Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schefter: The loss of Harris means Denver is boned

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?story...86637&top&wjb=

To further illustrate Harris' value, the Broncos allowed a Total QBR of 43.6 in the regular season when Harris was on the field, according to ESPN Stats & Info. In the 81 snaps that he wasn't on the field, opponents had a Total QBR of 93.
    He's on the radio right now saying this is the most devastating injury we could have suffered on defense and that the Patriots are gods.

Comment

well of course! All we are going to hear this week is how great NE matches up against the Broncos and how it's just "next man up" by the mighty pats. But for the Broncos, forget about all the injuries we've sustained, because it's all been Manning anyway, amirite? Now that the all-world CB Harris is out, well, that may be the one single injury that the poor-poor Broncos could just not have.

forget the fact that no one in the media outside of Shefter even knows who Harris is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
        forget the fact that no one in the media outside of Shefter even knows who Harris is.
        Did they ever get around to mentioning that he left the game during the broadcast?

Comment

Comment

I don't disagree. For one glorious half yesterday we saw what this defense looks like when the secondary is mostly healthy.

Then we saw what it looks like (yet again) when a one of the starting corners goes down. Brady will absolutely pick them apart next week. There's no question about it. It will take a stunning performance from Webster/Jammer/Carter to save the season.

Otherwise our only hope is to win a shoot-out. Against the best team in the league over the last 12 years. Against a QB who has absolutely dominated this defense when it's been much healthier.

I have very little hope for next Sunday. Hope that Manning comes back next season and we can try again and hope for some better luck. Despite the fact that 3 key starters will be coming back from freaking ACL injuries.

*sighs*

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
              Did they ever get around to mentioning that he left the game during the broadcast?
              I don't think so. And no mention of Harris being out during all the after game analysis either. I mean, no one in the media even mentioned it.

Comment

So they are basing this on the value of the statistic that they created on their own, and using a sample size of 81 snaps to draw their conclusion that the broncos are in fact boned. Ok.

Comment

Originally posted by enjolras View Post
                  I don't disagree. For one glorious half yesterday we saw what this defense looks like when the secondary is mostly healthy.

Then we saw what it looks like (yet again) when a one of the starting corners goes down. Brady will absolutely pick them apart next week. There's no question about it. It will take a stunning performance from Webster/Jammer/Carter to save the season.

Otherwise our only hope is to win a shoot-out. Against the best team in the league over the last 12 years. Against a QB who has absolutely dominated this defense when it's been much healthier.

I have very little hope for next Sunday. Hope that Manning comes back next season and we can try again and hope for some better luck. Despite the fact that 3 key starters will be coming back from freaking ACL injuries.

*sighs*

like I said in another post, the onus will be on the defensive line to put pressure on Brady. Mincey, Ayers, Phillips, etc., they have to pressure Brady. Otherwise, it's gonna be a long day.

Comment

*sighs*
                    I don't entirely agree, but before everyone rips you, I want to say I can appreciate what you're saying. Miller, Vickerson, Wolfe, Moore, now Harris - how many more starters can we lose before the camel's back breaks? Harris may, indeed be it. But there also may be enough in Champ, Carter or even Jammer with a week's worth of practice knowing they are going to play, to keep it together for one more game at home. This offense (Pats) isn't that great. And our front seven played well so there is some hope there.

Comment

Pressure makes average secondaries great. Put pressure in Brady's face, he weeble wobble's to his left or right, throws up ducks. And a shootout against the patriots defense? So be it. They are not exactly world beaters.

Comment

The problem is: you can't expect to generate pressure if you can't force Brady to hold the ball. They're going to have a favorable matchup every time they drop back.

On top of that, Harris is a FANTASTIC tackling corner. In the first half last week the three corners were handling the screens and outside runs with ease. DRC, Champ, and Harris is a fearsome trio of run-stuffing corners. Now, you've lost that ability as well.

It's a real matchup problem. We took a big hit both in coverage AND in run-stuffing. You can move Champ outside. At least the Pats don't have a burner who is going to consistently run by him. Then you have corner matched up on a tight-end inside, with serious run stopping responsibilities.

It's bad juju for sure. Every personnel package I can think of leaves a gaping hole in the defense.

Comment

This wouldn't be so concerning if the Pats didn't already show that they could move that ball at will on us when one of our top 2 CB's went down. Since they did show it, and are now also running the ball a lot better on top of it, there is a little reason for concern...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                            I don't entirely agree, but before everyone rips you, I want to say I can appreciate what you're saying. Miller, Vickerson, Wolfe, Moore, now Harris - how many more starters can we lose before the camel's back breaks? Harris may, indeed be it. But there also may be enough in Champ, Carter or even Jammer with a week's worth of practice knowing they are going to play, to keep it together for one more game at home. This offense (Pats) isn't that great. And our front seven played well so there is some hope there.
                            Key is scoring every time the O has the ball. No turnovers and maybe we get one or two ourselves. Losing the only CB who has started the whole year hurts. I think our Run D can do enough to limit them on the ground and we get enough stops on D to win this.

I loved the way Mincy came in right away and was able to get a sack and force Rivers to move in the pocket multiple times yesterday.

There are going to be breakdowns in the secondary, the Pats are without the middle of their D as well, I think we outscore them at home and send them packing just like in 2005.

Comment

*sighs*
                              I think turning the ball over 4 times in one half might have had a say in that last game. Also DRC + Champ >>>>> Harris and Webster as starters. Peyton on 2 good ankles. Also I really like our current return game set up. Holiday is dangerous on KO's and less of a liability. We aren't at full strength by far...but I do think we are better than we were in the same match-up overall, while they have lost the number one weapon they hurt us with, and it's in our house.

Comment

Working...
                              X