Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does this loss rank in terms of pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Dude
    replied
    I don't know. For me it's a matter of context. As you get older, you inevitably experience more pain and tragedy in your life in general (but also some great moments if you're lucky), so the ups and downs in spectator sports don't have the same impact.

Also, it depends on expectations. As a general rule, I think the people who were most optimistic about yesterday's game are naturally going to suffer more pain than those who were more skeptical or guarded about it.

Yeah, the Broncos were favored, but not by that much, and there were plenty of reasons to be concerned. Seattle was a great defensive team. They got Percy Harvin back at exactly the right time. They came into the game without any significant injuries at key spots. Their fans showed up in great force and owned the stadium.

Denver's defense was severely depleted with injuries. They played well down the stretch, thanks to Pot Roast, Trevathan and a couple others, but it was probably just a matter of time before it caught up with them.

I honestly thought that if the Broncos could get a significant lead, we could take this, because the Hawks aren't built to come from behind, but that was not to be. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong from the opening coin flip on.

So yeah, I'm bitterly disappointed, but I can't say I was "stunned," "shocked," or "baffled." Once the game was underway I could kind of see this freight train coming, and the only question was how bad it would get.

Plus, I get got lectured by my family about being a mean and bitter jerk after the Colts game, so I was consciously trying to maintain more distance and calm this time.

My stepson was originally going to join us for the game, but instead spent it at a hospital, at his biological dad's side, who is undergoing tests for leukemia. I guess that kind of kept things in perspective for me.

I'm not quite as down as most of us about Denver's prospects next year, but I'll debate that at some other time.

In the meantime, all I'd ask is that we try to be civil to one another and understand that some people are hurting a lot more than others.

Leave a comment:

• edog24
    replied
    For me this was the worst. I lived through and watched all of our previous beatdowns also. Back then though, the super teams existed, the parity in the league didn't exist- we were going against goliath and we got what we expected for the most part.

With the parity in the league and the salary cap in the modern era, what happened last night was inexcusable. There is not that big of a discrepancy in the talent levels of these two teams, every single member of the team failed last night.

Leave a comment:

• Arkie
    replied
    1. Jacksonville in '96. I thought Elway lost his best chance to get a ring.
    2. Seattle. This was Champ's best shot at a ring.

Leave a comment:

• Brohemoth
    replied
    I'm immune to emotion after The Red Wedding in Game of Thrones.

Leave a comment:

• Rohirrim
    replied
    Originally posted by Ol#7 View Post
    1985 we were 13-3 and flamed out in the first round, 1986 we gave upasafety and got trounced in the SB...No reason we can't man it back again, were following the 80's script.
    Back then, we had a young Elway just getting started on his career. Now we have a QB who is year to year at best.

Leave a comment:

• Ol#7
    replied
    1985 we were 13-3 and flamed out in the first round, 1986 we gave upasafety and got trounced in the SB...No reason we can't man it back again, were following the 80's script.

Leave a comment:

• Agamemnon
    replied
    Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
    Bingo. People who think this team is just going to reload and come back next year are living in fantasy land. This was a complete collapse. As far as Manning with the Broncos goes, THIS was his shot at grabbing the ring. It failed. Miserably. Some of the same people blaming Fox and Gase now were saying that Manning was the real, offensive coach all year anyway, and Fox and Gase were just along for the ride. Which of these is true? If Manning was the REAL coach than what does that say? Could Manning call off any of those plays today and change them at will at the line? Sure. So why didn't he? Did you see some of those passes? That gameplan played right into the strengths of the Seahawks. Why didn't it get changed at the half? Or after the first quarter?

So what do we do now? Build a team around Manning? When it came to those former losses, I always felt that Elway had it in him. He would keep coming back, and if the pieces came together, he would win it. The teams under him were weak, but he had what it took. Hell, he carried those teams to SBs on his back but they couldn't hold up.

Peyton's performance today leads me to the opposite conclusion. Even if all the pieces are together, does he have what it takes? Plenty of Indy fans didn't think so. Irsay didn't think so. Frankly, Manning played like **** today. The D, even taking the worst hits on the injury list (Von, Vickerson, Harris) and an offensive collapse, still kept us in the game for the first quarter, waiting for the offense to respond. When they didn't, or couldn't, the D couldn't hold the line anymore. This was supposed to be the best offense in NFL history. So why the collapse? That's Elway's question to answer.

