Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I swore to God that I would never care if the Broncos won another SB...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I swore to God that I would never care if the Broncos won another SB...

16 years ago, like it was yesterday. A small gathering of friends partied in my dorm room while I quietly had a nervous breakdown. Any Bronco fan alive during the 80's knows the pain of the Reeves era. We were still in shock over the '96 divisional loss to the Jags. And the greatest Bronco team that I've ever watched was a double-digit underdog to the GD Packers.

I made a deal with any deity that might be listening: my soul in exchange for just one Broncos SB victory. No exaggeration. I was completely desperate and willing to do anything to see it happen in my lifetime. Three-ish hours later when the deal was complete, I felt completely exalted (post hangover) and satisfied beyond my wildest expectations.

Until this season, SB 32 has sustained me. The result of SB 33 was an anticlimactic certainty as soon as the NFC championship was decided.. and it came with the bittersweet knowledge that Elway was likely done. The next 14 years of Bronco football were occasionally exciting but usually disappointing. Of course I wanted to witness another Broncos championship, but it wasn't the end of the world to me. Until now. I don't know exactly why, but I have that same mixture of anxious/excited/scared/happy/nausea/destiny in my chest and it's killing me. And since I've already sold my soul, I was hoping I could talk one of you into taking one for the team.

HA I was "watching" burning couches up in Boulder thinking the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
      16 years ago, like it was yesterday. A small gathering of friends partied in my dorm room while I quietly had a nervous breakdown. Any Bronco fan alive during the 80's knows the pain of the Reeves era. We were still in shock over the '96 divisional loss to the Jags. And the greatest Bronco team that I've ever watched was a double-digit underdog to the GD Packers.

I made a deal with any deity that might be listening: my soul in exchange for just one Broncos SB victory. No exaggeration. I was completely desperate and willing to do anything to see it happen in my lifetime. Three-ish hours later when the deal was complete, I felt completely exalted (post hangover) and satisfied beyond my wildest expectations.

Until this season, SB 32 has sustained me. The result of SB 33 was an anticlimactic certainty as soon as the NFC championship was decided.. and it came with the bittersweet knowledge that Elway was likely done. The next 14 years of Bronco football were occasionally exciting but usually disappointing. Of course I wanted to witness another Broncos championship, but it wasn't the end of the world to me. Until now. I don't know exactly why, but I have that same mixture of anxious/excited/scared/happy/nausea/destiny in my chest and it's killing me. And since I've already sold my soul, I was hoping I could talk one of you into taking one for the team.
      Wow.

It's almost as if you've been living inside my head! That's exactly how I felt/feel (except for the dorm part and the praying to any/all deities).

I'm with ya! ALL IN!

Comment

I never cried more tears of joy than after Superbowl XXXII. As much as I loved seeing the Broncos in the big game (seemingly) every other year, in the 80s, it was devastating to see the results. Actually, this experience might even be better than the back-to-backs. Watching them win (FINALLY) in orange jerseys will be heaven...

Comment

I'd sell my soul to Bluecifer for a Broncos Super Bowl win....

Comment

I felt the exact same way Broncenstein. I prayed that if the Broncos win I'd never ask for anything Broncos related again. Like you, that victory sustained me. I was in my junior year at CU then, a young guy who grew up on Elway.

This time it even seems more personal, now that Im between Champ and Peyton in age. Just as magical a it always has been.

Comment

Damn... turns out Bluecifer has his own Twitter feed. And it's just as creepy as he is.

https://twitter.com/Nightmare_Horse

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The ritual is nearly complete. Our time has at hand! On a related note: does anyone have a quart of hawk&#39;s blood I can borrow? <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoBroncos&amp;src=hash">#GoBroncos</a></p>&mdash; Bluecifer (@Nightmare_Horse) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nightmare_Horse/statuses/426971159943323648">January 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
              <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
              Last edited by BowlenBall; 01-26-2014, 09:14 AM.

Comment

People forget how much fear was around SB32. After 4 losses, Bronco fans were exhibiting symptoms of abuse victims or with post traumatic stress disorder. Elway 's own mother was upset at the then perceived impending doom. We were so tired of losing Super Bowls. And we didn't just lose, we were uncompetitive.

Now again we were going and we're almost 2 TD underdogs, facing a multiple MVP QB. This was before Manning, so many thought Favre was going to be God's gift to football. The Packers were statistically better than the Broncos in most categories. I remember after the BS non-grounding call, the Packers marched down the field and scored. I was thinking "Here we go again" with another embarrassing loss. But Denver came right back with a response. We led most of the game, but in that final drive I was pulling my hair. John Mobley could become a serial killer and he'd still be my hero. What an ending.

Comment

I was all nerves in SB32. Thank you for your eternal damnation for our victory!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post

So you were selfishly willing to deny future Broncos fans the satisfaction of the same experience for your own benefit?

No worries.

Comment

I already sold my soul for a negative pregnancy test when I was 23 or else I would definitely take this one for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by BowlenBall View Post
                        Damn... turns out Bluecifer has his own Twitter feed. And it's just as creepy as he is.

https://twitter.com/Nightmare_Horse

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The ritual is nearly complete. Our time has at hand! On a related note: does anyone have a quart of hawk's blood I can borrow? <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoBroncos&amp;src=hash">#GoBroncos</a></p>&mdash; Bluecifer (@Nightmare_Horse) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nightmare_Horse/statuses/426971159943323648">January 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
                        <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                        Lololol

Comment

I already sold my soul on SBXXII. "just let us score first and embarrass them from the start" seemed like a good deal at the time. You had to be there...who knew...right?

Comment

Okay I will sell my soul, but will it be enough?

Comment

I recall making some sort of Faustian deal for the GB SB as well haha. I used up all my prayers on our first win over the Chefs and the AFC Championship this year. I'll definitely try again, but who knows how many times you can go to that well. : )

Comment

Working...
                              X