Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sounds obvious, but CANNOT let them run the ball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds obvious, but CANNOT let them run the ball.

All season as the playoffs got closer I kept thinking that we can't let teams beat us deep in the playoffs like Baltimore did last year. And while that is still the case this game is kinda unique, and I have changed my opinion a little. We absolutely positively cannot let them run the ball and control the clock. I honestly think it would be better to get beat deep a time or two than to let them consistently get 5-7 yards a carry and have 6-8 minute drives. I believe we have a better chance to beat them getting in a shootout where we have the ball close to 30 minutes and get a lot of possessions than we do if we only have the ball 21 minutes with less possessions.

Both times we played them the T.O.P. was 38+ - 21+. If that is the case again that means they are running the ball and moving it, and even if they have to settle for field goals a couple of times it pretty much guarantees the game will be close in the fourth quarter which none of us want. I'd rather shut the running game down and force Rivers to throw 30+ times even if it means they hit a big play or two and end up scoring in the high 20's with a time of possession around 30 minutes. If that is the case I have almost no doubt we score at least 30 points with the amount of possessions we would get.

The thing I fear the most is a game where we let them have the ball close to 40 minutes again and we have to score on 75%-80% of our possessions. I'd rather them score a few more points but have quite a bit less possession.

I half think that stacking the box and going man to man cover zero, while very risky, isn't a half bad idea. We can handle a quick strike, boat race but I don't want to see the Chug break 20 yds rushing for the day.

Comment

Isn't one of the backs (Woodhead?) out or at least hurt from the Bengals game?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/6...ers-vs-broncos

EDIT: IT was Mathews

He looks to play this weekend.
      Last edited by broncocalijohn; 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderH8r View Post
        I half think that stacking the box and going man to man cover zero, while very risky, isn't a half bad idea. We can handle a quick strike, boat race but I don't want to see the Chug break 20 yds rushing for the day.
        Exactly. I would rather them score 27 points and have the ball for 30 minutes where we get say 12 possessions than for them to score 23 points, but have the ball for 38 minutes and we only get 8 possessions.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
          Isn't one of the backs (Woodhead?) out or at least hurt from the Bengals game?
          Mathews didn't finish the game and was seen in a boot after the game.

Make no mistake about it though, he'll play. The question is how long. Still, I think the D will be pumped up and make the necessary run stops.

Comment

woodhead is the guy that scares me. he's a chain mover and rarely goes down from first contact. he won't get tons of carries but always seems to get through holes or catch a pass on 3rd down.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
              woodhead is the guy that scares me. he's a chain mover and rarely goes down from first contact. he won't get tons of carries but always seems to get through holes or catch a pass on 3rd down.
              Yep.

I'm just picturing a game where S.D. can't run and I don't see us losing even if Rivers has a lot of yards.

I'm also picturing a game where they are running the ball but Rivers doesn't do a lot and that scares the hell out of me.

Comment

I am more worried about us running the ball. If we run for 110 +, we win, hands down. Our last run attempt against them was just terrible. If we run well, we win, it won't even matter what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFox View Post
                  I am more worried about us running the ball. If we run for 110 +, we win, hands down. Our last run attempt against them was just terrible. If we run well, we win, it won't even matter what they do.
                  I think the power of Ball needs to be seen vs Chargers. That could be the key as he is one of the better runners after first contact.

Comment

If we handle our business on 3rd down (both ways) none of this will matter. Totally killed us last time.

Comment

Really it depends on our offensive execution more than theirs. If we execute early, they'll have to give up the run.

Comment

My biggest concern is that SDs o-line is balling right now.

I fear Rivers won't even get his jersey dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                          I think the power of Ball needs to be seen vs Chargers. That could be the key as he is one of the better runners after first contact.
                          Would you say we need to go Ball deep on the Chargers?

Comment

You are definitely on point. I also hate seeing the soft coverage we play where they dink and dunk all over us and still get 5-8 yards a play. And then we never adjust because we don't want to get burned for a big play.

Its frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Stout View Post
                              Would you say we need to go Ball deep on the Chargers?
                              We need to show them our Ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X