Julius Thomas Jumped Through Hoops to Get Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julius Thomas Jumped Through Hoops to Get Here

Mostly a fluff article, but some interesting stuff about his family background:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/09/julius...2013-playoffs/

“He was getting frustrated because they were expecting too much from him coming off of surgery,” says his father, Greg, a high school and former college receiver. “They told him he wasn’t running full speed in one of the preseason games, and he called me and said ‘Dad, if this is what it takes, then maybe this isn’t for me. I’ve got to use these ankles for the rest of my life.’ ”

Word of Thomas’ frustration got back to John Elway and the Broncos’ front office. A decision came: Shut him down, but not all the way. Rather than put him on injured reserve, Thomas was moved to the practice squad in October, so he could play scout team tight end and outside linebacker and catch up on all those football practices he missed out on because basketball coaches warned him against injury his whole life.

Fluff piece yes, but interesting nonetheless.

Comment

This is SI?

I don't even need to read the whole article... parallelism mistake in the first sentence.

Comment

John Elway is a genius, he knew what he had in Julius, he knew he just had to get him healthy and he would thrive in this system. I would not be surprised to see John win at least 3 or 4 Super Bowls as a GM.

Comment

He makes plays. Go JT! We need you on this SB run.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatspirits View Post
            John Elway is a genius, he knew what he had in Julius, he knew he just had to get him healthy and he would thrive in this system. I would not be surprised to see John win at least 3 or 4 hundred Super Bowls as a GM.
            fyp

Comment

Better than I thought he'd be he's had a great year, now don't pull a Von and get all cocky, fat, illegal, suspended, and injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow View Post
                fyp
                Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
                  Better than I thought he'd be he's had a great year, now don't pull a Von and get all cocky, fat, illegal, suspended, and injured.
                  No worries, Julius has a great head!

Comment

Originally posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
                    Being careful not to overstate, JT is in effect a rookie this year. Think of the potential that he has going forward. When the nuances of playing the position of TE become automatic, combined with the raw skill he already possesses, he might be talked about in the same vein of Gonzales, Sharpe and Gates. We can only hope.

Comment

Good read. Love that damn guy, even if he was raised a Raiders fan.

Comment

Working...
                      X