The NFL is screwing up their brand pretty badly... RE: "The Big Game"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NFL is screwing up their brand pretty badly... RE: "The Big Game"

Interesting observation - at least I think it's interesting.

So kids today don't call it the Superbowl. At least not the kids around my life. They call it "The Big Game." They hear it on the radio because apparently nobody is allowed to say "Superbowl" for risk of being sued. So now a whole generation is growing up thinking of the event as being called "The Big Game," and the fact that it's "The Superbowl" is more like a neat side note to them.

I've heard my son say the words "The Big Game" about two dozen times in the last week. He's said the word Superbowl exactly twice, and both times after I had said it myself. He says his friends at school call it "The Big Game" as well.

I’ve never seen a quality org like the NFL go full on derp so fast in my life. It’d be a very long fall, but they’re in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Taco John View Post
      They hear it on the radio because apparently nobody is allowed to say "Superbowl" for risk of being sued.
      Seriously? wow.

Comment

Up until we won the AFCCG I would say 'the big show' because I didn't want to jinx it.

Then we won and I started screaming 'SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!"

Comment

So kids today don't call it the Superbowl. At least not the kids around my life. They call it "The Big Game." They hear it on the radio because apparently nobody is allowed to say "Superbowl" for risk of being sued. So now a whole generation is growing up thinking of the event as being called "The Big Game," and the fact that it's "The Superbowl" is more like a neat side note to them.

I've heard my son say the words "The Big Game" about two dozen times in the last week. He's said the word Superbowl exactly twice, and both times after I had said it myself. He says his friends at school call it "The Big Game" as well.
          Huh? That's news to me> My kids, their friends, kids I coach all use the term Super Bowl. What lawsuites do you speak of?

Comment

You should start suing everyone who uses the term 'orangemane'. Make everyone refer to the site as fred

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
              Huh? That's news to me> My kids, their friends, kids I coach all use the term Super Bowl. What lawsuites do you speak of?
              Advertisers. The original post makes it sound like its everyone on the radio... that's not the case. Regular media people are obviously allowed to say "Super Bowl". The NFL won't allow advertisers to use a trademark term of theirs without a licensing agreement.

It's weird that kids might be growing up with their term for the game dictated by advertisements. I haven't heard anyone refer to it as "The Big Game"...
              Last edited by Bronco X; 01-31-2014, 12:24 AM.

Comment

You mostly hear the term "Big Game" from local media because they don't want to pay the license fee to use the term "Superbowl".

Comment

Oh, I thought everybody knew about this by now. This has been going on for some time...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-315003

Comment

Oh, I thought everybody knew about this by now. This has been going on for some time...

Pawn Stars had their SB show recently, and they had to refer to it throughout the show as the big game. It seemed kind of silly to me, but reality I suppose.

The worse case I have heard of is some guy that called in to a radio show this week and said Kinkos refused to print his flyers advertising his Super Bowl party.
                    I guess they didn't like that he called it a Super Bowl and named the teams. They said it was about copyright infringement, or something.

Comment

This is a long week...

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
                        The one coming your way after I get my lawyers certificate or whatever it's called. Gotta start somewhere. BTW, I see the ex-NFL players are pissed off they only get about $220 apiece in the concussion settlement. The lawyers raked the cream off the top of that. What a surprise.

Comment

Yes I knew about this. I just didn't equate unlicensed vs. licensed advertising overshadowing the brands actual name.

My kids and the kids I know are still playing Video games with the name Super Bowl referenced in it. My sons have Super Bowl 32/33 posters in their rooms (Bringing them up right8'. ) They have clothing with "super Bowl" printed on it. "super Bowl" is still advertised everywhere in merchandise.

I know what you're saying about the generic banners and radio spots for the small businesse etc. Thats nothing new.

Comment

I haven't heard a single person call it "The Big Game" rather than the Super Bowl. Not one.

Comment

They hear it on the radio because apparently nobody is allowed to say "Superbowl" for risk of being sued. So now a whole generation is growing up thinking of the event as being called "The Big Game," and the fact that it's "The Superbowl" is more like a neat side note to them.
                              I agree completely, it makes the league look petty and no-fun. Most companies want publicity, they want free promotion. But the NFL apparently thinks they have enough free promotion, so they started really cracking down on this in 2007... then - voila! - the next three years saw their two biggest 'Official Sponsorship' deals shift from big corporations to biggest corporations: 2011, Budweiser replaced Coors ... 2012, Nike replaced Reebok. Bud paid double what Coors had been paying, Nike almost triple Reebok. These differences add up to more than a Billion dollars for the NFL.

Can't say "Final Four" or "March Madness" either ... but this stuff goes beyond sports: the State of Kentucky has a trademark on the word 'Kentucky,' which is why Kentucky Fried Chicken changed its name to KFC. True story.

Comment

Working...
                              X