Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Seattles Defense works

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How Seattles Defense works

    good article and diagrams of their cover-3.

    How do you guys see Manning exploiting this?

  • #2
    Originally posted by mwill07 View Post
    good article and diagrams of their cover-3.

    How do you guys see Manning exploiting this?

    Off the top of my head, DT runs a deep post dragging the DB and the Safety down the field. He doesn't have to beat the DB, just get inside enough to force the Safety to honor the play over the top. Decker runs a quick out pattern to draw his defensive back to the side line and Welker and Julius run rub routes across the middle of the field. If the O-line can hold JT and Wes Welker can kill them underneath. And if they start cheating the safeties in to help, Decker or D Thomas will have single man on the outside. In the rare events that the Seattle secondary can maintain coverage on all four, Manning can dump off in the flat to Moreno who will probably have plenty of running room to pick up extra yards.

    Comment


    • #3
      They are going to run a lot of cover 1 & cover 3 with Earl Thomas being the single high safety over the top. Generally a team that motions or moves the tight end/HB around a lot can sniff this out because generally if it's cover 1, and the TE moves, he's got a backer covering him and will have to go with him. Expect to see Manning motioning a lot to pre-diagnose what coverage Seattle is in.

      Cover 3 is a good deep ball defense as you always have 3 deep and guys underneath. They bring the SS up (Cam Chancellor) which allows him to be the force in run plays on the strong side and it leaves the will to having leverage on the back side. Seattle won't give up the big play in the pass game and they will force you to play underneath and throw into coverages which will vary. Seattle's theory is they have speed and great coverage ability on the back end. They have stout defensive linemen and fast flowing LB's. You won't be able to finish a 10-12 play drive against them and then they'll bait you when you do get single coverage in the cover 1 to take your shot down field. Obviously a guy like Richard Sherman helps them do this.

      To beat the coverage, you can run verticals. That's what Houston did and hit Owen Daniels down the seam for a 30 yd td. The CB's will be locked up with their guys and the FS will have to make a decision on whom to cover. The TE or WR will have to beat the back side coverage. You can also run dig routes which Julius Thomas ran on one of the big 3rd down conversions against San Diego. He pressed up the field, came back right in between the zone. Curls will be open as well. Since Denver will be in ACE/3 Wide a bunch, they are going to force the will or the SS into immediate coverage responsibility, which we will come back with audibles to run plays against the weak side where we can get man on man run blocking. Knowshon and Ball will need to to break some tackles. (I have a feeling Ball is going to have a big game for some reason.)

      Cover 1 will get tricky. It will look the same but guys will man up and they can bring an extra blitzed or two. As mentioned, Manning will figure this out by using the motion. Cover 1 is tricky because it will leave Seattle open to everybody's favorite rub plays underneath, play action passes and out routes. Plus it will highlight Cam Chancellor and the LBs in coverage against Knowshon and Thomas.
      Last edited by bpc; 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Seattles base defense is a dream matchup in a lot of ways. Their scheme gives a lot of things that the Broncos do extremely well.

        The scheme more or less gives you those short passes over the middle, with the idea that their secondary can contain them for short gains. They stack the box and play physical ball at the line of scrimmage. Which we have seen a lot this year.

        Unfortunately for Seattle, this plays to our strengths. The rub routes are going to be very effective as we can take advantage of the mass of Seahawks in the middle of the field. Manning loves to run wheel routes around press coverage, and the base scheme doesn't leave much protection for the defenders when that happens. If they don't get a good jam, look out for BIG gains.

        I think J. Thomas will be the key here. He's a big body receiver who can work all areas of the field. His ability to not only make plays over the middle, but work the sideline makes him a matchup nightmare for this scheme as he will create real issues for their middle zone.

        So that is the key. We will attack at the intermediate depth across the field. In other words: do exactly what we've been doing all season.

        Take a look at the play that ended the NFC Championship game:



        This is a very typical play for the Seahawks. Notice #11 for the 49ers. On this play Manning gives him that ball 100% of the time. This is precisely the type of coverage that you get from the Seahawks when you've moved them off their mark. They'll start to leave the underneath open, and the Broncos WILL make them pay.

        This is why the weather, unfortunately, is the determining factor in this Superbowl. If it's windy or snowing, it's going to be much more difficult to attack this defense.

