Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seattle Pass D Overrated?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seattle Pass D Overrated?

    So I noticed Seattle played some horrible passing teams this year and wondered what kind of effect Seattle had on those teams having poor years (especially division play). So I put together a spreadsheet that shows opponents Yards Per Game Average Overall compared to their Yards Per Game EXCLUDING their game(s) against Seattle. As you can see in the spreadsheet, there is little difference in their performance whether it's against Seattle or the rest of the league.

    I'm starting to think Seattle should be happy the game is outside...

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing

  • #2
    Good work but the thing misleading about this is situational variables. If Seattle goes up by a lot of points, the offense is going to throw more. And in those scenarios, Seattle might loosen up its defense somewhat.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TripleTilde View Post
      Good work but the thing misleading about this is situational variables. If Seattle goes up by a lot of points, the offense is going to throw more. And in those scenarios, Seattle might loosen up its defense somewhat.
      You mean like all of the last four Bronco games?

      Comment


      • #4




        ?
        Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 01-05-2016, 11:29 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
          You mean like all of the last four Bronco games?
          Very much like that. If the data was easier to capture, it would almost make more sense to focus on stats through the first three qtrs in all games.

          Another issue is that Seattle didn't play a lot of passing QBs. Denver's pass defense stats took a hit because they played a lot of QBs who were good passers and also because in everyone of those games, the opposing team either were behind a lot or they anticipated that it would take a lot of points to win.

          Comment


          • #6
            Ya I didn't enough time to to go look at performances by quarter or look at other circumstances. Maybe this weekend I'll look deeper into it.


            However I think one point still stands, Seattle wasn't really tested by many legitimate passing teams this year.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TripleTilde View Post
              Very much like that. If the data was easier to capture, it would almost make more sense to focus on stats through the first three qtrs in all games.

              Another issue is that Seattle didn't play a lot of passing QBs. Denver's pass defense stats took a hit because they played a lot of QBs who were good passers and also because in everyone of those games, the opposing team either were behind a lot or they anticipated that it would take a lot of points to win.
              The first counter is always going to be Brees and the Saints...(whom the seachickens played at home, twice).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dictionary View Post
                The first counter is always going to be Brees and the Saints...(whom the seachickens played at home, twice).
                I know. But who after that?

                Denver had Flacco, Romo, Rivers, Brady, Rivers. And then there were some games when they gave up yards to other guys when they were well ahead.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TripleTilde View Post
                  Good work but the thing misleading about this is situational variables. If Seattle goes up by a lot of points, the offense is going to throw more. And in those scenarios, Seattle might loosen up its defense somewhat.
                  That doesn't matter because the measuring stick is the same on each one. It's very interesting.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great post.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
                      That doesn't matter because the measuring stick is the same on each one. It's very interesting.
                      It does matter. If, say, through 3 quarters, Seattle has only given up 150 passing yards but they're up by 24 points, they may call the game differently and give up 100+ yards because of it. So in that scenario, if not for the score, it's possibly/probably a 200 yard passing day instead of 250+. Some teams are in this scenario more than others and it can affect stat comparisons.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Whoah dude. Nice post.

                        So basically playing against Seattle vaunted pass Defense has not affected any teams average passing output at all.

                        I'd also mention that Manning dropped 163 yards in 1.5 quarters against them in the preseason, and Drew Brees dropped nearly 300 on them in the 2nd half, in a downpour, wearing a glove for the first time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                          Whoah dude. Nice post.

                          So basically playing against Seattle vaunted pass Defense has not affected any teams average passing output at all.

                          I'd also mention that Manning dropped 163 yards in 1.5 quarters against them in the preseason, and Drew Brees dropped nearly 300 on them in the 2nd half, in a downpour, wearing a glove for the first time.
                          That is kind of what it looks like at first glance. But like other people have brought up, things like score effect could be in play too. I think I will look into situational stats of each QB since I can't find team passing stats broken down by quarter (anyone know where I can find this?).

                          I'll put it up this weekend hopefully.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TripleTilde View Post
                            It does matter. If, say, through 3 quarters, Seattle has only given up 150 passing yards but they're up by 24 points, they may call the game differently and give up 100+ yards because of it. So in that scenario, if not for the score, it's possibly/probably a 200 yard passing day instead of 250+. Some teams are in this scenario more than others and it can affect stat comparisons.
                            No it doesn't matter...it happens to everyone. It's relative. When doing a comparision they only thing you need to do is use the same measuring stick. We aren't studying causation here....we're doing a comparison.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think you're on point in some respects. Passing teams have done it against Seattle. Namely Houstin this year, Indy, NO during the playoff game, Atlanta and New England last year. Those are just some off the top of my head.

                              New England dominated Seattle last year. They ran 85 plays, Brady threw for 400 yds, and they found yards on both sides of the field. They were winning by two possessions in the 2nd half. Same thing with Atlanta.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X