Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiders Being Sued

By their own cheerleaders

Oakland Raiders reportedly sued by own cheerleading squad Andy Nesbitt FOX SportsJAN 22, 2014 8:45p ET

You remember the Oakland Raiders, right?

It's been a while since we've heard about the AFC West team because, well, we rarely talk about the Raiders during the playoffs.

They're finally back in the news but it's not for a good reason. The team has reportedly been sued by its own cheerleading squad.

The heart of the suit is that the cheerleaders are upset about being paid what amounts to be $5 an hour.

The San Jose Mercury News has the details:

The suit, filed in Alameda County Superior Court on behalf of current and former Raiderettes, claims that the NFL team engaged in wage theft and other unfair employment practices. Specifically, the suit charges that the team withholds all pay from the Raiderettes until after the season is completed, does not pay for all hours worked and forces the cheerleaders to pay many of their own business expenses.

"It's as if the Raiders' owners believe that the laws that protect all workers in California just don't apply to them," attorney Sharon Vinick said.

According to Vinick, the Raiders cheerleaders are contracted for an annual salary of $1,250, which amounts to an hourly wage of less than $5 per hour. The lawsuit also claims that the Raiderettes incur other costs, including fines levied for infractions such as bringing the wrong pom-poms to practice, wearing the wrong workout clothing to rehearsals, failing to bring a yoga mat to practice, or not turning in written biographies on time.

The Raiders declined to comment on the situation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...g-squad-012214

Originally posted by gunns View Post
    According to Vinick, the Raiders cheerleaders are contracted for an annual salary of $1,250, which amounts to an hourly wage of less than $5 per hour.

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...g-squad-012214

Jesus. Listen, I know we like to rag on all aspects of the Raiders organization. But pro cheer leaders are effectively models for hire. If that number is accurate, I have no Idea 1. how the Raiders got away with it 2. How they managed to attract any Cheerleader to work for them. Seriously, in SoCal, they could make that much money a week waiting tables.

Comment

I've heard that cheerleaders across the NFL, and in the NBA, hardly get paid anything. The job leads to other opportunities in modeling...and, yeah, , but I've always heard that they don't get paid much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason in LA View Post
        I've heard that cheerleaders across the NFL, and in the NBA, hardly get paid anything. The job leads to other opportunities in modeling...and, yeah, , but I've always heard that they don't get paid much.
        Meeting and/or marrying players.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason in LA View Post
          Cheerleadears/dancers do not get paid much. They are suppose to find their John Elway.

Comment

Saw this on the NFL Network ticker this morning and just had to laugh. Despite the poor wages they sure do attract some pretty ladies.

Look at the beloved Renee Herlocker though; she's, what I would assume to be, semi-successful. She hosted the Nathan's Hot Dog Championship for crying out loud! Seriously though, I googled her and went to instagram for the first time ever. She seems to be doing well for herself. http://instagram.com/reneeherlocker

Comment

Our very own Michelle Beisner seems to have done well for herself after being a cheerleader.

Comment

Wasn't Jason Elam married to a Broncos cheerleader?

Comment

elway married a Raider cheerleader. I think it was a rescue mission.

Comment

Wow, I know they don't get paid much but that is criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by hades View Post
                      Our very own Michelle Beisner seems to have done well for herself after being a cheerleader.
                      Lauren Gardner is also carving out a nice path for herself at CBS Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco militia View Post
                        elway married a Raider cheerleader. I think it was a rescue mission.
                        Obviously, Elway will marry a peasant girl or welfare hooch.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Habit View Post
                          Lauren Gardner is also carving out a nice path for herself at CBS Sports.
                          Lauren Gardner is my favorite Bronco cheerleader of all time.

Comment

First, Lauren Gardner is pretty hot.

Second, Cheerleading is a very part time job, so while that wage is low, most of them are students or doing other jobs while they do this.

Comment

and Kollette Klassen is Kollette Plummer now!

Comment

Working...
                              X