        Comment


        • #5
          i see a big time dink and dunk offense all game long. quick pass plays into the middle of the field and screens that pick up 6-8 yards per play.

          it has been awhile since we have used our screen game with any regularity. i'd expect a return of that formation.

          Moreno will probably wind up with at least 7 receptions out of the backfield. Manning picks them apart short all game long until Thomas and Chancellor start cheating up into the box and then JT gashes them up the seam for big gains. DT burns Sherman deep with no Safety help over the top. Long sustained drives is what i would predict.
          Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 01-22-2014, 03:04 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by enjolras View Post
            Seattles base defense is a dream matchup in a lot of ways. Their scheme gives a lot of things that the Broncos do extremely well.

            The scheme more or less gives you those short passes over the middle, with the idea that their secondary can contain them for short gains. They stack the box and play physical ball at the line of scrimmage. Which we have seen a lot this year.

            Unfortunately for Seattle, this plays to our strengths. The rub routes are going to be very effective as we can take advantage of the mass of Seahawks in the middle of the field. Manning loves to run wheel routes around press coverage, and the base scheme doesn't leave much protection for the defenders when that happens. If they don't get a good jam, look out for BIG gains.

            I think J. Thomas will be the key here. He's a big body receiver who can work all areas of the field. His ability to not only make plays over the middle, but work the sideline makes him a matchup nightmare for this scheme as he will create real issues for their middle zone.

            So that is the key. We will attack at the intermediate depth across the field. In other words: do exactly what we've been doing all season.

            Take a look at the play that ended the NFC Championship game:



            This is a very typical play for the Seahawks. Notice #11 for the 49ers. On this play Manning gives him that ball 100% of the time. This is precisely the type of coverage that you get from the Seahawks when you've moved them off their mark. They'll start to leave the underneath open, and the Broncos WILL make them pay.

            This is why the weather, unfortunately, is the determining factor in this Superbowl. If it's windy or snowing, it's going to be much more difficult to attack this defense.
            Holy **** 11 is laughably wide open. Kaepernick is terrible.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by enjolras View Post
              Seattles base defense is a dream matchup in a lot of ways. Their scheme gives a lot of things that the Broncos do extremely well.

              The scheme more or less gives you those short passes over the middle, with the idea that their secondary can contain them for short gains. They stack the box and play physical ball at the line of scrimmage. Which we have seen a lot this year.

              Unfortunately for Seattle, this plays to our strengths. The rub routes are going to be very effective as we can take advantage of the mass of Seahawks in the middle of the field. Manning loves to run wheel routes around press coverage, and the base scheme doesn't leave much protection for the defenders when that happens. If they don't get a good jam, look out for BIG gains.

              I think J. Thomas will be the key here. He's a big body receiver who can work all areas of the field. His ability to not only make plays over the middle, but work the sideline makes him a matchup nightmare for this scheme as he will create real issues for their middle zone.

              So that is the key. We will attack at the intermediate depth across the field. In other words: do exactly what we've been doing all season.

              Take a look at the play that ended the NFC Championship game:



              This is a very typical play for the Seahawks. Notice #11 for the 49ers. On this play Manning gives him that ball 100% of the time. This is precisely the type of coverage that you get from the Seahawks when you've moved them off their mark. They'll start to leave the underneath open, and the Broncos WILL make them pay.

              This is why the weather, unfortunately, is the determining factor in this Superbowl. If it's windy or snowing, it's going to be much more difficult to attack this defense.
              Flood passing plays work great against the cover 3. Look how open #11 & even Vernon Davis is on that play. 49ers had 26 seconds and 2 timeouts. Manning would kill on that play, probably get us around the 1st down marker if not getting it and would have 22 seconds and a timeout to work with. Scary. This defense can be had and if there is somebody who can prepare to dismantle it, it's PFM.
              Last edited by bpc; 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by enjolras View Post
                This is a very typical play for the Seahawks. Notice #11 for the 49ers. On this play Manning gives him that ball 100% of the time. This is precisely the type of coverage that you get from the Seahawks when you've moved them off their mark.
                Nice analysis! I just had one comment about the quoted section - We know Kaepernick. It is uncommon for him to get past his first read, rare for him to get past his second, and extremely rare to get past his third, so you get a huge jump on the ball by watching his eyes. It is his biggest weakness as a QB, and makes our secondary look even better against him than they look against other QBs because our secondary plays several ball-hawking zone schemes very well.

