Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan (and media) obsession with number of Superbowl wins

What is the deal with that?

Fans and media continually drag up number of rings to compare players, but particularly QBs.

It is often said (not just by nauseating Pats fans) that Brady's 3 rings to Peyton's 1, proves that he is better.
    That logic also proves that Big Ben and Eli are better than Peyton and Aaron Rodgers.

It's just stupid, sure every player wants to win the big one, but it just doesn't happen for everybody.
    It may sound like a cliche when Peyton says it's not him v's Brady, it's the Broncos v's the Pats, but he's right.

Maybe Belicheat was the difference, maybe it was the stability of the D each year, maybe luck plays a huge part, but you can't pin anything on 1 player win or lose.

What about respect for the guy who is loyal and stays with his team even though they suck, or the guy who turns his team from perennial bottom feeders to winning records, he deserves respect too.

I suppose it's part of the American obsession with stats and the need to rank everything.
    I have always had a healthy respect for the eye test when comparing greats and there is almost a romantic view of the great player who was unlucky to not have a great team around him, but still managed to display his greatness.

Anyway, just always bothered me a little that the presence or lack of championships in a player's resume is always the major talking point.

I think, 1 championship is relevant. After that you look big picture.

Comment

Timmy Smith has 1 Super Bowl Ring.

Barry Sanders has no Super Bowl Rings.

Ergo, Timmy Smith is better than Barry Sanders.

Comment

What do all these guys have in common?

Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Tony Gonzales, Cris Carter, John Hannah, Anthony Munoz, Earl Campbell, Alan Page, Jim Kelly, Barry Sanders, Carl Eller, Eric Dickerson, Merlin Olsen, Bruce Smith, Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, and Warren Moon?

Comment

Look, sports journalism is a complete joke. Most of these guys aren't actually journalists...they are former players who get a TV job.

It's much easier to point to a number, like Super Bowl wins, and say 'this is the deciding factor' rather than doing actual analysis.

Brady was handed two rings by his defense, but he gets 100% of the credit for those wins. Manning has never, ever had a defense that could win a game for him.

Comment

Not to mention the often mentioned this week (ad nauseum) of how Brady owns Manning 10-4. Yes, and Rivers owned Manning in the playoffs also. Basically what I'm hearing from the media is that of the 4 teams left, the Broncos have the least chance of winning the SB. It will be one of the NFC teams. And Pats receive an edge over the Broncos because....they are the Pats. Awesome analizing there guys!

The bright spot, if there is one with the media, is that they do not consider the Broncos D as the worst of the 4 teams. NE gets that honor. But oh, it's because of the unusual amount of injuries they've had.

Comment

Originally posted by BowlenBall View Post
              Timmy Smith has 1 Super Bowl Ring.

Barry Sanders has no Super Bowl Rings.

Ergo, Timmy Smith is better than Barry Sanders.
              Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino.

Comment

Originally posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
                Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino.
                Josh McDaniels has more rings (3) than John Elway (2)

Comment

Originally posted by McD more rings than Elway View Post
                  I hope you have a horrific car accident and die slowly in it

Comment

I like how Shannon Sharpe was putting it, and I agree.

You don't need rings to be considered a great QB, but you do need rings to be considered one of the greatest QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dude View Post

Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Tony Gonzales, Cris Carter, John Hannah, Anthony Munoz, Earl Campbell, Alan Page, Jim Kelly, Barry Sanders, Carl Eller, Eric Dickerson, Merlin Olsen, Bruce Smith, Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, and Warren Moon?
                      HOF and no SB rings I believe

Comment

Originally posted by McD more rings than Elway View Post
                        Look at the pats fan equating an assistants impact with a starting QBs impact in a Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dude View Post

herpes?

Comment

My biggest gripe is Brady wasn't even that good when he won those. He was efficient and steady but basically he just had to get his teams into field goal range and lean on his defense.

Comment

But honestly I think most people who make those claims probably did not play much competitive team sports.

You would understand things like gameplanning, scouting, and all of the prep that goes into the game if you actually played the sport.
                              It is just an easy way for idiots to compare players rather than actually break down what happens in a game.

53 guys on each team with coaches and trainers, yea a lot more goes into a team's performance than just the qb

That or they are Patriot cock gobblers like Heath Evans

Comment

Working...
                              X