts?
            We are in Win now mode.can't draft a QB..

Comment

I get the Oz pick in retrospect. Keep in mind no one actually knew if Manning's neck would be viable when we signed him. The problem is the timing. His rookie contract will be over before we even get a chance to kick the tires on him. Do we sign him to a second deal? That doesn't sound ideal but we may have to if Manning plays two more years. Weird conundrum.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post

Thoughts?
                Don't forget the Broncos also have on the Roster QB Zac Dysert, in the pre-season when he did get a chance to play, he looked pretty good.

Going back to back when he was drafted, he was compared to Ben Roethlisberger.

I don't think QB is necessarily a need.

Comment

Originally posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
                  I heard on one of the channels over the weekend that the team is still high on Oz, so much so that they may not even draft a QB this year. They believe he's the guy to take over when the day comes.
                  They said everywhere that Tebow was going to be the starter going into 2012 and promptly went out and got Manning, traded Tebow and drafted another QB. I don't put too much stock in what the FO says.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtown View Post
                    That's my thought as well. Because of the high # of good QBs coming out this year coupled with Boyd's inconsistencies, we might have a shot at getting a guy who has #1 overall talent at the end of the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBen View Post
                      Don't forget the Broncos also have on the Roster QB Zac Dysert, in the pre-season when he did get a chance to play, he looked pretty good.

Going back to back when he was drafted, he was compared to Ben Roethlisberger.

I don't think QB is necessarily a need.
                      Dysert was up and down (expected though, he's fairly raw), I can't see him as a starter.

Comment

Originally posted by OldschoolFreak View Post
                        I get the Oz pick in retrospect. Keep in mind no one actually knew if Manning's neck would be viable when we signed him. The problem is the timing. His rookie contract will be over before we even get a chance to kick the tires on him. Do we sign him to a second deal? That doesn't sound ideal but we may have to if Manning plays two more years. Weird conundrum.
                        Yeah I agree with all that, but it was a bit odd that we didn't bring in a vet/min to backup.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtown View Post
                          Can't remember who, but it was a respected/good GM I read something on that said you should draft a QB every single year whether you need one or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
                            Can't remember who, but it was a respected/good GM I read something on that said you should draft a QB every single year whether you need one or not.
                            Typically, I agree with that strategy. If you get a decent QB in the late rounds, you can always develop him, and trade him for better draft picks down the road to a desperate team.

On a year like this though, where we have a ton a free agents, I don't know that you go that route. But I can understand the thinking behind it.

Comment

Osweiler may or MAY NOT fail. He's in the unenviable Brian Griese position. He has to take over for a future HOF QB. I say good luck, to the kid. He certainly has the SIZE to be a NFL QB. We'll see if his talent is up to snuff...

Comment

Working...
                              X