Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Fox Is Rodney Dangerfield

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John Fox Is Rodney Dangerfield

    The man took a Jake Delhomme team to a Super Bowl, won a playoff game with Tim Tebow, and is on the verge of taking a second team to the Super Bowl (has that ever been done?). Yet, he never gets mentioned on a list of good or great coaches.

  • #2
    Shula and Reeves took different teams to the Super Bowl.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by frerottenextelway View Post
      The man took a Jake Delhomme team to a Super Bowl, won a playoff game with Tim Tebow, and is on the verge of taking a second team to the Super Bowl (has that ever been done?). Yet, he never gets mentioned on a list of good or great coaches.
      Yes.....2 other coaches have taken 2 different teams to superbowls.

      Don Shula
      Bill Parcells

      But no coach has ever WON multiple SBs with different teams.

      Edit: Dan Reeves was the 3rd.

      Comment


      • #4
        Forgot about Parcells. So it's actually:

        Reeves
        Shula
        Parcells
        Holmgren
        Vermeil

        No coach has won a Super Bowl with 2 different teams.

        Comment


        • #5
          And I think only 2 coaches has won multiple Superbowls with different starting QBs....

          Parcells won with the Giants with Simms in 1986 and Hostettler in 1990

          Gibbs won with the Redskins with Theisman, Williams and Rypien.

          Comment


          • #6
            John Fox looks like Bill Clinton.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BigPlayShay View Post
              Forgot about Parcells. So it's actually:

              Reeves
              Shula
              Parcells
              Holmgren
              Vermeil

              No coach has won a Super Bowl with 2 different teams.
              Doh........forgot about the other 2.....if we think long enough, probably more.....haha.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 55CrushEm View Post
                And I think only 2 coaches has won multiple Superbowls with different starting QBs....

                Parcells won with the Giants with Simms in 1986 and Hostettler in 1990

                Gibbs won with the Redskins with Theisman, Williams and Rypien.
                George Seifert with SF.

                1989 with Montana and 1994 with Young.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                  John Fox looks like Bill Clinton.
                  Bill Clinton looks like Jimma Carta

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Jack Del Rio is the Henry Winkler of Defensive Coordinators.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      How many QBs have gone to 3 Super Bowls with 3 different coaches?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
                        George Seifert with SF.

                        1989 with Montana and 1994 with Young.
                        George Seifert.....

                        Any of US could have coached that 1989 team to a SB win.

                        And for 1994.......Shanny's offense was the story there.

                        But, alas, you are correct.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          But, Super Bowl trivia aside, I agree with OP. I think his game day management (challenges, taking calculated gambles on 4th down, etc) has never been above average, which colors how some in the NFL media view him. But as a leader who flexibly game plans to his team's strengths (Teeeeeboooow) and brings energy but also a professional calm to the organization (next man up, next man up, next man up...) he's been one of the best.

                          And, in recent years, his coaching tree has started to take off in terms of coordinators getting HC jobs and top coordinators coming to work with him. I think he was a decent sized factor in Manning coming here. A Dungy-like cool professionalism that many players prefer. And he survived his heart trying to kill him this year! Dude deserves a ring.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                            John Fox looks like Bill Clinton.
                            My girlfriend, who is australian and has only recently been introduced to american football, asked me why Peyton Manning "changed outfits" mid game. I asked her what she was talking about, and 30 seconds later they show Fox on the sidelines. She says, completely seriously, "see, look."

                            There have been a lot of insulting things said about Peyton Manning over the years, but I assume this might be the most insulting.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kid A View Post
                              I think his game day management (challenges, taking calculated gambles on 4th down, etc) has never been above average, which colors how some in the NFL media view him.
                              You may view it as never above average (like a lot of people) because you would take more risks (assuming this). However, Fox is on the verge of being on a short list of coaches taking multiple teams to a Super Bowl. Maybe there is something to be said for his methods?

                              That said. When it gets down to a game or two at the end of the season - like now. I think the risk has to go up..because the reward goes up. Please push more chips into the pile on Sunday John. Go all in.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X