This is up there with the worst defeats because this team is now clouded in doubt. Like TJ says, teams don't bounce back from this kind of collapse.
    You pretty much summed up why I wish the guy would just retire. We aren't coming back from this. It's time to just move on from Manning and Fox.

Leave a comment:

• Rohirrim
    replied
    Originally posted by Taco John View Post
    That loss was painful but greatly muted by my homerism and absolute belief that we would bounce back stronger than ever.

This one is different for me because frankly, we aren't going back next year. I don't remember a team ever being blown out like this and bouncing back. Does anyone else? It would be unprecedented to my memory. When a team loses like this on the big stage, they go for a long walk through the wilderness. I pray to God I'm wrong, but this loss is a huge missed opportunity.
    Bingo. People who think this team is just going to reload and come back next year are living in fantasy land. This was a complete collapse. As far as Manning with the Broncos goes, THIS was his shot at grabbing the ring. It failed. Miserably. Some of the same people blaming Fox and Gase now were saying that Manning was the real offensive coach all year anyway, and Fox and Gase were just along for the ride. Which of these is true? If Manning was the REAL coach than what does that say? Could Manning call off any of those plays today and change them at will at the line? Sure. So why didn't he? Did you see some of those passes? That gameplan played right into the strengths of the Seahawks. Why didn't it get changed at the half? Or after the first quarter?

So what do we do now? Build a team around Manning? You've got a year. Maybe two. Who knows? Maybe he hangs it up next week. When it came to those former losses, I always felt that Elway had it in him. He would keep coming back, and if the pieces came together, he would win it. The teams under him were weak, but he had what it took. Hell, he carried those teams to SBs on his back but they couldn't hold up.

Peyton's performance today leads me to the opposite conclusion. Even if all the pieces are together, does he have what it takes? Plenty of Indy fans didn't think so. Irsay didn't think so. Frankly, Manning played like **** today. The D, even taking the worst hits on the injury list (Von, Vickerson, Harris) and an offensive collapse, still kept us in the game for the first half, waiting for the offense to respond. When they didn't, or couldn't, or worse, gave up scores, the D couldn't hold the line anymore. This was supposed to be the best offense in NFL history. So why the collapse? That's Elway's question to answer.

This is up there with the worst defeats because this team is now clouded in doubt. Like TJ says, teams don't bounce back from this kind of collapse.
    Last edited by Rohirrim; 02-03-2014, 03:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• maven
    replied
    This game for me is all the way at the top. This game was bad. Awful bad. Losing to Baltimore. Losing to Jax. So what, they were playoffs. But, to see and play like that in the SB again. Fuuuuuuccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Leave a comment:

• Ol#7
    replied
    I'm more shocked than anything. That game should not have happened.

Leave a comment:

• nyuk nyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Blart View Post
    I disagree. For anyone who talks trash about the Broncos today, ask them where their favorite team ended up this season. Only one city has any right to talk smack.
    THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.......

Post of the effing evening.

Leave a comment:

• nyuk nyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
    I'd rather the Broncos NOT get to the SB than to keep losing them.
    That's been the fan motto since the 80s. If you gotta lose, lose NOW before we get to the Super Bowl.

Leave a comment:

• Blart
    replied
    Originally posted by ATL-Eric View Post
    I avoided all tv after the game but just hit u reddit and it's brutal. **** me. We scored 8
    I disagree. For anyone who talks trash about the Broncos today, ask them where their favorite team ended up this season. Only one city has any right to talk smack.

Leave a comment:

• Finger Roll
    replied
    Originally posted by rolandftw View Post
    It's not what you want to see, but I still think it's better off playing in them and losing bad, then not even making it that far. As bad as the game was, there wasn't a single team in the AFC that would take their ending over ours.
    I agree. At least they were the AFC champs

Leave a comment:

• rolandftw
    replied
    Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
    this sucks. The Broncos lose another SB in a huge blowout. this is NOT the type of legacy I want the Broncos to have. 2-5 is SBs, really?

I'd rather the Broncos NOT get to the SB than to keep losing them.
    It's not what you want to see, but I still think it's better off playing in them and losing bad, then not even making it that far. As bad as the game was, there wasn't a single team in the AFC that would take their ending over ours.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X