Elway: "We had to clean up the locker room."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway: "We had to clean up the locker room."

Who/what do you think he was referring to? Or does he not really mean anyone/anything specific?

In his time as the Denver Broncos' chief football decision-maker, John Elway has routinely offered what he believed the first step was to get from the 4-12 team he joined in January of 2011 and the one that will play in the AFC Championship Game on Sunday.

As a player, Elway spent over two decades in locker rooms, either at Stanford or with the Broncos, and he didn't like the one he saw a floor below when he moved into his office three seasons ago.

"I think, No. 1, we had to clean up the locker room," Elway said. "We had to get the locker room right … and get the right mentality in that locker room because that is really life bread of what the organization is all about. How that locker room fits is the most important thing. If that doesn't fit -- what we're all doing really is not that important because you can't make it work."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...-an-inside-job

Lonnie ****ing Paxton

The #1 move I hated the most in the McD era, shown the light on what was to come for the time he was here. ahghhghghgh

Comment

Don't think it's one particular player. Had to get 1) the stink of the Patriots out of there and 2) the culture of losing.

Comment

culture of winning

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
          Don't think it's one particular player. Had to get 1) the stink of the Patriots out of there
          I know you're kind of joking, but some of our best players were Patriots or selected by former Patriots. Elway has been great about not caring who drafted you or where you played before so long as you could play. McDaniels was the one trying to purge the roster of any guy who wasn't Patriot. Dan Koppen Saved our season last year. Welker has been awesome.

Comment

McDaniels didn't believe in paying a cleaning staff. His nephew, Skeet, came in to pick up after games but mostly just hotboxed Maroney's locker and hung out in the soaking tub. The place was a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
              I know you're kind of joking, but some of our best players were Patriots or selected by former Patriots. Elway has been great about not caring who drafted you or where you played before so long as you could play. McDaniels was the one trying to purge the roster of any guy who wasn't Patriot. Dan Koppen Saved our season last year. Welker has been awesome.
              QFT!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                I actually didn't mean any players, but more getting rid of "The Patriot Way" and getting back to "The Broncos Way"

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                  Who/what do you think he was referring to? Or does he not really mean anyone/anything specific?

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...-an-inside-job
                  I don't think Elway's statement needs further explanation...
                  What is it you don't get?

Comment

I'm assuming he is referring to the overall attitude of the team rather any one player.

Comment

D.J. Williams - overpaid, whizzinator, DUI's, etc.
                      Willis McGahee - overpaid, getting older, fumbled, didn't come to camp
                      Lonie Paxton - overpaid, skipped the NE game in the playoffs
                      Tim Tebow - way too much sideshow, his erratic passing kept FA's away

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                        Don't think it's one particular player. Had to get 1) the stink of the Patriots out of there and 2) the culture of losing.
                        totally agree

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                          So does this mean Von Miller is gone if he as any more issues off the field?

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                            One of the first moves Elway made was signing McGahee. he was probably released due more to injury, age, salary, fumbles and roster space
                            Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 01-18-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                              So does this mean Von Miller is gone if he as any more issues off the field?
                              I haven't heard anything about him being a poor teammate. Most of his teammates seem to love him.

He does need to get himself together and grow up a bit, but I don't see him as a locker room cancer type.

Comment

Working...
                              X