Okay, kind of confused, did someone change the rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, kind of confused, did someone change the rules

I've been listening to various talking heads on the local sports radio lately. Maybe its just my timing but it seams I'm always getting the local Seattle Affiliate or beat writer doing a guest appearance to talk about the upcoming match-up.

Now, local guys are going to favor their own team. I get that. But one of the talking points that continues to confuse me is Seattle's insistence that they will be able to keep their front 7 fresh by constantly rotating guys in and out. Every time I hear this I keep thinking, when has Peyton ever allowed a defensive front to rotate players in and out.

So, is this just a case of the local Seattle press not understanding how Peyton likes to punish defenses with pace or is there something else I'm missing here?

That does bring up another question. If you were tasked with running a defense against Peyton, and a portion of your success on defense was predicated on your ability to sub in your various packages in the front seven, would you go ahead and take the occasional 5 yard penalty on 1st down against Peyton's hurry up to achieve this?

expect a lot of injury faking

Comment

I think the fact that Peyton uses the whole play clock so often overshadows the fact that the defense wasn't able to substitute. I think people associate no huddle with fast pace .

Comment

Denver does not always run no huddle, but Peyton is always good for an "extra man" penalty every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
          I've been listening to various talking heads on the local sports radio lately. Maybe its just my timing but it seams I'm always getting the local Seattle Affiliate or beat writer doing a guest appearance to talk about the upcoming match-up.

Now, local guys are going to favor their own team. I get that. But one of the talking points that continues to confuse me is Seattle's insistence that they will be able to keep their front 7 fresh by constantly rotating guys in and out. Every time I hear this I keep thinking, when has Peyton ever allowed a defensive front to rotate players in and out.

So, is this just a case of the local Seattle press not understanding how Peyton likes to punish defenses with pace or is there something else I'm missing here?

That does bring up another question. If you were tasked with running a defense against Peyton, and a portion of your success on defense was predicated on your ability to sub in your various packages in the front seven, would you go ahead and take the occasional 5 yard penalty on 1st down against Peyton's hurry up to achieve this?
          The rules didn't change, the D can always attempt to substitute, but at the quick speed of a PFM-led no huddle, the D has to sub quicker than PFM can get to the line and snap the ball. Attempting to sub for the D during the brief moments between the end of the play and the snap allows the QB to pick up an easy "too many men" penalty or catch the D before they've fully set.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
            Oh yeah, forgot about that. On the plus side, if injury faking gets too bad during the Superbowl, and a particularly high profile Superbowl at that, it might finally spur the competition committee into addressing it this off-season.

Comment

I don't get it either. The talking heads keep saying "seattle's front 7 will dominate and part of that reason is the constant rotation to keep guys fresh...." and then completely ignore the fact that the Broncos offense can go no huddle at any time.

In fact, the Broncos are so good at no huddle that I've seen the Broncos OFFENSIVE LINE get tired too. I can only imagine the stress it puts on the defensive line.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                Yup. x1000

Comment

They will have a better opportunity in the Super Bowl with all the increased commercial breaks, but yeah, if Peyton doesn't want to let you substitute you generally can't. The Broncos get to the line of scrimmage quickly, and if you try to substitute you'll get a 12 man on the field penalty. Their only recourse will be calling timeout to substitute, or as someone else said, faking injuries.

Comment

on a side note, the chargers were hopping off sides with PFM's hard count all day, then the Pats stayed set all day long. What will the seacocks do?

Comment

Refs should be able to throw an "unsportsman like conduct" flag on seattle's defense if they play the "I've fallen and I can't get up!" crap due to their fatigue.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleTilde View Post
                        I think the fact that Peyton uses the whole play clock so often overshadows the fact that the defense wasn't able to substitute. I think people associate no huddle with fast pace .
                        To this point - we eat up clock in the no huddle. But if there are too many men or if PFM sees the D is not set on an attempted sub, he'll call the snap to take advantage of the situation.

Basically the no-huddle allows him to do 1 of 2 things:

1) take his time at the line eyeing the D scheme and making minor (or major) adjustments to the play call; or,

2) Hurry up the snap to get a "free" 5-yards, or catch the D unawares.

Comment

I think there is a 1000 post rule

Comment

Working...
                          X