Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paris Lenon is the last holdout of the XFL...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paris Lenon is the last holdout of the XFL...

That was a fun year. Who remembers this Vince McMahon attempt at football entertainment?

http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci...edium=facebook

Remember this thing? Run by pro wrestling kingpin Vince McMahon, who wanted to provide an alternative to the NFL, the XFL was over-the-top, from the personas to the nicknames to the uniforms to the rule changes. For one glorious (notorious?) year, this wild pro football league was in full, furious function. That was 2001, and now, here in the 2013 NFL season, only one player from the XFL is still kickin' in the NFL. And that player is Broncos starting linebacker Paris Lenon.

"It was entirely different than the National Football League," said Lenon, 36, who has taken over as the middle linebacker for Wesley Woodyard. "I'm pretty sure people have a lot of jokes about the league, but at the time for me, it was a situation where I had the opportunity to play in NFL Europe or stay in the states and make more money. And that's what it boiled down to."

He was a member of the Memphis Maniax (I'm still trying to figure out how to spell the singular version of that nickname). Lenon had played at the University of Richmond, and after being cut by the Carolina Panthers, he revived his career with the Maniax, which led to jobs in the NFL for more than the next decade.
    Last edited by Pick Six; 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM.

Competition for the NFL... That's funny

Comment

Is Paris starting?

Comment

Xfl was a blast...cheerleaders would come up in the stands during the time outs in Las Vegas and sit on your lap. It encouraged all kinds of foul play by other female attendees.

A world where Tommy Maddox ruled - Won both an XFL Championship and Super Bowl

Comment

It wasn't an alternative to the NFL....they played during the NFL offseason. It was attempting to capitalize on the football starved fans of summer.

Comment

I liked NFL Europe more because the drafted NFL players so they could get more reps.

Comment

I liked the XFL. Esp the coin toss.....well, run to the 50 and fight for the ball.

I mostly liked it because it put a team back in B-ham.

Comment

It was doomed as soon as it was established that it was going to be a single-entity league.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                  He hate me.
                  Ruled

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
                    It was doomed as soon as it was established that it was going to be a single-entity league.
                    The MLS says

Comment

Originally posted by Conklin View Post
                      The MLS says
                      Totally different situation

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
                        Totally different situation
                        because it disproves your argument?

Comment

Sure why not. If that's how you want to play it.

I'm not interested in arguing over this. If you can't figure out how Vince McMahon & a single entity owner structure combo wasn't a bit sketchy to most... don't know what to tell ya. Not to mention MLS has no other national competition to be measured against. And even still it's been a major struggle financially.

Of course this is but a start to the differences... but we can just go with your "disproves your argument" if you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Conklin View Post
                            The MLS says
                            Commie kick ball.....

Comment

The XFL brought a lot of things to the table that the NFL later adapted and advanced. It was fun to watch but at times it was brutal skill level wise to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X