Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodell Continues to Tinker... Playoffs on Fri & Mon. Eliminate extra points...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad. By hell or high water , they are going to squeeze more money out of this product regardless to whether it waters the game down or not.

Comment

I actually like the two extra playoff teams. It means only the top team gets the bye week.

Comment

Originally posted by Taco John View Post
        Ad as far as adding more playoff spots, it's stupid. Who wants to see 8-8 teams make the playoffs?
        They already do many years. It'll just become much more common. Hell, we will start seeing 7-9 teams in the playoffs if they do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1983 View Post
          I don't agree with getting rid of extra points... Go for one or go for two... Block the EP and win the game.. Thus game is sweet and they need to leave it alone
          How often does a team win a game because of a blocked extra point? Ah, like, never. lol

Comment

Never mind the point above. I just saw that they would go from 12 to 14 teams. If they are adding teams, which I'm against, they should just go to 16. But that is too many. 14 is too many. 12 is just fine.

Comment

I am with him on adding two teams to the field, but that is it. Sucks when you are 10-6 or 11-5 and dont get in, while some sad sack division winner does. Arizona beat Seattle in Seattle, and should have had a better shot at the post season than seeing another team with the same record have to get beat by Tampa on the last week to get in. Same thing when we went 11-5 (Browns won their division at 8-8 that year), 11-5 Pats, with 32 teams that will happen more often than not. 18 teams still stay home. But play on Sunday.

Also, FFS, keep the extra point the way it is. Sure it's nearly irrelevant, but if you must tinker then move it to the 10 or 15 for field goal tries and keep the 2 pt try the same distance then. Seen too many games decided by an extra point miss. Saints against Jags (after all the laterals), Us against Jags (whats with Jax?), Cowboys vs Seahawks...Why mess that up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason in LA
                Wouldn't it mean that no team gets a bye? Are they adding two teams total, or two teams to each conference?
                No, it would mean each conference would have three games the first week with the top seed getting a bye.

Comment

Bill Belichick was the 1st to suggest this publicly years ago.

Extra point is really a pointless play.

When was the last time one was missed?

Comment

Originally posted by Action View Post
                    Bill Belichick was the 1st to suggest this publicly years ago.

Extra point is really a pointless play.

When was the last time one was missed?
                    There are a few missed every season.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                      If they want to make extra points more interesting and make 2 point conversions more common, just move the extra point attempt back to the 25 or 30 yard line.
                      I have thought they should consider something like this for several years now. The extra point attempt is so automatic it is by far the most boring part of the game other than the coin flip.

I don't know about moving it back as far as the 25 or 30, but they should try moving back 10 yards or so now, and see if that has any affect or drama at all. If not, then they can move it back more later on if they want to.

This change would be a good compromise to the idea of just eliminating it.

Comment

The stat that I heard this morning was that five extra points were missed this season, and out of the kickers who missed, none missed twice. The league averaged 99.6 percent on extra points.

Comment

Originally posted by R8R H8R View Post
                          I have thought they should consider something like this for several years now. The extra point attempt is so automatic it is by far the most boring part of the game other than the coin flip.

I don't know about moving it back as far as the 25 or 30, but they should try moving back 10 yards or so now, and see if that has any affect or drama at all. If not, then they can move it back more later on if they want to.

This change would be a good compromise to the idea of just eliminating it.
                          With the accuracy of kickers today anything shorter is nearly as automatic as extra points.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                            There are a few missed every season.
                            The PAT success rate is about 98-99% per season depending on the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                              If they want to make extra points more interesting and make 2 point conversions more common, just move the extra point attempt back to the 25 or 30 yard line.
                              Correct me if im wrong, but the issue with moving the kick back is now if you wish to go for two you have to run up the ref and and notify him so he can spot the ball correctly on the 3. This seems very odd to me. Now, if they wanted to kick the PAT from the 20 yd line and allow teams 2 plays to get 2 pts from there, that seems kind of cool.

I personally think the goal posts should be narrowed. FG's and PAt's are both way too easy.

Comment

I'm okay with the proposed PAT rule, so long as they retain the option of going for two.

I'm not crazy about the idea of expanding the number of playoff teams. Like Jason said, if it's not broke, why fix it? Under the current format, we had plenty of drama going down to the final week of the regular season.

If something needs to be fixed, it's the situation like we saw with the Chiefs this year, where they were "locked" into a playoff slot and had absolutely no motivation to win after the lock was in place.

Comment

Working...
                                X