Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DT too fast for Sherman 1 on 1, there i said it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT too fast for Sherman 1 on 1, there i said it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ombardi-trophy

Been thinking about this a lot so i did a search to find out the reported 40 yrd dash times of both players. I know we don't love Bleacher Report but for this it works well.

Sherman is big, strong, great instincts and toughness but isn't fast. He runs a 4.5.

DT is big, strong, great route runner and also very tough. Ummm but he runs a 4.4 maybe even a sub 4.4.

Also DT is a master at getting off the LOS.

My predicition is there is no way the Hawks will try and go man to man on him. If they do Thomas will beat him like a drum IMO and have a big day.

Eric Decker will be wide open in man coverage and so will welker.

Hawks have no choice but to bracket Julious Thomas with Chancellor and a linebacker, roll Thomas to help with DT.

DT is too fast for anyone on the hawks to play man to man all game long. Maybe here and there but no way all game long.

I don't see the Hawks being able to do what they usually do, which is robber cover 1 and drop a safety into the box to stop the run.

Meanwhile our defense will just play its game. Knighton and company will try and clog the middle, the fast linebacker can beat Lynch to the corners and our dbacks will do the best they can in a mix of man to man and zone from our secondary.

They can be gotten to a little but I don't think the Seahags can hang with the Broncos. GOAT at QB, one of the leagues best olines, and IMO the leagues best group of WR/TE.

Talib runs a 4.4 so he matched up better 1-1 vs DT then Sherman does. If anything DT is licking his chops.

Comment

If DT can beat the jam you are right. Sherman is a really smart player though who puts himself in the best possible position all the time. It won't be easy. But yes DT is a mismatch physically for Sherman. He is a mismatch physically for every corner in the league except for Patrick Peterson.

I actually think the Broncos will scheme to get DT on more favorable matchups rather than going at the Seahawks best coverage man straight up. Manning and Gase are too smart for that.
      Last edited by Agamemnon; 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
        Talib runs a 4.4 so he matched up better 1-1 vs DT then Sherman does. If anything DT is licking his chops.
        Sherman is a much better corner than Talib. Don't be stupid.

Comment

Julius Thomas is going to teach SeaChickens what beast mode really is.

Comment

In this article about Seattle's secondary they make a similar comments about Sherman but it's overall very positive about him (as it should be):

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/23/seattle...am-chancellor/

In the 2013 regular season, Sherman was targeted 58 times on 549 defensive snaps, which is a league-low 10.56 percent among qualifying cornerbacks. And he still led the NFL with eight interceptions. In two playoff games, he was targeted twice — yes, two times in two games — with no catches against him. But Sherman is also directly responsible for two more interceptions that he wasn’t specifically credited for — Earl Thomas’ pick in Seattle’s 23-0 win over the New York Giants in Week 15, and Malcolm Smith’s game-ender against the San Francisco 49ers that put the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. In each case, Sherman was the instigator in a tip drill that Seattle’s defense practices quite often.

Sherman has said in the past that it’s his intelligence and not his athleticism that has taken him to the top, and he’s not being disingenuous. He’s got pure track speed in a straight line and he’s extremely technically proficient, but he can be had in zone coverages (which the Seahawks break into when opposing offenses run trips and bunch formations against them), and faster receivers will occasionally torch him. But he makes up for his few liabilities with an inherent understanding of route concepts gleaned from his time as a receiver at Stanford, and his exhaustive tape study habits give him a serious edge when deciphering what an offense is about to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
              Julius Thomas is going to teach SeaChickens what beast mode really is.
              I fully expect OJ and Welker to be the go-to guys in this game. The Seahawks do not have players that can cover them consistently while also trying to take away DT and Decker. I also think our running backs will be a serious factor in the passing game as we manipulate their coverages to give our backs room to run after the catch.
              Last edited by Agamemnon; 01-24-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

But he makes up for his few liabilities with an inherent understanding of route concepts gleaned from his time as a receiver at Stanford, and his exhaustive tape study habits give him a serious edge when deciphering what an offense is about to do.
                Well he can kiss that edge goodbye against Manning.

Comment

As you saw with the INT in the end zone even when he's out of position his long arms make up for sometime being out of position

The Seattle secondary is very long which should help combat the tall Broncos WRs

Depends on the wind conditions and how well Manning is throwing to take advantage of any speed mismatches

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post
                    As you saw with the INT in the end zone even when he's out of position his long arms make up for sometime being out of position

The Seattle secondary is very long which should help combat the tall Broncos WRs

Depends on the wind conditions and how well Manning is throwing to take advantage of any speed mismatches
                    Speed is also an advantage on crossing routes and slants.

Comment

DT and Decker have to be physical and get off the line clean. Then there will be no problem. I also agree that Sherman desn't have the speed to deal with DT but I think is Decker's type of game.

Comment

If he can beat the jam, he can beat Sherman deep. Sherman probably has the best short burst recovery in the league though. PFM can't deliver the ball late.
                        Last edited by razorwire77; 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

no way, Brah. Sherman is goig to eat him alive, Brah. Seattle is a tea of immortals, Brah.

Comment

I just tend to doubt Sherman will always be matched up on DT. Seattle doesn't run a whole lot of man to man, so if they stick to zone, DT could avoid him all together

Comment

I'm not saying Talib better, or that Sherman isn't one of the best in the NFL. I am only saying that when it comes to chasing and keeping up Talib is faster.

I don't think Hawks are even going to try 1 on 1 vs DT. They are going to ditch the Robber coverage because it won't work vs the Broncos. We simply put too much pressure on the safeties with our passing attack.

IMO they will let the Broncos run the ball against a 7 man front.

Comment

Working...
                              X