Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyke Tolbert: Tony Carter is capable of being a Super Bowl playmaker

File this one away for Sunday.

Asked Wednesday for a Broncos player who could author a key play in Super Bowl XLVIII, Denver wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert offered up the name of reserve cornerback Tony Carter.

“He, in the back of my mind, is the guy that no one is talking about who could be the guy that could step up and make a play,” Tolbert said, according to a transcript of his remarks from the NFL.

Tolbert noted that “it could be anybody” that has an impact in the Super Bowl. But Tolbert likes what he’s seen of Carter, a fifth-year pro from Florida State who played 33-of-56 snaps in the Broncos’ win in the AFC title game vs. New England.

“I see him in practice every day,” Tolbert said. “I see how he is fast, he’s quick, he has good change of direction. He makes plays in practice a lot, so he could be a guy who could step up and make a play for us.”

The 27-year-old Carter has three career picks, and he scored on an interception and a fumble return in 2012.

http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/...ticleId=287328

Originally posted by bronco0608 View Post
    File this one away for Sunday.
    done. indexed right between the TPS reports and next quarter's performance reviews (which are filled out mad lib style). made sure it's right below the desk flask though so it doesn't get missed before the Q1 review process.
    Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 01-29-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
      Tony Carter is a great guy to have on the roster.

How many teams can say their #4 CB has significant experience successfully shutting down opposing #1 WRs?
      I know. While there is a drop-off from Harris, it is not as large as people make it out to be.

Comment

it's all mental with tony c. dude has the physical skills to be a top nickle back. I mean a 4.3 40 and 39 inch vert is crazy talented. he just needs a coach to let him get the reps and play through mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
          done. indexed right between the TPS reports and next quarter's performance reviews (which are filled out mad lib style). made sure it's right below the desk flask though so it doesn't get missed before the Q1 review process.
          Sad thing is, you had to edit that lame post.

Comment

Carter has tremendous ability with the ball in the air and is a legit sub 4.4 guy. His deal is always concentration. He's as apt to make a play as he is to blow one. Even last week, he drifted in coverage and the Pats had a chance to hit a long one down the sideline before the half because he lost his bearings on where to be.

I hope we get good TC. Seattle's strength at WR is speed. Having a guy like him, locked in, will only make this defense that much stronger.
            Last edited by bpc; 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yerner View Post
              it's all mental with tony c. dude has the physical skills to be a top nickle back. I mean a 4.3 40 and 39 inch vert is crazy talented. he just needs a coach to let him get the reps and play through mistakes.
              It's not mental. Tony Carter's problem is when an opponent puts a 6-3, 6-4 WR that can use his body to box him out. Other than that, there's really nothing to nitpick with his coverage.

Comment

The thought of Carter having to tackle Lynch one on one in the open field is the stuff of nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco0608 View Post
                  Sad thing is, you had to edit that lame post.

relax, dude. it's not like i dropped a bunch of poster-sized images in your thread.

if you want a serious post, I think Carter's a good match for the WRs in this game. The league is becoming more and more dependent on subpackage players who can match up well with the competition. Carter is fluid, has playoff experience, has starting experience, and can play zone or man effectively against like-sized players or the less physical WRs. I suspect he will be tested and that will provide him opportunity to make a big play--which he is fully capable of as we have seen both this year and last.

feel free to save that in your trapper keeper.
                  Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 01-29-2014, 06:29 PM. Reason: edited for broncos0608

Comment

Originally posted by Tensi 2 Denson View Post
                    It's not mental. Tony Carter's problem is when an opponent puts a 6-3, 6-4 WR that can use his body to box him out. Other than that, there's really nothing to nitpick with his coverage.
                    how many cb's can cover that type of wr? carter is no doubt a matchup player. but he hasn't been as consistent as he needs to be even when he's on a player he is suited well against. i think it's a lack of feeling confidence from the coaching staff and overall career live reps. he needs to know he's going to be in there and not worried about getting pulled after a missed tackle or mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post

relax, dude. it's not like i dropped a bunch of poster-sized images in your thread.

if you want a serious post, I think Carter's a good match for the WRs in this game. The league is becoming more and more dependent on subpackage players who can match up well with the competition. Carter is fluid, has playoff experience, has starting experience, and can play zone or man effectively against like-sized players or the less physical WRs. I suspect he will be tested and that will provide him opportunity to make a big play--which he is fully capable of as we have seen both this year and last.

feel free to save that in your trapper keeper.
                      Did not read.

Comment

Originally posted by yerner View Post
                        how many cb's can cover that type of wr?
                        if it's 6'3" or 6'4" just a guy WR, there are quite a few CBs who can match up against them, but struggle with smaller WRs. Carter is a solid player, but I agree w/ Tensi in that he struggles with the bigger and more physical WRs. I see him as a very solid depth and matchup CB right now. His biggest issue is with the box out, the physicality of bigger WRs, and tackling. But he's proven he's a good cover CB who can ball against the less physical WRs and make plays when the front seven forces the issue.
                        Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 01-29-2014, 06:35 PM. Reason: edited for broncos0608

Comment

Carter assigned to Harvin?

Comment

Originally posted by Sly_Eli View Post
                            The thought of Carter having to tackle Lynch one on one in the open field is the stuff of nightmares.
                            does it really matter who our CB is if Lynch gets past the front 7 ?

but keep hating on him.

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
                              Carter has tremendous ability with the ball in the air and is a legit sub 4.4 guy. His deal is always concentration. He's as apt to make a play as he is to blow one. Even last week, he drifted in coverage and the Pats had a chance to hit a long one down the sideline before the half because he lost his bearings on where to be.
                              That was Ihenacho's fault too. Edelman had both of them beat by at least 5 yards on that play.

Comment

Working...
                              X