Let's Not Forget About Tony Carter AKA Sticky Man - He can flat out ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Not Forget About Tony Carter AKA Sticky Man - He can flat out ball

I know everyone is down on this guy, but while he has had his ups and downs, there is no denying that he can cover his ass off when given a consistent opportunity.

Just go and look back at the first two games of this seasons, 7 pass defended as the nickel db! Who does that? Last season, he was leading the league in completion percentage against for a good part of the season.

Yea, it sucks that Chris Harris went out, but JDR has to put this guy in his place, right? I mean, he has proven in the past that he is more than capable of holding his own.

Carter, who is playing in both the nickel and dime packages, is allowing a league-low completion percentage of just 28 (7 receptions in 25 attempts) among the league's 103 cornerbacks and who have been targeted at least 15 times.
    Just as impressively, Carter has broken up as many passes as catches he's allowed.

"That's my first time hearing that," Carter said. "That's a good thing. I can go home and tell my mom about that."

While he's not quite a household name, Carter's certainly more than just a big name in his own family.

Coach John Fox recently heaped effusive praise on his coverage skills, and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio praised his "sticky" man coverage that he's brought to Broncos' strengthened secondary.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/undra...r-afterthought

A big problem with carter earlier in the year when he was getting significant playing time was being too grabby/drawing too many p.i.'s (dallas game sticks out in my mind). Still think he is the best cover corner they could put in there.

Right now they have three options:
    -Carter, who covers but can't tackle
    -webster, who can tackle but can't cover
    -Jammer, who can't cover and is an average tackler

Who knows how the broken thumb will affect webster's cover skills. He's still a raw rookie and struggles with basic things, like faceguarding and slant routes. I trust carter more against the smaller pats receivers.

Comment

Something is up with Tony Carter.. is he in Jack Del Rio's dog house ? and why ?

I think he has even been inactive a few games.

Comment

That article is from more than a year ago.

Comment

If this game comes down to Tony Carter, the Broncos are in trouble.

Offense better step it up.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBen View Post
            Something is up with Tony Carter.. is he in Jack Del Rio's dog house ? and why ?

I think he has even been inactive a few games.
            Yea, I think the real reason Tony isn't playing is because he doesn't fit what Jack looks for in DB's: Big, physical corners who bump and run.

Tony was doing a good job this year until the Cowboys game when Dez abused him, but in all fairness, Dez abused everybody that game including DRC.

Tony is going to look bad covering 6"3" beast receivers down the field, but he should match up GREAT with Danny Amendola this week. They are like the same size.

Comment

DRC - Edelman MiniTron

Trev - Vereen

Champ - Amendola

Webster/Carter - Whoever else

Jammer - Gatorade fetcher

Comment

That article is from last year, when Carter was actually solid for us

This year he has been a train wreck
                He draws PIs every time he is on the field
                And he is the worst tackler on the team

Maybe he can cover smaller guys better, but Im not holding my breathe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                  That article is from more than a year ago.
                  No ****, why are harp on the inconsequential details when you don't have the ability deduce what was said from the paragraph above the quote to lend you clarity on said quote? I mean, and ask yourself this, how many players have their play praised in articles when they have been benched for a majority of the season? Only you couldn't make that distinction.

But for you, I will try.

Last season, Tony played a lot, was ranked among the best cbs in pass completion against for a good part of the season. This season, he looked great in the first two games, being credited for 7 pass defended. Then he was benched after the Dallas and has played sporadically ever since.

Here, the quote from the article below, shows what he was doing last year at this time when play was being praised.

Geez Louise, come on people.

Comment

I cant wait till Pricejj gets off work and comes into this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
                      That article is from last year, when Carter was actually solid for us

This year he has been a train wreck
                      He draws PIs every time he is on the field
                      And he is the worst tackler on the team

Maybe he can cover smaller guys better, but Im not holding my breathe
                      And Jammer is...what exactly?

Comment

Players decline. And it doesn't take long for it to happen. Carter last year is not carter this year.

Comment

Cue Action!

Comment

In all seriousness I want Carter on the field before Jammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                              Players decline. And it doesn't take long for it to happen. Carter last year is not carter this year.
                              How do you explain his seven passes defended this year in the first two game if his skills are declining? No Bronco has done that this year.

It could be that Kayvon Webster was more of what JDR wanted from his CBs size wise and as soon as Tony had a bad game, JDR put Kayvon in.

Not sure if it is "skills declining" at age 26 or more of not being exactly a JDR guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X