Replay blown again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replay blown again!

First off I am very happy with the game result...Denver was the better team and won the game fair and square.

But as to the first Denver turnover , ( catch and (ahem ) fumble by JT.

Just What is it going to take for the NFL to fix the replay system?

The review/replays clearly showed that Thomas never really got full possession of the ball as it was moving all the time , and then it came out when he hit the ground ( on his butt ) and in full contact with charger defenders. It was not picked up by a Charger until after it hit the ground. For the ref to uphold the call on the field of a catch and fumble he had to ignore two major things.

1. Thomas never really got control of the ball.
    2. If he did get control of the ball, he didn't lose possession until after his ass was on the ground. Which would have been a completion.

The only realistic options were an overturn of the completion ( which would have brought up 4th down) , or a completed catch with the ground causing the fumble, so no fumble.

Now I know that the D promptly shut down the Chargers anyway so No harm no foul. But that could have changed the game and they got it wrong again.

Pereira also commented that it should have been an incomplete pass, as did several other ex refs in the FO game thread. So, I am not off base with this.

They really need to take replays OUT of the field crews decision process, because they simply don't want to look like the fools, they sometimes are.

Horrible call!

Ya I was sure they would call it ass down, seems we are due to have the refs call a game in our favor

Comment

That call was atrocious. Par for the course when it comes to NFL refs these days. Seriously this the worst I've ever seen it.

Comment

I was flabbergasted that they, APPARENTLY, didn't have enough evidence to overturn the "fumble". Fortunately, it didn't hurt us in the long run...

Comment

His butt hit the ground first
          At worst it should of been an incompletion due to not completing the catch.

It was a terrible call

Comment

I didn't understand how that wasn't an incompletion to be honest. He NEVER had possession really.
            By the time he was gathering it in, San Diego defender knocked it out. Incomplete. Oh well.

Comment

I would ask Charger's fans this: if that play happened in the end zone and it was called a TD, how pissed would you be?

Comment

The review/replays clearly showed that Thomas never really got full possession of the ball as it was moving all the time

I said when watching the game, the easy way to decide this... if he was in the end zone, would that have been called a touchdown?

Of course not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedhed View Post
                  I would ask Charger's fans this: if that play happened in the end zone and it was called a TD, how pissed would you be?
                  Beat me by 2 min. Exactly right.

Comment

Incomplete pass as, he didn't complete the process as the rule is written. I still can't believe that call was upheld. Absolutely terrible blown call.

Comment

It could have been ok if they didn't have a good angle of him hitting the ground, or the ball, or something.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that the "call on the field stands." It sure as **** should have either been confirmed or overturned with the angles they had, but they say it "stands"? What the ****?

Comment

If the pass wasn't incomplete, his ass was down.

Comment

Originally posted by Popps View Post
                          The review/replays clearly showed that Thomas never really got full possession of the ball as it was moving all the time

I said when watching the game, the easy way to decide this... if he was in the end zone, would that have been called a touchdown?

Of course not.
                          If Calvin Johnson's wasn't a touchdown then this wasn't a reception. That was my view on it too.

Comment

I'm hearing the NFL is looking at a centralized replay review in league headquarters like the NHL does. This would be a better system. Take the replay reviews out of the hands of the field ref. Not only would a crew of video judges at an offsite location probably make better calls, it would save time from the field ref jogging to and from the onfield replay machine. And I would guess the equipment at an offsite location would be superior to the onfield setup.

I was at the game today and Ed McCaffery on the radio broadcast after looking at the replay said it would be ruled incomplete. McCaffery and his partner Dave Logan were surprised it was ruled a fumble. "First one I got wrong all year," said McCaffery, on guessing what the replay official would rule.

Comment

Originally posted by titan View Post
                              "First one I got wrong all year," said McCaffery, on guessing what the replay official would rule.
                              But certainly not the first one a replay official has gotten wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X