importance of limiting big plays on D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importance of limiting big plays on D

so looking at the play-by-play from Seattle in the playoffs: each and every drive they had of more than 40 yards was aided by at least a 20 yard play.

vs SF:

first drive was a 40 yarder ending in a punt. This drive featured a 22 yard pass to Doug Baldwin on 3rd and 7, and was aided by a 15 yard roughing the passer call on the next play.

Their next actual drive was a 62 yard drive ending in a FG. This drive featured a 51 yard pass to Baldwin on 2nd and 7.

next was a 60 yard drive, but in reality it was Marshawn Lynch running for 40 yards.

the last sustained drive of the day was a 62 yard drive. The key play here was the 35 yard TD pass to Kearse on 4th and 7.

vs NO:

There were only 2 drives of > 40 yards in this game. Seattle had 20 and 34 yard drives ending in FGs, and a 24 yard TD drive.

Their first legit drive was a 63 yarder ending in a FG. This drive featured a 25 yard pass to Kearse.

the only other time they moved the ball was a 62 yard TD drive, but really this was a 24 yard pass to Baldwin and a 31 yard TD run by lynch.

============
    TL/DR: Seattle has not been able to sustain any drives of 40 yards or more all post-season without the aid of one or more 20+ yard plays.

If Denver can limit the big plays, and if Denver does not give up short field possessions (i.e. turnovers and long returns), Seattle will have a VERY difficult time scoring.

key will be for the secondary to stick with receivers when Wilson scrambles. He always looks downfield and many of their big plays come from him extending plays by his scrambles. He will run for yardage, but mainly tries to run his receivers open. safeties will need to stay behind the receivers on his scrambles.

Comment

By God!

Comment

Jermaine Kearse (who I took in the OM Mock) is one of their underrated threats. It seems that he makes almost one deep catch a game. Averages ~ 16 a catch. We need to make sure he is neutralized.

Comment

Russell Wilson is a slightly better version Tim Tebow right now. A game manger for sure who has regressed the last 8 games or so. He cool under pressure but his accuracy right now leaves alot to be desired.

Keep Lynch in check to about 90 yards

Our D actaully needs to catch the ball Duke and Tony Carter talking to you.

Comment

I would also do whatever it takes to make sure Harvin doesn't have an impact. I don't expect much on O from him, but he's dangerous on S/T.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
              I would also do whatever it takes to make sure Harvin doesn't have an impact. I don't expect much on O from him, but he's dangerous on S/T.
              Don't punt, and Prater will continue to kick it out of the end zone. Harvin problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                I heard Harvin should be be on ST only offense

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post
                  Russell Wilson is a slightly better version Tim Tebow right now. A game manger for sure who has regressed the last 8 games or so. He cool under pressure but his accuracy right now leaves alot to be desired.

Wow, Tebow? Congrats, probably the worst football analysis I've read.

Comment

Seriously. Will we ever force another turnover?

Comment

I know what you're saying but Wilson is a much different QB.

When Wilson scrambles he's still doing the right thing in looking downfield with the ball beside him and he does a very good job of buying time for at least one of his WRs to break off and run deep over the top. Wilson has the accuracy and arm strength to then pass it over the top.

The only time I saw Tebow do this with success was against the Vikings.

Where Wilson really struggles is going through his reads in the pocket because his pass protection sucks and he doesn't see the field well being under 6 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottXray View Post
                        key will be for the secondary to stick with receivers when Wilson scrambles. He always looks downfield and many of their big plays come from him extending plays by his scrambles. He will run for yardage, but mainly tries to run his receivers open. safeties will need to stay behind the receivers on his scrambles.
                        And the Broncos know this, stick with your assignment.. let Wilson pick up 5 or 6 on a scramble. This is where I can see the Broncos make some picks... just stick with your man.

Comment

Russell Wilson is a slightly better version Tim Tebow right now.
                          Dmac said this word for word yesterday. That should let you know the company you share.

Comment

Russell Wilson is a slightly better version Tim Tebow right now...
                            The league's 7th highest rated QB this season is a "slightly better version of Tim Tebow"? I get what you're trying to say, but he's worlds better than Tebow.

Comment

Big plays are a huge part of what Seattle does. They will run Lynch, get you thinking about that and then hit PA on 1st down waiting for a coverage breakdown. The other thing is that the pass play will break down, Russell will buy time with his legs, sprint towards the LOS and heave the ball. He's very Elway'esqe in this regard.

Our teams have locked it down the past two weeks Q1-Q3. In the games that Seattle has lost, teams have jumped on them but don't close at the end. Take New England last year. They threw all over the Seahawks. They were up by 13 pts in the 4th quarter before Wilson got hot and brought them back for the win.

I don't envy JDR's job this week. We're all talking about Denver's O vs. Seattle's D. I think we will get our share of points, their D will make some plays too. The W may come down to our defense vs their offense doing what they've done the past two weeks. The key matchup being our DL vs. their OL. Both sides are beat-up but the winner of this matchup will determine how the game goes. Shut down the run or minimize it and hold up in coverage, and make Wilson rush throws. Try to contain his running ability the best they can. Harvin/Tate/Kearse all have good speed and can run away from defenders. Baldwin is solid too but he'll take a seat with Harvin in the game as they play the same spot. CB's will have to earn their pay this week. DRC/Champ/Carter/Webster need to ball out.

I think Wilson has 25 completions this postseason with 20% of those going longer than 20+ Yds. Have to limit this and keep him from getting in a rhythm.

Comment

Working...
                              X