Seattle defense road tested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle defense road tested?

Here is an interesting stat. Seattle has played very few top ten offenses all year (once at Home against the saints). We have all talked about this. But if you look at how they did on the road, it is even more telling that their defense may not be fully tested.

Best road offense against Seattle (yards): Texans 11th, Seattle won by 3

Best road offense against Seattle (points): 49ers 11th, Seattle lost by 2

Second best road offense against Seattle (yards): Cardinals 12th, Seattle won by 12

Second best road offense against Seattle (points): Colts 14th, lost by 6

So Seattle hasn't faced a top ten offense on the road and their loses seem to be teams that were the best offenses they faced. The texans suck and Seattle barely pulled that game out. The Colts won and the Cards lost at their place, but won in Seattle. The 49ers, easily the better offense the seahawks faced, had a 11th scoring but were 24th in yards. So only the colts show up in the middle of the pack in both scoring and yards, hardly an offense powerhouse.

I really do not see a tested defense. Its a good defense, but on the road they struggle more with teams that seem to be the better lot of offensive teams they have faced.

Going on the road to face the number 1 offense in history (certainly in scoring and yards this year) is really something far from what the seahawks have yet to face.
    Last edited by Coldcity76; 01-26-2014, 07:17 PM.

I think by now it's been pretty well-established on this board that the Seahawks' defense hasn't faced many good QBs or offenses this year thereby inflating their stats. Ultimately though our offense still needs to go out there and execute. No turnovers and no drops by our receivers likely equals a good number of points for the Broncos. Like every other game the Broncos have played I'm more worried about them beating themselves than their opponent outplaying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Coldcity76 View Post
      Here is an interesting stat. Seattle has played very few top ten offenses all year (once at Home against the saints). We have all talked about this. But if you look at how they did on the road, it is even more telling that their defense may not be fully tested.

Best road offense against Seattle (yards): Texans 11th, Seattle won by 3

Best road offense against Seattle (points): 49ers 11th, Seattle lost by 2

Second best road offense against Seattle (yards): Cardinals 12th, Seattle won by 12

Second best road offense against Seattle (points): Colts 14th, lost by 6

So Seattle hasn't faced a top ten offense on the road and their loses seem to be teams that were the best offenses they faced. The texans suck and Seattle barely pulled that game out. The Colts won and the Cards lost at their place, but won in Seattle. The 49ers, easily the better offense the seahawks faced, had a 11th scoring but were 24th in yards. So only the colts show up in the middle of the pack in both scoring and yards, hardly an offense powerhouse.

I really do not see a tested defense. Its a good defense, but on the road they struggle more with teams that seem to be the better lot of offensive teams they have faced.

Going on the road to face the number 1 offense in history (certainly in scoring and yards this year) is really something far from what the seahawks have yet to face.
      Crap...the game is being played in Denver? I booked a flight to New Jersey. Dammit...I hope I can change my flight.

What were the great road (or anywhere) defenses the Broncos played? And you have the margin of victory for those games but how many points did the defense actually give up?

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
        I think by now it's been pretty well-established on this board that the Seahawks' defense hasn't faced many good QBs or offenses this year thereby inflating their stats. Ultimately though our offense still needs to go out there and execute. No turnovers and no drops by our receivers likely equals a good number of points for the Broncos. Like every other game the Broncos have played I'm more worried about them beating themselves than their opponent outplaying them.
        I'm not worried at all. What they've shown in these 2 playoff games has been very good. Both games, against really solid all around teams, were pretty much controlled and we were in no true threat to lose the game. We haven't been 1 dimension on offense, we've ran the ball good and passed great. The defense has played the run lights out and have played really solid pass defense, only allowing some garbage yards in the 4th.

I think it's going to be a good game but as with our past 2, I honestly feel we will control the game and come out ahead by 10 to 13 points.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
          I'm not worried at all. What they've shown in these 2 playoff games has been very good. Both games, against really solid all around teams, were pretty much controlled and we were in no true threat to lose the game. We haven't been 1 dimension on offense, we've ran the ball good and passed great. The defense has played the run lights out and have played really solid pass defense, only allowing some garbage yards in the 4th.

I think it's going to be a good game but as with our past 2, I honestly feel we will control the game and come out ahead by 10 to 13 points.
          I totally agree. I do think that they need to stop dropping the football though. The stupid turnovers have mostly abated at least. Honestly I'm not worried though. I'm very confident that Seattle does not match up with the way we have been playing offense and defense the past month.

Comment

I have a question. this seems like a good thread to ask it. does anyone know how many no huddle/ hurry up offenses the seaslug defense has played and how much success that offense had against them? Thanks for you all who follow the stats on this kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodMan View Post
              I have a question. this seems like a good thread to ask it. does anyone know how many no huddle/ hurry up offenses the seaslug defense has played and how much success that offense had against them? Thanks for you all who follow the stats on this kind of thing.
              To be honest...I don't remember playing against a lot of no huddle this year. Teams did situationally but I don't recall it being a major part of anyone's game plan.

edit: I also don't recall it being any more or less effective than a regular offense although statistically it might have been except it was likely also going against a prevent defense.
              Last edited by andyh64000; 01-26-2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	four horsemen.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	2351017

Comment

As if the SeaChickens will be enjoying the same manufactured noise in NJ. The same noise they live off of for delay of game penalties and everything else that goes along with it. They also get the bulk of their INT's at home. Hmmmmm.... wonder why that is.

SeaChickens are not the same team on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodMan View Post
                    First of all there is no no-huddle offense in the league like the Broncos have, and I'm pretty sure the Seahawks didn't face any no-huddle offenses at all this year. It's also worth noting that the Seahawks are very reliant on defensive substitutions.

Vanilla defense that is heavily reliant on player substitutions. Yeah that sounds like a winning combination against Peyton Manning...

Comment

Originally posted by andyh64000 View Post
                      To be honest...I don't remember playing against a lot of no huddle this year. Teams did situationally but I don't recall it being a major part of anyone's game plan.

edit: I also don't recall it being any more or less effective than a regular offense although statistically it might have been except it was likely also going against a prevent defense.
                      Holy hell you really don't know what you are in for do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
                        As if the SeaChickens will be enjoying the same manufactured noise in NJ. The same noise they live off of for delay of game penalties and everything else that goes along with it. They also get the bulk of their INT's at home. Hmmmmm.... wonder why that is.

SeaChickens are not the same team on the road.
                        Seahawks were 6-2 on the road and are you sure about the INT stat? I mean they picked the better looking manning brother off 5 times on the road (i am glad he is giving Peyton advice on how to throw in Met life Stadium).
                        Last edited by andyh64000; 01-26-2014, 09:16 PM.

Comment

yep, check the stats

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                            First of all there is no no-huddle offense in the league like the Broncos have, and I'm pretty sure the Seahawks didn't face any no-huddle offenses at all this year. It's also worth noting that the Seahawks are very reliant on defensive substitutions.

Vanilla defense that is heavily reliant on player substitutions. Yeah that sounds like a winning combination against Peyton Manning...
                            The Seahawks have a 7 man rotation on the defensive line mostly to keep everyone fresh but don't sub as much in the other positions. It isn't a situational thing as much as trying to get an advantage by having fresh player up front. Preventing it isn't as big of a deal as you seem to think it is...they can just sub the big uglies less often but still achieve the same effect.

Comment

You know you're not the same team on the road. Who you trying to fool here.

Comment

Working...
                              X