Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harden The "F" Up, you don't live on chefsplanet!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
    But Manning was never a long-term solution. He'll play for Denver 1 more year, and then that will be that. Denver has one more chance to win a SB before Peyton retires. After that, it's back to rebuilding mode.
    He did not sign a 3-year contract.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
      As if theoretical future caps mean something?
      For 2014? Are you serious?

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
        You aren't old enough to remember the 80s.

        This was NOTHING, buddy. You have no concept of when we lost 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, including a 55-10 blowout against San Fran.
        I watched them all. As a kid admittedly, but I watched them. I pretty clearly remember the 55-10 loss. I maintain that this was worse, mainly because that was a game we had no chance in. This game we simply did not show up.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by fontaine View Post
          DT and Julius Thomas have already capped out their FA value because of the numbers they've put up this year so getting more production out of them cheap for 2014 and then resigning them is the way to go.
          You always get better value extending players that are still under contract rather than letting them hit the open market. Don't be dumb.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by fontaine View Post
            Not good business according to who? You?

            The salary cap is designed to create parity.

            The way you beat that restriction is by buying low - Knighton, Phillips, Trevathan, Clark, Franklin, Ball, DRC etc.
            Yes, vastly improve the team by bringing in really cheap players on short contracts. Brilliant! Why doesn't everyone think of that?

            Not saying you can't get lucky once in awhile. But the whole "We'll improve the team with near-league-minimum vets" strategy leaves a lot to be desired.

            DT and Julius Thomas have already capped out their FA value because of the numbers they've put up this year so getting more production out of them cheap for 2014 and then resigning them is the way to go.
            Or you can leverage that cheap year to get them an earlier payday and save yourself some long-term coin. Pretty sure the Broncos will do so with one or both of the Thomas twins this offseason.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
              Cool and that will all go to DT, OJ, Decker, and DRC. How are we improving our roster again?
              DT and OJ are still under contract for next year. It's be the following year, that Denver might be in cap hell with Von Miller, OJ, DT all due for extensions.

              Of the four you listed, DRC is the only one that should add a big cap number. They'll still be in a very good cap situation even if they give him a big deal. Need to stay far away from Decker's future big contract tho

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                This too. If we can get them extended for less a year early it is vastly smarter than waiting until they are free agents.
                What do you care? You're already on record here as saying we're not going to do any better next year with Fox as the head coach.

                It's pointless to discuss this with someone who's convinced that the team is ****ed. Go ahead and enjoy your perspective.

                I've enjoyed this year and what the team has accomplished. It sucks they didn't show up in the one game that mattered but that's not going to change the numerous a$$beatings the team handed down to most we faced.

                At the same time I'm going to look forward to watching this roster improve, yes improve, when we get Chris Harris, Von, Rahim, Wolfe back healthy to make us a top 10 defense once again.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by fontaine View Post
                  For 2014? Are you serious?
                  I'm not going to look it up because it doesn't matter, but if you're saying cutting them will give us $27 in cap space we didn't have before, then looking at this year is what matters.

                  Looking at what they theoretically could have been paid next year (if not cut) does nothing to tell you how much better your cap situation will be vs this year.

                  Or try it another way. Show me how cutting those 3 players will give us an extra $27 in cap vs this year...

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                    Not saying you can't get lucky once in awhile. But the whole "We'll improve the team with near-league-minimum vets" strategy leaves a lot to be desired.
                    There's also the fact that we are drafting near the end of every round, but what does that matter right?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                      Yes, vastly improve the team by bringing in really cheap players on short contracts. Brilliant! Why doesn't everyone think of that?

                      Not saying you can't get lucky once in awhile. But the whole "We'll improve the team with near-league-minimum vets" strategy leaves a lot to be desired.
                      I didn't just mention veterans. Drafting well is the key and something we've done very well and then you finish off certain areas buy getting veterans who fit your defense/offense and can contribute immediately. And yes every team has though of that. But only a few manage to do it year after year like the Broncos have under this FO.

                      Or you can leverage that cheap year to get them an earlier payday and save yourself some long-term coin. Pretty sure the Broncos will do so with one or both of the Thomas twins this offseason.
                      Save yourself long-term coin?

                      This is where you're wrong. DT/Julius have pretty much capped out their value this year. They're not going to be able to significantly add any more numbers/production. People around the league know what these guys are worth. If anything they're value can only go down because of injury, suspensions, doing stupid things over the offseason etc.

                      Von Miller is the perfect example of this.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by rolandftw View Post
                        DT and OJ are still under contract for next year. It's be the following year, that Denver might be in cap hell with Von Miller, OJ, DT all due for extensions.

                        Of the four you listed, DRC is the only one that should add a big cap number. They'll still be in a very good cap situation even if they give him a big deal. Need to stay far away from Decker's future big contract tho
                        I agree on Decker for the most part. But it's hard to see how watching him walk will be an 'improvement'

                        Which is what we're talking about when we say it's going to be tough to even hold this team together, let alone vastly improve it.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by fontaine View Post
                          What do you care? You're already on record here as saying we're not going to do any better next year with Fox as the head coach.
                          Good point. I guess I'm still holding onto a tiny shred of hope that something miraculous will happen, like he retires.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                            I agree on Decker for the most part. But it's hard to see how watching him walk will be an 'improvement'

                            Which is what we're talking about when we say it's going to be tough to even hold this team together, let alone vastly improve it.
                            We will be forced to spend a draft pick in an attempt to replace him, thereby reducing the resources we can use to improve. So yeah.

                            Plus a rookie wide receiver for Manning. I'm sure that will be interesting.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                              I'm not going to look it up because it doesn't matter, but if you're saying cutting them will give us $27 in cap space we didn't have before, then looking at this year is what matters.

                              Looking at what they theoretically could have been paid next year (if not cut) does nothing to tell you how much better your cap situation will be vs this year.

                              Or try it another way. Show me how cutting those 3 players will give us an extra $27 in cap vs this year...
                              It's really simple.

                              The Broncos are about $17million under the cap for 2014 considering we roll over close to $7million from this year and Tebow's contract taken on by the Jets.

                              Champ/Dressen/Kuper are all under contract for 2014. Cutting these contracts gives us an additional $14-16million in space. About $5-6million has to be allocated for the draft class/practice squad.

                              That makes us around $27million under the cap in total.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by fontaine View Post
                                I didn't just mention veterans. Drafting well is the key and something we've done very well and then you finish off certain areas buy getting veterans who fit your defense/offense and can contribute immediately. And yes every team has though of that. But only a few manage to do it year after year like the Broncos have under this FO.
                                Manning's window is too narrow to think the draft can save us. And the FO did great with very little cash on their FA's last offseason. But even if they can reproduce that success, they're basically back where they started this season. No real improvement.


                                Save yourself long-term coin?

                                This is where you're wrong. DT/Julius have pretty much capped out their value this year. They're not going to be able to significantly add any more numbers/production. People around the league know what these guys are worth. If anything they're value can only go down because of injury, suspensions, doing stupid things over the offseason etc.

                                Von Miller is the perfect example of this.
                                You leverage that last cheap year, plus at least some uncertainty of what can happen next year, plus the fact that these kids haven't had their big payday yet, and might like it sooner rather than later.

                                Not sure why you think this is so controversial. Stars on their rookie deals probably get extended more often than not.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X