Learning from the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning from the past

I know everyone has their attention completely on New England, but I want to look back at the end of the game yesterday.

Fox and Co. have been pretty roundly beat-up over the lack of aggression we had in closing out the game against Baltimore last year.

This year the team found themselves in nearly an identical situation. Actually it was frightening how familiar it felt. The ball in their hands with ~3:00 minutes left and the other team needing a touchdown to tie. Last year they ran the ball three times and punted.

This time they did something different. The team came out aggressive. It would have been easy to hand the ball off on 2nd and 17 or call a draw on 3rd and 17. They didn't. It would have been easy to sit on the ball on the ensuing possession, but they fired off a big time 3rd down pass to J. Thomas again.

Then they could have sat on the ball and punted with 20 seconds left. Nope, they came out firing with a risky wide receiver screen on first down. FIRST DOWN!

Talk about learning your lesson. Props to Fox, Gase, and Manning for refusing to fall back on bad habits.

Good point, and well taken. I hope we can stay aggressive. I think the NE comeback will be fresh in our minds as well, so no easing off the gas pedal.

The first down screen though @ the end of the game, was bad clock management by SD. They took that time out with 2mins 2 seconds left in the game, thereby guaranteeing the clock would stop with 2 mins. In that situation, an incomplete pass would take off as much time as a run, so gave us the option of run vs pass, without having to worry about bleeding the clock. Glad we took advantage, even if it was a screen.

Comment

Also I'm going to just put this here. Somewhere along the way I said about Chris Clark: "That dude just can't play".

I was wrong. He was a beast yesterday. The run that iced it went right behind the left side of the line. Beadles and Clark absolutely destroyed the defensive line. Moreno might have scored if he wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by enjolras View Post
        I know everyone has their attention completely on New England, but I want to look back at the end of the game yesterday.

Fox and Co. have been pretty roundly beat-up over the lack of aggression we had in closing out the game against Baltimore last year.

This year the team found themselves in nearly an identical situation. Actually it was frightening how familiar it felt. The ball in their hands with ~3:00 minutes left and the other team needing a touchdown to tie. Last year they ran the ball three times and punted.

This time they did something different. The team came out aggressive. It would have been easy to hand the ball off on 2nd and 17 or call a draw on 3rd and 17. They didn't. It would have been easy to sit on the ball on the ensuing possession, but they fired off a big time 3rd down pass to J. Thomas again.

Then they could have sat on the ball and punted with 20 seconds left. Nope, they came out firing with a risky wide receiver screen on first down. FIRST DOWN!

Talk about learning your lesson. Props to Fox, Gase, and Manning for refusing to fall back on bad habits.
        Agree with everything. The 3rd & 17 play was the play of the game; and kudos to OJ for dragging his foot perfectly, PMFM for hanging in there to the last second and delivering a great pass, and finally, kudos to the OL for superb protection and overall game.

One other thing, I think after watching the chargers this game, I think it is clear that the more conservative coach is Mcoy, not Fox.

Comment

I think Fox now understands that this offense will find a way to make the play when it needs to.

He tried to play it old school and conservative last season, and it didn't work. Now, he knows that you put the ball in Peyton's hands and trust him and Gase to figure out the right play to get the yards you need.

It's a sight for sore eyes.

Comment

Also I'm going to just put this here. Somewhere along the way I said about Chris Clark: "That dude just can't play".

I was wrong. He was a beast yesterday. The run that iced it went right behind the left side of the line. Beadles and Clark absolutely destroyed the defensive line. Moreno might have scored if he wanted to.
            Ramirez and Clark have stepped up like no one thought they could have. Pretty incredible. I wrote off both early in the season too. Glad to see them prove me wrong!

Comment

Watch that play agian. Moreno would have scored if J. Thomas would have actually blocked instead of going off celebrating. He ran to the right past the guy that made the tackle. He seals that edge, and Moreno is gone.

Comment

If we don't make stupid mistakes, I am not sure anyone can beat us. Let's hope the next 2 games show that.

Comment

Working...
                X