Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seattle's Pass Defense

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seattle's Pass Defense

    So are these guys really as good as people say? Just look at the list of QBs they have faced so far this year:

    Cam Newton
    Colin Kaepernick
    Chad Henne
    Matt Schaub
    Andrew Luck
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Carson Palmer
    Kellen Clemens
    Mike Glennon
    Matt Ryan
    Christian Ponder
    Drew Brees
    Colin Kaepernick
    Eli Manning
    Carson Palmer
    Kellen Clemens
    Drew Brees
    Colin Kaepernick

    Kind of puts their #1 ranked pass defense in a different light doesn't it? The only truly elite QB I see on there is Drew Brees and they got to face him twice at home where they are much better while he and the Saints are much worse on the road (Andrew Luck has elite talent, but he isn't actually elite yet). Not to discount that they are indeed good, but seriously does that list not make you think they might have a rather inflated sense of how good they really are? Does that list indicate that they are ready to take on Peyton ****ing Manning? I think they are in for a rude awakening to be honest.

  • #2
    Don't kid yourself. Seattle probably has the best D in the league. It is gonna be a tough game. Having said that we have an historically good offense and I take our D they way they have been playing against a so-so offense.

    I like our chances.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
      Don't kid yourself. Seattle probably has the best D in the league. It is gonna be a tough game. Having said that we have an historically good offense and I take our D they way they have been playing against a so-so offense.

      I like our chances.
      I'm not kidding myself, and I already said their pass defense is good, but come on, look at that list and tell me their stats aren't a bit skewed by the fact that 80% of their games were against QBs who frankly kind of suck as passers. I mean Drew Brees threw for over 300 against them in driving rain in their stadium, and it was obvious to everyone watching he was greatly diminished by the weather.

      Comment


      • #4
        In the playoffs the Broncos defense has gone up against the #2 and #6 offenses by pts/drive and given up 17 and 16.

        Seattle has faced #3 and #12, giving up 15 and 17. The two teams' defenses are not playing that differently right now.

        I'd actually take our run D and corners over Seattle's. They definitely have the better safeties and probably a better pass rush. A pass rush can be neutralized by Manning, though, and their aggressive man coverage could be exploited by our "rub" routes. So the refs letting them play could help Denver's receivers just as much.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
          In the playoffs the Broncos defense has gone up against the #2 and #6 offenses by pts/drive and given up 17 and 16.

          Seattle has faced #3 and #12, giving up 15 and 17. The two teams' defenses are not playing that differently right now.

          I'd actually take our run D and corners over Seattle's. They definitely have the better safeties and probably a better pass rush. A pass rush can be neutralized by Manning, though, and their aggressive man coverage could be exploited by our "rub" routes. So the refs letting them play could help Denver's receivers just as much.
          It's not just Manning that is likely to neutralize their pass rush. Our o-line is absolutely dominant in pass protection right now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
            I'm not kidding myself, and I already said their pass defense is good, but come on, look at that list and tell me their stats aren't a bit skewed by the fact that 80% of their games were against QBs who frankly kind of suck as passers. I mean Drew Brees threw for over 300 against them in driving rain in their stadium, and it was obvious to everyone watching he was greatly diminished by the weather.
            Luck put up points on them as well. Their defense is great but nowhere near historic. Denver's offense is as historic as it gets. Pittsburgh's defense in 2011 was about as good as this Seattle D and Tebow scorched them (although Lebeau kind of blew that one).

            Comment


            • #7
              I was just thinking that.

              Also, Sherman hasn't covered a legit receiver all year.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                It's not just Manning that is likely to neutralize their pass rush. Our o-line is absolutely dominant in pass protection right now.
                Seriously. One hurry today, and I believe just one hold (on a pass play) that was actually a bad call.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Doggcow View Post
                  I was just thinking that.

                  Also, Sherman hasn't covered a legit receiver all year.

                  Got to agree, this whole Seattle dominant defense smells very similar to what the Chief fans and the media were shoveling the first nine games.....................

                  Dominant against who ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Doggcow View Post
                    I was just thinking that.

                    Also, Sherman hasn't covered a legit receiver all year.
                    I don't really think that's true. If you actually mean elite receiver you are mostly right, though Larry Fitzgerald comes to mind as an exception. Then again Fitzgerald kind of seems to be on the decline.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                      I don't really think that's true. If you actually mean elite receiver you are mostly right, though Larry Fitzgerald comes to mind as an exception. Then again Fitzgerald kind of seems to be on the decline.
                      Larry is still good but doesn't have a functional offense around him.

                      They didn't even have to play vs Wayne.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jetmeck View Post
                        Got to agree, this whole Seattle dominant defense smells very similar to what the Chief fans and the media were shoveling the first nine games.....................

                        Dominant against who ?
                        Well, their defense is probably still the best in the league but they aren't the best since the '02 Bucs or anything like that. And playing SF, St. Louis, and Arizona 6 times didn't hurt their numbers either.

                        The Broncos in the regular season were the most dominant overall team since the '07 Patriots. Let's hope it doesn't end the same way, and I doubt it will.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Don't get me wrong. We are the better team. But on your list the following are pretty decent QBs:

                          Cam Newton
                          Colin Kaepernick X 2
                          Andrew Luck
                          Drew Brees X 2
                          Eli Manning

                          That is 7 games against at least decent QBs. I am not sure our QB list is any harder tbh.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                            So are these guys really as good as people say? Just look at the list of QBs they have faced so far this year:

                            Cam Newton
                            Colin Kaepernick
                            Chad Henne
                            Matt Schaub
                            Andrew Luck
                            Ryan Fitzpatrick
                            Carson Palmer
                            Kellen Clemens
                            Mike Glennon
                            Matt Ryan
                            Christian Ponder
                            Drew Brees
                            Colin Kaepernick
                            Eli Manning
                            Carson Palmer
                            Kellen Clemens
                            Drew Brees
                            Colin Kaepernick

                            Kind of puts their #1 ranked pass defense in a different light doesn't it? The only truly elite QB I see on there is Drew Brees and they got to face him twice at home where they are much better while he and the Saints are much worse on the road (Andrew Luck has elite talent, but he isn't actually elite yet). Not to discount that they are indeed good, but seriously does that list not make you think they might have a rather inflated sense of how good they really are? Does that list indicate that they are ready to take on Peyton ****ing Manning? I think they are in for a rude awakening to be honest.
                            Great post, if it is not windy, Manning is going to eat them up!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thank you for bringing this up. They are definitely a solid group, but look at their division... Kaep who is an awful throwing QB... Carson Palmer who is past his prime and a turnover machine (Sherman had two of his INT's vs. him in week 15, Hawks still lost...), and Kellen Clemens played Seattle twice this year.

                              Seattle hasn't really been tested by a good offense except vs. Indy (Loss), Houston (won in OT after Schaub threw a pass right to Sherman during his 4 straight games of throwing a pick 6), and New Orleans. They beat up on NO pretty good but both games were at Seattle in tough conditions and bad weather favoring the defense. Andre Johnson and Marquis Colston both logged very nice days vs. the Seahawks secondary.

                              Everybody keeps bringing up their pass rush too. Yes, they can rush the passer but are they phenomenal at it? No. They've average 2 sacks a game the past four games.

                              Seattle seems like KC, only with better DB's and a worse offense. Eliminate their home field advantage and they seem very vulnerable.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X