Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodell Continues to Tinker... Playoffs on Fri & Mon. Eliminate extra points...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess Who
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
    That's just because of the concentration of drive starts at the 20. Drives outside of that are likely to average much further downfield than the 25.

I think the argument that it may change kickoff strategies is legit. But the actual 5 yards over an 80 yard (or 75 yard) drive isn't going to be all that significant.
    They were saying there is a 5% increased chance of scoring from starting on the 25 as opposed to the 20. That is a pretty good increase for teams that score a lot. Hopefully McManus can angle kick to the goal line and force them to return the ball.

Leave a comment:

• DENVERDUI55
    replied
    The touchback at th 25 could just increase returns in my opinion. Teams will try and kick high kicks to land within the 5 and go for the pin back. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Rohirrim
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Coyote View Post
    Ooo OOO OOO!!!
    This! This!

Is this the owner's meeting?

Leave a comment:

• BroncoBeavis
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueRacer View Post
    The touchback rule is huge for explosive offense teams like the Packers, Pats, Panthers, etc. To start at the 25 is a huge boost to start a drive. I don't have the percentages but drives that end in a score from inside the 20 versus outside of the 20 are pretty significant.
    That's just because of the concentration of drive starts at the 20. Drives outside of that are likely to average much further downfield than the 25.

I think the argument that it may change kickoff strategies is legit. But the actual 5 yards over an 80 yard (or 75 yard) drive isn't going to be all that significant.

Leave a comment:

• BlueRacer
    replied
    The touchback rule is huge for explosive offense teams like the Packers, Pats, Panthers, etc. To start at the 25 is a huge boost to start a drive. I don't have the percentages but drives that end in a score from inside the 20 versus outside of the 20 are pretty significant.

Leave a comment:

• razorwire77
    replied
    Originally posted by DBroncos4life View Post
    So the touchback is going to the 25 eh? Denver is now a 35 yards away from being in scoring position at home.
    This is going to backfire. A lot of teams are going to instruct their kickers to kick-off high and a yard or two into the endzone. If anything more players are going to bring it out.

The only thing saving the kickoff from Uncle Roger at this point is the onside kick and the fact that they can milk another commercial spot when teams change possessions after a kickoff.

Leave a comment:

• Old Coyote
    replied
    Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
    It's like giving a bunch of monkeys a typewriter.
    Ooo OOO OOO!!!
    This! This!

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rohirrim
    replied
    It's like giving a bunch of monkeys a typewriter.

Leave a comment:

• Arkie
    replied
    Originally posted by chanesaw View Post
    The extra point thing is a ploy to draw attention away from the unpopular 14 team playoff money grab.
    No way they take away the extra point. Too much opportunity for commercial breaks before and after the stupid play.

Leave a comment:

• UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
    replied
    Originally posted by Taco John View Post
    NFL looking at possibility of playoff games on Friday and Monday
    • NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said earlier this month that expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams is something that the league has 'under serious consideration.'
    • When asked by NFL Network host Rich Eisen if the expansion format would mean 14 teams in the playoffs, instead of 12, Goodell said 'That's correct.'
    • Six games on Wild-Card Weekend could mean Friday and Monday playoff games, according to Goodell.
    • Goodell also said on Monday that the NFL is exploring the possibility of eliminating extra points.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...day-and-monday
    <iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QqVt4tAWKiA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leave a comment:

• DBroncos4life
    replied
    So the touchback is going to the 25 eh? Denver is now a 35 yards away from being in scoring position at home.

Leave a comment:

• footstepsfrom#27
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
    You really haven't changed from the hysterical blowhard you were before your absence, huh?

Are you so naive that you truly believe if Goodell was gone that anything would change? That the owners wouldn't just replace him with another bot to do their bidding? You're buying into their plan, which is make him the focal point of the negative things the league has to do - it redirects from the owners.

Keep up the hysterics, Footsteps. It's who you are!
    To bad for you I never said Goodell was personally responsible for rule changes, though I notice plenty of your boyfriends on this thread did just that, including some of the same little clowns busting my chops for it on the other thread. To bad for you I linked on the other thread to a specific post months ago where I specifically noted the Competition Committee was responsible for rule changes.

Didn't they teach reading at Mormon school?

Leave a comment:

• Kaylore
    replied
    Originally posted by errand View Post
    You guys do realize that the NFL competition committee is responsible for rule changes, after they review and discuss feedback from every NFL team. The only thing Roger Goodell does is select who is on the committee
    Prepare for Foosteps to vomit all over you.

Leave a comment:

• errand
    replied
    You guys do realize that the NFL competition committee is responsible for rule changes, after they review and discuss feedback from every NFL team. The only thing Roger Goodell does is select who is on the committee

Leave a comment:

• broncosteven
    replied
    Originally posted by Taco John View Post
    I agree. I love the two point dynamic. It was so great when Tom Brady knew he needed two points, and watching his face when they missed it was priceless. Why get rid of that?
    Because the Pats introduced the longer PAT and it burned them. Now suddenly the NFL wants to pull PAT's all together.

I watched NFL Insiders today and they said now that the NFL has moved the spot of the ball to the 25 on touchbacks teams will try to kick the ball high and short to get hang time and kick it around the 10 in order to allow gunners to get down and blow the returner up before he can setup a return.

Unintended consequences.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X