How good is Seattle's pass rush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is Seattle's pass rush?

All anyone talks about is Seattle's secondary. But to me, the more important topic is their pass rush.

How did the Giants beat the 18-0 Patriots? Pass rush. Brady had no time to throw and he was always under pressure. It didn't matter how good or bad NY's secondary was because their front 4 was all over Brady.

Does anyone really believe that if Manning gets all day to throw, he won't be able to pick apart Seattle's vaunted, legendary secondary? Of course he will. But if he is under pressure, it will be a bit more tricky. Peyton can defeat any defense if he has enough time. And it doesn't take much.

So how good is Seattle's line/pass rushing LB's? If they aren't great, then Surgeon Manning will have no problem pick pick picking apart the rest of their defense.

Originally posted by Broncobiv View Post
    All anyone talks about is Seattle's secondary. But to me, the more important topic is their pass rush.

How did the Giants beat the 18-0 Patriots? Pass rush. Brady had no time to throw and he was always under pressure. It didn't matter how good or bad NY's secondary was because their front 4 was all over Brady.

Does anyone really believe that if Manning gets all day to throw, he won't be able to pick apart Seattle's vaunted, legendary secondary? Of course he will. But if he is under pressure, it will be a bit more tricky. Peyton can defeat any defense if he has enough time. And it doesn't take much.

So how good is Seattle's line/pass rushing LB's? If they aren't great, then Surgeon Manning will have no problem pick pick picking apart the rest of their defense.
    From his homework watching film, I believe Manning will have some idea from the get-go of which matchup is the one he wants to exploit. Within a few series, we'll be able to discern a pattern (one specific receiver/defender combo) he's targeting. No pass rush is likely to be significantly effective against a QB who already knows where he's going and can get the ball out in >3 seconds.

Comment

Their pass rush is good but not great. Nothing we haven't faced before.

Comment

They don't have a Pot

Roast

Comment

Originally posted by Broncobiv View Post

You're absolutely correct. If you give someone like Manning time, you expose your secondary no matter how good they are or how much they like to hold.

The thing that is starting to worry me is that thus game might be all about what the officials let the Seattle DBs get away with. Even if Manning has time, there might be times when he throws quickly based on recognizing what he feels is a favorable matchup. If Seattle is committing PI on those plays and it's not being called, it could throw off the timing.

Comment

With how we seem to have mastered the quick screen passes, I'm not concerned with this at all. Our O-Line has been great at protecting Manning long enough for his to get the ball to any of the five eligibles.
            Last edited by canadianbroncosfan; 01-30-2014, 04:55 AM.

Comment

I would imagine their pass rush will be a lot better than what they've put on tape all year.

Comment

Surprisingly I'd rank KC pass rush ahead of Seattle's and theirs didn't do much against our line

Comment

Seattle comes with waves of guys. They have a lot of good to very good pass rushers, nobody GREAT.

The key will be to not let them substitute, which we already know PFM is well aware of. Going to be interesting if we can get the tempo moving once on offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Action View Post
                    I would imagine their pass rush will be a lot better than what they've put on tape all year.
                    Why?

Comment

Originally posted by TripleTilde View Post
                      The thing that is starting to worry me is that thus game might be all about what the officials let the Seattle DBs get away with. Even if Manning has time, there might be times when he throws quickly based on recognizing what he feels is a favorable matchup. If Seattle is committing PI on those plays and it's not being called, it could throw off the timing.
                      Everyones talking about the weather, but his is by far a bigger factor. This could even be a deciding factor.

Quietly, the Seahawks have achieved a 13-3 record and home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs by exploiting a loophole: NFL referees are reluctant to throw endless flags for pass interference and defensive holding, even if defenses deserve them.

"They look at it and say, 'We may get called for one but not 10,'" said Mike Pereira, a former NFL vice president of officiating who is now a Fox analyst.

Waiting for the officials to save you isn't a strategy. "If you think they're going to be called and expect that to be the solution to the problem, you're going to be sadly mistaken," said former Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, who said the Seahawks' persistent interference happens on nearly every play. "They've perfected the art."
                      http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...10500005285822

Comment

Seattle had 44 sacks in the regular season, tied for 8th-best with Green Bay and behind Carolina (60), Buffalo (57), St. Louis (53), New Orleans (49), New England (48), and Arizona and Kansas City (each with 47).

To my surprise, the Broncos had only three fewer sacks on the season than Seattle. (41)

In four games against teams with better sack records than the Seahawks (2 vs. KC and 2 vs. New England - one in the playoffs) Denver only gave up two sacks.

Pundits will argue, however, that the stats are skewed, because they don't reflect on the one hand how often Seahawks pass rushers hurried the opposing QB and on the other how often Manning avoided sacks by throwing the ball away.

I think there's some truth to the first factor, but we all saw a lot of games in which Manning was barely touched.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dude View Post
                          Pundits will argue, however, that the stats are skewed, because they don't reflect on the one hand how often Seahawks pass rushers hurried the opposing QB...
                          Yup, it's really more about pressure than sacks. But there isn't an official stat on pressures so sacks is the only concrete number we have to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
                            With how we seem to have mastered the quick screen passes, I'm not concerned with this at all. Our O-Line has been great at protecting Manning long enough for his to get the ball to any of the five eligibles.
                            I think they are going to be well prepared for our screens, and they are a fast defense. I expect several of our quick WR screens to get blown up, but even that has some value - kind of like sticking with the run game. If Gase is creative and patient, i'm sure we will see a way to counter their attacks on our screen game. I think that we are going to have some real openings to take 6-8 yard shots all day, and if Manning is on early, flooding the boundaries and forcing Earl Thomas to commit early could pay huge dividends (even over the middle).

This is going to be an exciting game with some great match ups. I'm not sure that it will be as fun as watching the Manning vs. Polamolu battle (Manning's first game as a Bronco), but it will be fun nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                              Yup, it's really more about pressure than sacks. But there isn't an official stat on pressures so sacks is the only concrete number we have to work with.
                              Yes there are. Seahawks had 160 pressures and the Broncos had 170 this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X