A couple of questions for you football experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions for you football experts

1. What does it mean when peyton is about to snap the ball and then he stops, runs up to the line, and points at a defensive player and says "51 is mike"? what does mike mean?

2. When I watch defenses play the lions, they double and triple team megatron. With chris harris injured, why not just put bailey and DRC on 1 receiver each, and double team the 3rd receiver to help out that cornerback? IF the lions can afford to triple team a player cant we afford to double team 1?

3. And last of all.... Its Wednesday and I still don't have my voice back from Sunday's game. I cant afford to go to 2 playoff games so you lucky SOBs who get to go this weekend better Rock That Building! GO BRONCOS!

Originally posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
    1. What does it mean when peyton is about to snap the ball and then he stops, runs up to the line, and points at a defensive player and says "51 is mike"? what does mike mean?

2. When I watch defenses play the lions, they double and triple team megatron. With chris harris injured, why not just put bailey and DRC on 1 receiver each, and double team the 3rd receiver to help out that cornerback? IF the lions can afford to triple team a player cant we afford to double team 1?

3. And last of all.... Its Wednesday and I still don't have my voice back from Sunday's game. I cant afford to go to 2 playoff games so you lucky SOBs who get to go this weekend better Rock That Building! GO BRONCOS!
    1. Mike means "middle linebacker" or the guy responsible for making sure people are in the proper place, on defense...

Comment

When Peyton is calling out the "Mike", he's identifying the player for blocking and protection purposes. It helps the offense know which player to block on any specific play and which direction to move their blocking and protection. That's the simplest explanation I can give.

The center will identify the Mike pre-snap, and Peyton may keep it that way (when you hear him say Mike is Mike) or he'll adjust it. I've heard him call out a DB as a Mike before, so it all depends on where he wants the protection or run blocking to be focused on any given play.
      Last edited by crush17; 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

It's short for Michael. He's most likely making dinner plans for after the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin8Nine View Post

1. I'm pretty sure he is pointing out which linebacker is the middle linebacker for purposes of blocking assignments.

2. They will likely give more safety help to Jammer/Carter/Webster no matter who they are on. New England does not have receivers worthy of schemed double-teams.

Comment

2. Champ need safety help nowadays.

3. You rock!

Comment

Originally posted by frerottenextelway View Post
              It's short for Michael. He's most likely making dinner plans for after the game.
              Spot on! /end thread

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
                When Peyton is calling out the "Mike", he's identifying the player for blocking and protection purposes. It helps the offense know which player to block on any specific play and which direction to move their blocking and protection. That's the simplest explanation I can give.

The center will identify the Mike pre-snap, and Peyton may keep it that way (when you hear him say Mike is Mike) or he'll adjust it. I've heard him call out a DB as a Mike before, so it all depends on where he wants the protection or run blocking to be focused on any given play.
                Great answer. Thanks. I have been wondering this since last year

Comment

Working...
                X