Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Seattle Come out throwing the Ball against Denver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Seattle Come out throwing the Ball against Denver?

Up until this point in the year, no team has run the ball more than the Seahawks. Russel Wilson has been incredibly efficient and provided a great deal of production for the Seahawks, but has not had the burden of the offence placed on him the way Peyton Manning has. Conventional wisdom suggests that the Seahawks will continue to pound the ball to wear down the Denver Defense and open up their passing game. However, many have found success by being contrary to conventional wisdom

For all of his other faults, Pete Carrol is no idiot. He knows that while his offense is not a liability it is also not dominant to the point were he can simply pit strength against strength when game planning for an opponent. The biggest strength of the Broncos Defense right now is defending the inside run. Our greatest liability is our battered secondary. We have been using dominant line play to mask them a bit, but make no mistake, they are the soft point on the Denver Defense right now.

Now, Seattle's offensive line play has left a lot to be desired in terms of pass-blocking. Getting their starting Left Tackle back has helped, but no one is going to mistake them for an all pro line. So, the key would be buying Wilson that extra second he needs for a receiver to come free in the Denver Secondary.

To that end, I think we could see Seattle open with a series of designed roll-outs, play-action passes, and maybe even some crazy flea-flicker action. Plays designed to get Wilson in space to buy him the time he needs to find an open receiver down field. I only hope that Denver is ready for this strategy if it indeed comes to fruition.

I don't get the feeling that Seattle is going to do anything new on any level. They have been a straight forward, this is what we do, try to beat it team. They won't change that. They don't do anything creative. They will come out and play us no different than any team this season and bet the championship that their guys will out execute or out muscle our guys.

Comment

I think Seattle is the most likely team to run a trick play (reverse, double reverse, flea flicker), but they don't throw the ball because they're just not all that great at the receiver or QB position. Russ is very good, but he's a second year player, and asking him to go out and win the Super Bowl seems like a risky proposition.

And like 2K said, they're a "this is what we do" type of team.

Comment

the broncos better be ready for anything. Percy Harvin in the backfield for a sweep, reverse, screen, etc.

Comment

I think they will on 1st and 10s early in the game. They probably realize our safeties aren't great and can be had over the top and Carroll will try to exploit that. Also see them calling some designed run plays for Wilson early in the game too. Making Denver have to be on their toes the entire game against him

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
            I think they will on 1st and 10s early in the game. They probably realize our safeties aren't great and can be had over the top and Carroll will try to exploit that. Also see them calling some designed run plays for Wilson early in the game too. Making Denver have to be on their toes the entire game against him
            They might. But Seattle doesnt seem like a team that likes to step out of their comfort zone. I assume they think they'll dominate us physically, so there would be no need to outsmart us

Comment

in playoffs throwing on 1st down seattle is avg 1 yard...they will run (5 yards per run avg on 1st down)

Comment

I could see a play action pass to open, but really I think they spend the game trying to run.

Comment

No. After the disaster that was the first play of the 49er game, there is very little chance they do anything other than run Lynch up the middle on the first play...especially if Seattle receives the opening kick.

For the game, Seattle will not go away from the run but I would expect them to throw a little bit more than the past 4 or 5 games.

Comment

Originally posted by andyh64000 View Post
                    No. After the disaster that was the first play of the 49er game, there is very little chance they do anything other than run Lynch up the middle on the first play...especially if Seattle receives the opening kick.

For the game, Seattle will not go away from the run but I would expect them to throw a little bit more than the past 4 or 5 games.
                    That first play was embarrassing, but i suppose was more of an anomaly. But man, I wish we had Von Miller back for this game.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
                      That first play was embarrassing, but i suppose was more of an anomaly. But man, I wish we had Von Miller back for this game.
                      yes and no.....he's very undisciplined in the running game and the broncos needs their ends to stay at home/maintain their gaps vs Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by 2KBack View Post
                        I don't get the feeling that Seattle is going to do anything new on any level. They have been a straight forward, this is what we do, try to beat it team. They won't change that. They don't do anything creative. They will come out and play us no different than any team this season and bet the championship that their guys will out execute or out muscle our guys.
                        I agree with this, but I hope they do come out and try to be different on both sides of the ball. If they do that, I think they'll make mistakes that will be to the Broncos advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedhed View Post
                          I agree with this, but I hope they do come out and try to be different on both sides of the ball. If they do that, I think they'll make mistakes that will be to the Broncos advantage.
                          The thing is the entire world thinks they will come out running early. They try to get cute and force the pass early to shake things up its gonna end up incompletes.

Comment

Of all the things to fear this game, Wilson beating is with his arm is near last on the list.

Guy is averaging 150 yards at less than 7YPA and 0.8 TDs the last 6 games.

If Brady and Rivers couldn't do it, I don't expect a much lesser QB to be able to.

Comment

Not a chance. They're going to run, and they're going to run, and they're going to run, and they're going to run. THEN they'll try to pass in order to set up the run.

Comment

Working...
                              X