Broncos vs. Chargers (Playoff Edition) - Keys To Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos vs. Chargers (Playoff Edition) - Keys To Win

Don't get it twisted, beating the Chargers won't be easy. In fact, it will take the Broncos best game of the year to win. The Chargers are playing top-flight right now, and could go all the way to the Superbowl if they win in Denver. To win, execution is key.

1. No Turnovers - Almost everything went right for the Chargers in the last game, yet the Broncos had a chance to tie with 5 minutes left in the game. Neither Peyton Manning (nor anybody else) can expect to have any turnovers, and win the game.

2. The Offense Needs to Score - 10 points in the 1st half? Not good enough. All year long, this Offense has been feast or famine. Scoring in 3 minutes or less, or going 3-and-out. Continually putting your Defense on the field, will cause them to break down late in the game. The Chargers are the worst in the league in Defensive Efficiency, yet are 12th in scoring Defense. How do they manage that? By limiting the amount of total possessions. When the Broncos Offense has the ball, they need to score. It's as simple as that.

3. Win the Field Position Battle - The last game, the Broncos Offense constantly started drives inside their own 10 yard line. They weren't able to sustain drives and punted to the Chargers, giving them great field position. Obviously, fielding punts at the 6, with no one around, isn't going to cut it.

4. Keep Your Head in the Game - Multiple offsides, 12 men on the field, and letting WR's run free when your supposed to be in man-coverage killed the Broncos Defense in their last meeting. Those are all mental errors, that occurred pre-snap. Hard to win, if you're not paying attention.

5. Bailey/Harris/DRC - While the Broncos Defense will be heavily keyed against the run, the Chargers would be wise to use the bootleg or play action for wide open looks down the field. This is where DRC, Chris Harris, and Champ Bailey will need to stay vigilant, as Safety help will be mostly non-existent. I expect the Broncos to play a mix of soft and press-man coverage. The Broncos have the CB's to win most of the time against Charger WR's.

6. Run Fits - Mitchell Unrein says the Broncos think they can dominate the Chargers Offense with proper run fits, and vertical DL flow to the ball. With the Broncos playing a bunch of backups, it's easier said than done.

Look at this stretch run from Ryan Matthews. JDR has the right call. 5-man front on 1st and 10. The Chargers have 7 men on the OL, and the Broncos know what to expect (run to the right). Ayers gets great penetration, sealing the edge and forcing Matthews inside. Unfortunately, Unrein leaves a huge gap. Trevathan and Adams, slightly overpursue to the edge. The end result? A 9 yard gain.

The next play, the Broncos 5 man front played perfect. Matthews had no choice, but to use his speed to gain the edge. Of course, Safety Bolden waited downfield, instead of attacking, allowing Matthews an easy 8 yard gain.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pricejj; 01-07-2014, 12:24 AM.

Limiting the Chargers run heavy (yet unpredictable) and highly efficient Offense will take a much more cohesive Broncos Defense playing in unison for 60 minutes.

7. Don't forget not to get beat over the top - The Chargers know the Broncos will focus on stopping the run with Safety help. Note to Mike Adams: On top of all of your other duties...just keep this one in the back of your mind.

Comment

The Defense needs to play aggressive between the 20's. Even at the expense of giving up a couple big plays. The last thing I want to see is the Chargers bleeding out the clock while grinding away yards. That's been their MO all season. The Chargers are tops in the league at time of possession, but not so heroic in the redzone.

I'm more than willing to trade FG's for PFM touchdowns all day long. What I don't want to see is 8 min. grinders that lead to FG's while PFM is falling asleep on the bench. The Chargers are going to get their share of yards in between the 20's. I'd rather it be in a few large chunks here and there than crawling down the field watching the clock expire.

The refs are going to let them play so have the CB's & Safeties get physical and keep and extra in the box for the run. Yes, that may mean more penalties and big plays. It also means we either stop them or they get to their FG range sooner allowing us to get to our TD's sooner. I trust our D against their O in the Redzone a lot more than between the 20's and I trust we'll easily outscore them if it's a fast paced game with lots of possessions.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
        Limiting the Chargers run heavy (yet unpredictable) and highly efficient Offense will take a much more cohesive Broncos Defense playing in unison for 60 minutes.

7. Don't forget not to get beat over the top - The Chargers know the Broncos will focus on stopping the run with Safety help. Note to Mike Adams: On top of all of your other duties...just keep this one in the back of your mind.
        This is something that concerns me. Chargers beat the broncos with strong run game and comeback routes last time. Broncos may overcompensate this time and be more susceptible to double moves and the deep ball in general with the lack of depth at safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly_Eli View Post
          This is something that concerns me. Chargers beat the broncos with strong run game and comeback routes last time. Broncos may overcompensate this time and be more susceptible to double moves and the deep ball in general with the lack of depth at safety.
          Ravens 2.0 if we start letting deep balls launched over our heads. I'd like to think after two bouts and what happened last year that our coaching staff is aware of this though.

Comment

Sly Williams get some penetration up front and not let Philip Rivers step up.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
              6. Run Fits - Mitchell Unrein says the Broncos think they can dominate the Chargers Offense with proper run fits, and vertical DL flow to the ball. With the Broncos playing a bunch of backups, it's easier said than done.
              Where did you hear/read this?

Comment

Score more points than San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by Action View Post
                  Light rail, obviously.

Comment

8. Pressure Philip Rivers - if he stands in a clean pocket all afternoon the Broncos will have another long offseason

Comment

Originally posted by Action View Post
                      Mitch Unrein was on 104.3 The Fan last night that's probably where he heard it.

Comment

I think having Welker back will be huge. He's very good at converting 3rd downs.

It's not going to be an easy game, but Denver will have to trip up to lose it (TO, penalties, etc).

Comment

Spread them out defensively by going 3 WR, 1 TE and a RB and hang 40+ on their asses. That secondary, although improved, still shouldn't be able to hang with our WR's.....

Comment

I think the fact that the chargers aren't a good team is the key to this game. I don't know why people are worried.

Comment

We've gotta force them into 3rd a long situations and avoid those convertions.
                              I think their running game is lethal in key downs situations and we need to fix that.
                              Their offense style is run heavy and powerful with precise passing when needed, that formula keeps Manning on the sidelines...

Create turnoves early, score early and often, and their game plan will have to switch back onto the shoulders of Phillip Rivers, and I like that a lot...

Comment

Working...
                              X