Concern from a Pats fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concern from a Pats fan?

I wasn't sure where this would be best, sooooo...

Hopped over to patsfans.com to see what their fans might be discussing and came across this statistical concern that seems to bode well for the Broncos.

"Each time the Patriots have lost in the postseason under BB/TB it has been a rematch of a team they played in the regular season. 05-Denver 06-Indy 07-NYG 09-BAL 10-NYJ 11-NYG 12-BAL. Is this trend something to be worried about come Sunday?

Between 2001-04 the Pats were 4-0 in postseason rematches (2-0 vs Indy, 1-0 vs Pit, 1-0 vs STL) Since 2005 they have gone 4-7.

BB/TB have only lost twice on the road in the postseason, once at Denver, and once against P.Manning. Does this mean they are doomed for Sunday, or is it a double negative and it means they will win?"

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-...l#.UtYuG3lH1SU

At the time, there weren't any responses. I didn't spend too much time there, but it seemed that there was a reasonable amount of level-headed posters who didn't have an anti-Broncos agenda to spew. But, then there were some raging homers as well.

Manning is 6-0 in rematch games the same season. He's at home too. It's the Patriots, though. They'll do their Patriot thing - get some calls, get some amazing turnovers, somehow stop our ubber-offense with below average players, Brady will complete an amazing pass to some no-name schmoe on third and 23 for a first down - No matter what we do, the Patriots will find a way to be in this game. We just have to keep pressing them.

Comment

Seemed pretty reasonable

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-...ing-page4.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
        Manning is 6-0 in rematch games the same season. He's at home too. It's the Patriots, though. They'll do their Patriot thing - get some calls, get some amazing turnovers, somehow stop our ubber-offense with below average players, Brady will complete an amazing pass to some no-name schmoe on third and 23 for a first down - No matter what we do, the Patriots will find a way to be in this game. We just have to keep pressing them.
        They will mug Denver's WRs and not get any calls for it.

Comment

Against the Pats, we cannot afford to follow our usual pattern of getting ahead by 3 scores and then "coasting". The Pats are capable of overcoming a big deficit and it can be difficult to regain momentum once the team starts to "protect a big lead" as opposed to actively trying to add more points. We need to keep it in mind that if they got a big lead, they would still be trying to run up the score on us -- so we need to do that to them any time we can.

Comment

Originally posted by huh?? View Post
            But, then there were some raging homos as well.
            FFY.

Yeah I know that's sexist, but it's still funny.
            Last edited by driver; 01-15-2014, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueflame View Post
              Against the Pats, we cannot afford to follow our usual pattern of getting ahead by 3 scores and then "coasting". The Pats are capable of overcoming a big deficit and it can be difficult to regain momentum once the team starts to "protect a big lead" as opposed to actively trying to add more points. We need to keep it in mind that if they got a big lead, they would still be trying to run up the score on us -- so we need to do that to them any time we can.
              I agree. My concern is that Fox's instinct once Denver is up by 2 or more TD's is to retrench, dig a moat around the castle, and try to outlast the expected siege.

This didn't work the last time we played the Patriots, and it will not work if we try to do this again on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
                They really are an objectionable bunch.

Some saying Peyton isn't a top 10 QB, my goodness the hate runs deep.

They also have the gall to say that Peyton gets a lot of media love, pot kettle
                Last edited by frozenconcentratedorange; 01-15-2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
                  I agree. My concern is that Fox's instinct once Denver is up by 2 or more TD's is to retrench, dig a moat around the castle, and try to outlast the expected siege.

This didn't work the last time we played the Patriots, and it will not work if we try to do this again on Sunday.
                  In a situation where you're playing a team that you're likely (or certain) to play again either in regular season or in the playoffs, then it can be a wise strategy to avoid humiliating them by running up the score (even if you could easily do so) and thus giving them extra motivation (unnecessarily) for the rematch. However, in the playoffs, it's win-or-go-home, so it was alarming to see the same strategy in play last weekend vs the Bolts. While the game was never as close as the final score might suggest, the Bolts are a better team than their regular-season record indicates (arguably better than the Chiefs; after all they did sweep them). The Bolts are capable of overcoming a big deficit and the decision to coast on the 3-score lead "could have" bit us in the butt. It didn't -- that time. We can't do that this week. IMHO.

Comment

We beat them by one hundred infinity points this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
                      I hope so. New England is weak against the run without Kelly/Wilfork and the last time our ground game with Moreno/Ball netted over 200 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
                        From the same link. This guy hates Manning for the same reasons he loves Brady.

"I don't like Manning's style of play. He's so afraid of contact to the point that he'll lay on the ground rather than run in to the endzone and get tackled from behind. He cannot improvise. He cannot move with his feet. He is maybe the most stiff and robotic looking qb in the league. He whines to the ref every time he gets hit (this is football). He can't throw the deep ball. He will beat you with his preparation, but that is not a style of football I like to watch."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                          Manning is 6-0 in rematch games the same season.
                          if we ignore the sd loss

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
                            if we ignore the sd loss
                            The stat is actually 6-0 in rematch games against teams who beat him in the first meeting.

Comment

Completely agree with Kaylore...

It could be a very strange game. You can't underestimate the importance and significance of Champ Bailey in this game. I know he's pressing, but we could be, god forbid, looking at his last game as a Denver Bronco. What a time for him to somehow reach down and give us something. And I say this as someone who appreciates his history and legacy with this team.

Comment

Working...
                              X