Deferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deferring

Was just over at patsfans.com and there was a thread where people almost unanimously said the Pats should defer bc they can score before half and in turn get 14 unanswered points.
    Here at the mane we were having the same conversation a couple days ago and the consensus here was the same for the same reason.
    The problem is only one team is going to score before half.

I think mathematically taking the ball to start the game is your best bet. And not only that but with half time defensive adjustments being so key there's less pressure on your defense in the first half if only slightly

We always defer. And it gives the deferring a very slight advantage

Comment

Originally posted by ATL-Eric View Post
      I think mathematically taking the ball to start the game is your best bet.
      show your math plz

ETA: whoever wins the toss will defer today imo

Comment

The only math that matters is the OP understanding he has met his thread limit for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
          show your math plz

ETA: whoever wins the toss will defer today imo
          http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=6322587

Comment

i don't generally like to patron espn so can you break it down in here?

Comment

The crowd is pumped as is the defense. Let the defense go out and lay the wood of some folks. It we get a 3 and out to start the game it could set the tone for the game.

Comment

ALWAYS defer. The Seahawks do it whenever they can, so it must be the right thing to do! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ATL-Eric View Post
                  Was just over at patsfans.com and there was a thread where people almost unanimously said the Pats should defer bc they can score before half and in turn get 14 unanswered points.
                  Here at the mane we were having the same conversation a couple days ago and the consensus here was the same for the same reason.
                  The problem is only one team is going to score before half.

I think mathematically taking the ball to start the game is your best bet. And not only that but with half time defensive adjustments being so key there's less pressure on your defense in the first half if only slightly
                  It's been the norm for all this season so far to defer eveytime the win the coin toss for the Denver Broncos, so if they're in a position today to be in control, you betcha' they're going to defer the ball...

Comment

Deferring is always the best imo. Always.

Comment

In theory, sure, it is logical thinking to defer so that you can score a TD right before the half and then another TD on the opening drive of the 2nd half. That's 14 easy points!

Yeah, but how often does that situation happen? It's possible for that to happen every game, but how often does it actually happen. I'd bet not often, so I wouldn't make a decision based on that.

Comment

The beauty all of this is that if you defer, you let them start the game on offense you make a stop defensively and then go on to score with your offense, is a mayor psychological edge right off the bat...

Comment

We have deferred every time we've won the toss for the past year... Maybe 2.

Comment

Take all the math out of it. If you're up 24-3 or down 24-3, wouldn't you want the ball at half?

Comment

Deferring is something fox in Denver has always done

Comment

Working...
                              X