Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Broncos planning to let freedom ring for 16 players Read more: Denver Broncos planning to le

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos planning to let freedom ring for 16 players Read more: Denver Broncos planning to le

John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, said the team's prospective free agents most likely would be allowed to test the NFL market when the 2014 league season opens March 11.

Pre-emptive deals with star players such as wide receiver Decker, cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and running back Knowshon Moreno are unlikely. This way, the player and the club will have a better understanding of the player's market value.

"Then we'll see if we're in the ballpark," Elway said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ing-16-players

John Elway doesn't want to overpay.

Too bad DRC isn't restricted.

Comment

Ummm, that is not such a great idea. DRC should be a priority. Why wait until they get an offer you cant match? Teams always overpay for guys who were just in a SB. Though most of that list is pretty scrubbish. Decker maybe be he will probably want too much.

Comment

"I'd like to stay here," Rodgers-Cromartie said. "It's been a good year. As a team, I know we came up short, but I definitely like what's going on here and where this team is."

^^ That's good too hear too.

Comment

I was talking to my buddy about this last night. I think the front office knows who they would like to keep and has a relative idea of what their market value is. You sit those players down and explain what we are trying to do here as an organization, let them know what you think they can get on the free market. Then you tell them what our offer is and let them go use it to bargain or take it.

Part of having a long running team and a winning tradition is having a front office, team, and system in place that players are willing to maybe take a small paycut to come win and be a part of. Thats what we need to continue to develop moving forward.

Comment

We should include John Fox since he is the real problem for the Denver turnover machine.

Comment

DRC is a must sign. You want defense sign one of the best defensive players we have. Use Champ's money

Comment

I don't think they need to sign any of those guys. Cornerback will be a tough position, but DRC isn't someone you want to just give tons of money to without careful consideration.

Comment

I think the team is being reasonable. See where the market is then try to pay accordingly. I would like to resign several of the most important ones ( DRC, Moreno, Harris) but only for 2-3 year deals. Welkers deal was excellent
                  as it was 2 years only. Worked out too, and didn't kill the cap. Decker can find his payday elsewhere.

One mistake the team has made is giving Monster contracts to our
                  supposed "star " players. In almost every case it has been a mistake, or at least a jinx.

Dumervil...monster contract then immediately tears Pec. Had a good year after that but whined his way out of town when team realized he was overpaid.

Clady...monster contract then blows ACL first year. Unknown if he will be able to play at the same level when he comes back. This is somewhat of a fluke

Bailey....monster contract , generally earned first 2 years, but not this year, and definitely will not be worth it next year.

There are a few other instances of paying a decent amount for a guy who then got hurt and couldn't continue. ( Kuper, Walton)

While you do have to pay to retain talent, LONG term contracts generally have not worked out, as injuries lower a players performance and it seems that we are snake bit with the injury bug. I know that is probably not true in every case, as younger guys should last longer, but it seems that giving guys five year deals is a sure fire way to have them end up on IR. Free Agents try to get the best deal they can, obviously, but overpaying is a mistake teams generally aren't making.

Denver shouldn't either.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Rob View Post
                    John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, said the team's prospective free agents most likely would be allowed to test the NFL market when the 2014 league season opens March 11.....

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ing-16-players

I like this approach, the Broncos really don't have a 'must need'.. not with all the players that should be coming back.

Yes, DRC is the one player on the list who should be the main target to re-sign .. but don't break the bank.

I am interested to see if Manning is going to re-structure his contract which would go along ways to sign a few other free agents.

And what is Champ going to do... ? Take a cut in pay.. ask to be traded ? ask to be cut ?

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post
                      DRC is a must sign. You want defense sign one of the best defensive players we have. Use Champ's money
                      Yep since he's taking his snaps!

Comment

I'm ok with this. There's only a couple I see are worth bringing back. Harris and DRC. Decker and Moreno would be nice but teams will overpay for them, and the broncos have bigger priorities to show the money to in the near future.

Comment

I hope they fix the fax machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
                            I hope they fix the fax machine.

Comment

Honestly DRC is the only player I'd be upset about losing. Chris Harris since he is restricted

Comment

Working...
                              X