                We will not have that luxury against Manning, who may be the best ever at spreading the ball out. #53, the guy who ultimately caught the interception in that GIF, will be in a better position to make a play on #11. If you watch #53 at the beginning of the play he is playing Kaepernick's eyes the whole time.

                tldr; Kaepernick stinks in the passing game. Our respect for Manning will cause us to play that scenario differently.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The sad part of that Kaep INT was, if he had lofted the ball to the back of the end zone instead of under throwing it, it's probably still a TD. Great play by Sherman but Crabtree was open.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jdblack View Post
                    Nice analysis! I just had one comment about the quoted section - We know Kaepernick. It is uncommon for him to get past his first read, rare for him to get past his second, and extremely rare to get past his third, so you get a huge jump on the ball by watching his eyes. It is his biggest weakness as a QB, and makes our secondary look even better against him than they look against other QBs because our secondary plays several ball-hawking zone schemes very well.

                    We will not have that luxury against Manning, who may be the best ever at spreading the ball out. #53, the guy who ultimately caught the interception in that GIF, will be in a better position to make a play on #11. If you watch #53 at the beginning of the play he is playing Kaepernick's eyes the whole time.

                    tldr; Kaepernick stinks in the passing game. Our respect for Manning will cause us to play that scenario differently.
                    You're probably right. Kaep is not good. However, to use that same GIF and say that #53 will be in a better position to make a play on #11 seems strange since they're opposite sides of the field from each other.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bpc View Post
                      The sad part of that Kaep INT was, if he had lofted the ball to the back of the end zone instead of under throwing it, it's probably still a TD. Great play by Sherman but Crabtree was open.
                      The first rule on a play like that is to overthrow before underthowing it. You must put the ball where your man and only your man has any kind of shot at it. So first he misses the guy that could've gotten an easy 7-10 yards and likely got out of bounds, and then violates the first rule of throwing a deep corner route in the endzone. It's hilarious how much the guy has been hyped up when he is only slightly better than Tebow as a passer.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Loving this thread, keep it up fellas!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I told that Seahawks troll this yesterday

                          Originally posted by CEH View Post
                          Hawks aren't playing Colin " one read and run" Kapernick.
                          Go back and look at that last play Patton was running free and Kap goes endzone for an INT.
                          Manning will find the open guy

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jdblack View Post
                            Nice analysis! I just had one comment about the quoted section - We know Kaepernick. It is uncommon for him to get past his first read, rare for him to get past his second, and extremely rare to get past his third, so you get a huge jump on the ball by watching his eyes. It is his biggest weakness as a QB, and makes our secondary look even better against him than they look against other QBs because our secondary plays several ball-hawking zone schemes very well.

                            We will not have that luxury against Manning, who may be the best ever at spreading the ball out. #53, the guy who ultimately caught the interception in that GIF, will be in a better position to make a play on #11. If you watch #53 at the beginning of the play he is playing Kaepernick's eyes the whole time.

                            tldr; Kaepernick stinks in the passing game. Our respect for Manning will cause us to play that scenario differently.
                            Good post. I assume you agree that you must get consistent pressure on Manning to stop our offense? Otherwise, no matter what coverages you use he will find an open receiver pretty much every time. Where Kap rarely gets past his first read, Manning consistently sees all 4 or 5 of his options unless hurried.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Don't count our our screen game against the Seahags. Both Thomas's have explosive speed and our WR's are great downfield blockers. Both of our RB's are great at running screens as well.

                              I expect to see a lot more play action and expect them to move the pocket for Manning a couple times in the game to keep the D guessing just like they have in each of the playoff games.

                              I expect a couple big plays coming down the seam, I bet even Tamme gets in on that action.

                              Our OL has stepped it up to another level in the playoffs. I would like to see if they can get some of those quick pitches to the outside run to get outside to keep them guessing. Our run plays haven't been very exotic but having some outside runs should loosen up the middle of the field.

                              I just want our D to play at or above the level they have been so far in the playoffs. If they can do that Manning will take what Seahags give him and do enough to win.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X